Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old June 11 2009, 04:35 AM   #46
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: TNG DVD Transfers

Over time, I will own them all!

J.
-=- I still wish upon stars -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2009, 04:48 AM   #47
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

Well if they do remaster TNG, they should really go out on enhancing the FX scenes (don't just redo the ship shots staticly like the series does now. Have ships spinning in and out of orbit in dramatic swoops. When Romulans show up, don't just have the Warbird decloak in front, have them decloak on top and move in so damn close we can wipe our hands on the outer hull).

For "Where no one has gone before" redo the whole shots so we really get a taste of what the universe looks like (what's currently there is not bad, but you can still tell the matte shots from each other).

For "Qwho" don't just show the Enterprise get shot from behind one torpedo at a time. Show the Borg really bringing it down on them, like the Naruda did to the Kelvin in the new movie.

For BTOBW, show the Wolf 359 Battle in full force, getting it's ass kicked (like in the DS9 intro)

For that scene where they had to blockade the Romulans, there were supposed to be 20 ships, and I think we got to see 3? Show the damn 20 ships flying to the blockage point and show them in grid formation.

Stuff like that. There is so much potential to make TNG kick ass. Think TOS's "the doomsday machine" original episode and compare to the remastered one.
GalaxyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2009, 05:02 AM   #48
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Oddly enough, I like TNG as it is. For me, just cleaning it up would be sufficient.

J.
Old June 11 2009, 05:10 AM   #49
ManaByte
Lieutenant Commander

View ManaByte's Twitter Profile

GalaxyX wrote: View Post
Well if they do remaster TNG, they should really go out on enhancing the FX scenes (don't just redo the ship shots staticly like the series does now. Have ships spinning in and out of orbit in dramatic swoops. When Romulans show up, don't just have the Warbird decloak in front, have them decloak on top and move in so damn close we can wipe our hands on the outer hull).

For "Where no one has gone before" redo the whole shots so we really get a taste of what the universe looks like (what's currently there is not bad, but you can still tell the matte shots from each other).

For "Qwho" don't just show the Enterprise get shot from behind one torpedo at a time. Show the Borg really bringing it down on them, like the Naruda did to the Kelvin in the new movie.

For BTOBW, show the Wolf 359 Battle in full force, getting it's ass kicked (like in the DS9 intro)

For that scene where they had to blockade the Romulans, there were supposed to be 20 ships, and I think we got to see 3? Show the damn 20 ships flying to the blockage point and show them in grid formation.

Stuff like that. There is so much potential to make TNG kick ass. Think TOS's "the doomsday machine" original episode and compare to the remastered one.
They can't add scenes in the remastering; they are limited to the existing time for each effects shot. They can only enhance, so showing the full Wolf 359 battle is out of the question as the scene doesn't exist.
ManaByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2009, 05:12 AM   #50
J. Allen
Best Pony™

^ I guess I could handle SFX remastering, but I've always felt the special effects were sufficient for the jobs they had to do. Aside from one or two instances, the SFX have always been top notch.

J.
Old June 11 2009, 05:24 AM   #51
ManaByte
Lieutenant Commander

Only seasons one and two need effects work. But to go HD they would need to redo it all.
Old June 11 2009, 05:34 AM   #52
Bonzo the Fifth
Commander

Send a message via ICQ to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via AIM to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzo the Fifth

ManaByte wrote: View Post
Only seasons one and two need effects work. But to go HD they would need to redo it all.

Yeah, there's just no way around it, due to the nature of the film stock...

As for the FX aspect, I'd be happy if they just adopted the pragmatic conservativeness used in the TOS remaster... a mostly faithul re-rendering of the original shots, with the occasional flourish or enhancement where it would really make an impact, or when it can be used to cover plot holes, glitches or undo special FX failure from the original shots.

And having seen the job done with the TOS blu-ray, obviously it's possible to have your cake and eat it too, since they can keep the old shots for those that just want a cleaned up live-action picture.
Bonzo the Fifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2009, 05:36 AM   #53
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Yep. All I want is clean images.

J.
Old June 11 2009, 05:47 AM   #54
ManaByte
Lieutenant Commander

Bonzo the Fifth wrote: View Post

Yeah, there's just no way around it, due to the nature of the film stock...

As for the FX aspect, I'd be happy if they just adopted the pragmatic conservativeness used in the TOS remaster... a mostly faithul re-rendering of the original shots, with the occasional flourish or enhancement where it would really make an impact, or when it can be used to cover plot holes, glitches or undo special FX failure from the original shots.

And having seen the job done with the TOS blu-ray, obviously it's possible to have your cake and eat it too, since they can keep the old shots for those that just want a cleaned up live-action picture.
There was some CG used in TNG, and I'd imagine that the original files still exist so they wouldn't have to recreate much.
Old June 11 2009, 02:23 PM   #55
Similitude
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Similitude

ManaByte, I loved your reviews way back in the day. Were you also the same guy who did the Mailbag and all that?
Similitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2009, 08:50 PM   #56
JoeD80
Captain

TV DVD pricing has come down across the board. When the original TNG DVDs were first coming out, FOX was still charging $150 per season of X-Files. That doesn't fly anymore (unless you're HBO...).
Fox still charges relatively high for their DVDs. I never see House DVD's much under $50.
JoeD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2009, 10:09 PM   #57
ManaByte
Lieutenant Commander

Similitude wrote: View Post
ManaByte, I loved your reviews way back in the day. Were you also the same guy who did the Mailbag and all that?
Yes.

JoeD80 wrote: View Post
TV DVD pricing has come down across the board. When the original TNG DVDs were first coming out, FOX was still charging $150 per season of X-Files. That doesn't fly anymore (unless you're HBO...).
Fox still charges relatively high for their DVDs. I never see House DVD's much under $50.
$50 is about standard MSRP for a TV season these days.
Old June 11 2009, 10:32 PM   #58
J. Allen
Best Pony™

I was watching "The Inner Light" last night on my Alternate Realities collection, and it looked very good. I don't know what they did to it, but the artifacting and grain was hardly noticeable.

J.
Old June 11 2009, 11:39 PM   #59
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

I'm watching TNG right now on DVD, and I admit S1 and 2 look rough but they always did. The rest of the seasons always looked fine to me.

From the OP's picture up-thread I'd ask what kind of TV he is using, because judging from that screen-cap (setting aside any oddities with taking a picture of a TV, uploading it and then putting it here) I'd ask what kind of TV he is using. I'd guess a CRT or early RP.

My TV is an HD RP and TNG's DVD looks fine and perfectly watchable for me.

Old June 11 2009, 11:52 PM   #60
ManaByte
Lieutenant Commander

Also it depends on how your player is hooked up to the TV.