Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 25 2009, 05:56 PM   #1
Alex1939
Captain

Bad Transcript: Star Trek 2009 (satire)

I liked (but did not love) the new movie. Not sure if this has been posted here or not, but I thought it was really funny and the best "hater review" of the new movie.

I'm pretty new to this forum but I'm surprised by how polarizing this film is on both sides. I find it impossible to believe that anyone could say this was the "best" or "worst" star trek movie ever made. Obviously some are, but I think thats ridiculous.

Anyway, thoughts on this "bad transcript"?

http://bbot.org/badtranscript-startrek.html
Alex1939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2009, 06:31 PM   #2
Silent_Bob
Fleet Captain

Re: The best "hater" review.

Alex1939 wrote: View Post
I liked (but did not love) the new movie. Not sure if this has been posted here or not, but I thought it was really funny and the best "hater review" of the new movie.

I'm pretty new to this forum but I'm surprised by how polarizing this film is on both sides. I find it impossible to believe that anyone could say this was the "best" or "worst" star trek movie ever made. Obviously some are, but I think thats ridiculous.

I've not seen anyone on here call it the "worst Star Trek" film. Both sides still seem to agree that that honour should belong to either Insurrection or Nemesis.
Old May 25 2009, 07:31 PM   #3
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Alex1939 wrote: View Post

I've only read about half of it, but it's pretty funny -- kind of like a "Five-Minute Voyager" version of the movie, only snarkier.
The motto of the Corbettite Order seems to be Ite Animose... a Latin phrase that can be translated as "go courageously." Alternatively, it can be rendered as "boldly go," which bears a striking resemblance to a phrase heard during the opening credits of a certain popular television series.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2009, 08:24 PM   #4
Cdr MacDuff
Lieutenant Commander

JIMMY BENNETT
I hope the audience is enjoying watching me dangle from a cliff by my fingertips, because they're going to be seeing a lot of it.
Cdr MacDuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2009, 01:33 PM   #5
stonester1
Rear Admiral

My vote for worst is still TFF, hands down. I can watch the other two w/o wanting an adult beverage.
Old May 26 2009, 02:14 PM   #6
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

Silent_Bob wrote: View Post
I've not seen anyone on here call it the "worst Star Trek" film. Both sides still seem to agree that that honour should belong to either Insurrection or Nemesis.
Actually, no. I've seen a few calling it the worst, even below Nemesis etc

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2009, 02:40 PM   #7
Kruge
Lieutenant Commander

Location: Furiously shuttling between the Prime and Alternate Universes...
Send a message via Yahoo to Kruge

I wasn't the best Trek...in my humble opinion, it was much better than any TNG-era movie, and falls right behind TWOK

Still a fine action film though, and I think out of the prequels I've seen in the past few years (Batman Begins comes to mind), this one gets me the most excited about the future of this Alternate Trek
Old May 26 2009, 02:42 PM   #8
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I think it may be the best Star Trek film - it's far and away the best-made and most expansive of the films. I'm sentimentally attached to TWOK, but that may be the only thing protecting its "best" status.

I mean, come on - look at the rest of 'em. How steep a hill do you think "best" is to climb, here?
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2009, 02:53 PM   #9
Alex1939
Captain

Pretty steep.

After TWOK, I'd easily put TUC above this film. A much better story, albeit a political one. A great ending.

The search for spock, I'd easily put that above new trek as well. The scenes where Kirk and co. have to steal the Enterprise. The scenes with Kirk and the Klingons.

Personally, I thought First Contact was much better as well.

Dennis, you're acting like all star trek movies have sucked before. This new movie did a lot of things great, effects (love the new warp and transporter effects)... but the overall story plot is swiss cheese. I can't say the same about the other movies I listed, certainly not to the degree of the new movie.

Anyway, glad some people got some laughs out of that review, know I did. Thought it did a nice job of slamming the movie and summing up why I don't find it "perfect" or best ever like some.
Old May 26 2009, 02:59 PM   #10
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

"Don't hypo-spray me, bones!"

Old May 26 2009, 03:08 PM   #11
Alex1939
Captain

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
"Don't hypo-spray me, bones!"

Except it's "Brones!"
Old May 26 2009, 03:46 PM   #12
Jedi Marso
Commodore

Pine: "Great, I'm captain. Now what?"

Pegg: "Let's go to the Winchester!"
Old May 26 2009, 04:31 PM   #13
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

CHEKOV: "Eef ve are coming out ov warps in Tetons ahtmozphere, ve Romulans can not ve detecting us."

ESCAPE POD: "[Spock] totally stranded you here, because he's a total dick. Also: if you go outside you will die."

KIK: "Whatever, I do what I want!"

KIRK goes outside and is almost immediately attacked by a TAUN-TAUN.

I loved this Star Trek movie, but I also love snarky reviews like this.

SULU: "Why do they have to drill a hole for the singularity? And how are they managing to bore a hole in liquid rock?"

DIRECTOR J.J. ABRAMS: "Shut up, NERD."

Old May 26 2009, 05:06 PM   #14
Cryogenic
Lieutenant Commander

Pretty darn good, though the author barely ripped on half the things he could have. This movie just has so much to offer even an amateur satirist, in my opinion.
Cryogenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2009, 05:24 PM   #15
Cdr MacDuff
Lieutenant Commander

Its not a hater review. Its only a parody/satire (with sarcasm). Theres some funny quote in this script.

CAPTAIN BRUCE GREENWOOD walks in and saves CHRIS's dumb ass.

BRUCE GREENWOOD: CHRIS, you should enlist. Starfleet needs more wildly overconfident hotheaded alpha male rebels. Plus, your test scores were amazing.

BRUCE looks directly at the AUDIENCE.

BRUCE GREENWOOD: CHRIS is smart.

BRUCE GREENWOOD: CHRIS, I want you and JOHN CHO, as well as a literal redshirt, to go down and blow up that drill thing.

ZACHARY QUINTO: Rather than shoot it with a torpedo or something, we have to risk the lives of the first officer, the pilot, and the chief engineer?

CHRIS PINE
I hope I get to dangle from something by my fingertips!
"Fingertips" should be Kirk's middle name.

ZACH easily destroys the plasma drill, something that the united militaries of Earth apparently found impossible, then flies the red matter ship into ERIC's ship, creating a singularity which begins to consume it.
Its a fair(-er) criticism, I found the future Romulan, Vulcan and Federation much helpless in this movie. Obviously it was to let the Star Trek crew shine, but it seem a little much.
Cdr MacDuff is offline   Reply With Quote