RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 143,246
Members: 25,413
Currently online: 554
Newest member: Alter Ego

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old May 31 2009, 12:08 AM   #1
Aike
Commander

Why Does D.C. Fontana Never Speak About Trek?

I have never seen any interviews with D.C. Fontana that were published in the last ten-twenty years.

Does she not like to talk about Trek?

And:

Has she ever written anything about her experiences?
Aike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2009, 12:19 AM   #2
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: Why Does D.C. Fontana Never Speak About Trek?

Aike wrote: View Post
I have never seen any interviews with D.C. Fontana that were published in the last ten-twenty years.

Does she not like to talk about Trek?
What about this?
http://morjana-subductionleadstoorog...interview.html

http://www.firingsquad.com/news/news...searchid=12419

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/features/bst/article/2843.html

DC Fontana has done many interviews over the years, but the media tends to interview people who are currently working on shows. I met her at a science fiction convention in New Zealand (which she attended with Dennis Skotek, her SPFX whiz husbad) and she loves chatting ST.

She recently did publicity for IDW's "Year 4" comics, because she wrote "The Enterprise Experiment" for them. Before that, she wrote "New Voyages: To Serve All My Days" fanfilm, featuring Walter Koenig, and did some interviews.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2009, 06:18 AM   #3
Jptrekker
Captain

Location: the marketing dept. of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation

She did an interview for the TAS DVD set, and that only came out a few years ago.
Jptrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2009, 06:23 AM   #4
Too Much Fun
Commodore

There's a whole featurette named after her on the "Star Trek Remastered" DVD set! It's an interview called "Writer's Notebook - D.C. Fontana". I really respect how much experience she has with Star Trek, her enthusiasm about Star Trek, and the fact that she's done so much great writing in different Star Trek shows. I was very happy to read an interview where she said how much she loved DS9 for the excellent characters and character development.
Too Much Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2009, 04:53 PM   #5
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

Alright, we've established that she does talk Star Trek. However, one must also realize that there is a lot more to her life than just this one show. I know as proud as I am about certain accomplishments in my life, at times I get tired of talking about them, too. Especially if I've been talking about them for 40 years.
I know I went to a lecture she gave at my university some years ago, and she gave the entire talk without mentioning Star Trek. Her talk was about screen writing, and it was very interesting and informative.
At the end, when someone did mention Trek, she was quite happy and accomodating to answer any and all questions.

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2009, 06:07 PM   #6
perigee
Lieutenant Commander

sbk1234 wrote: View Post
In all the history of the world, a riot has NEVER broken out at a Sci-Fi convention.
To be fair, in Philadelphia in 1976, I did see a drunken fistfight start over matter-antimatter cold intermix...
perigee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2009, 06:13 PM   #7
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Alright, we've established that she does talk Star Trek. However, one must also realize that there is a lot more to her life than just this one show. I know as proud as I am about certain accomplishments in my life, at times I get tired of talking about them, too. Especially if I've been talking about them for 40 years.
I know I went to a lecture she gave at my university some years ago, and she gave the entire talk without mentioning Star Trek. Her talk was about screen writing, and it was very interesting and informative.

Reminds me of the time Leonard Nimoy spoke at my college back in the eighties. The poor guy was trying to promote his tv show, IN SEARCH OF, which he was heavily involved with at the time, but every time he took a question from the audience, it was about Spock and STAR TREK. He was gracious about it, but it must have been kind of frustrating. (I don't think anybody asked a question about IN SEARCH OF all night!)
Old May 31 2009, 09:58 PM   #8
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

perigee wrote: View Post
In all the history of the world, a riot has NEVER broken out at a Sci-Fi convention.
To be fair, in Philadelphia in 1976, I did see a drunken fistfight start over matter-antimatter cold intermix...
The exception that proves the rule. It's just too much trouble for me to change my signature, so it stays.

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2009, 10:47 PM   #9
igrokbok
Commodore

Has she seen the movie? I'd be curious to hear her take on it.
igrokbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2009, 11:33 PM   #10
Praetor
Vice Admiral

D.C. also (co-?)wrote the story for the "Star Trek: Legacy" game. That was only, what, two years ago?

Everything I've ever read about her contributions to TOS and TNG make me think she is due a lot of credit that she doesn't get. For that, she could (and I'm not saying she necessarily is) be a bit weary of talking Trek too much.
igrokbok wrote: View Post
Has she seen the movie? I'd be curious to hear her take on it.
Me too.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2009, 03:00 AM   #11
Botany Bay
Commodore

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post

She recently did publicity for IDW's "Year 4" comics,
Not her best work IMO, but we can forgive her this time I think

Interesting how many of the top flight episodes were written by D.C. - we owe her a lot, and it would have been fascinating to see how a Justman-produced, Fontana-script edited third season might have turned out.
Botany Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2009, 03:14 AM   #12
Gary Seven
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would be surprised if D.C. Fontana would feel good about how her work was taken by the new Star Trek production... haven't heard any kudos from JJ or Orci/Kurtzman for DC... let alone any remuneration for basically lifting a couple of her scenes for the movie... And next week comes more rip off of DC, "Land of the Lost"... yet, DC is never mentioned as a creative force for that either... I would think she would be feeling a bit dejected.
Gary Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2009, 03:58 AM   #13
barnaclelapse
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to barnaclelapse

It's weird. As a struggling writer, I know that my mindset right now is geared towards the idea that I would be incredibly grateful to have that one thing that managed to break through into the world and make an impact, even change a few lives for the better (which I believe Star Trek did). But at the same time, I know that as an artist I would be frustrated to find my efforts to tell new stories beyond that one moment of brilliance being met with indifference or entirely too much dedication to that one moment of brilliance.

If that makes sense.

The closest I can come to it can be drawn from my experience writing stage plays. The first one I ever wrote was a pretty decent hit, seeing productions in Chicago, Philadelphia, my old high school and a prestigious theater festival in Richmond. At certain points, it was even very nearly adapted into both comic book and short film form. I spent a good couple of years after that focusing my time and energy on other plays, some of which were far and away (in my opinion) much better than that first effort. But I could never get any of them out the door. The only luck I ever had with stage plays always came back to that first one.

It's nothing on the level of Fontana or Nimoy, so I guess that's why my mind still has this idea that having one thing hit people on the level that Star Trek has wouldn't be so bad.

Not that they seem bitter about it or anything.

I've since moved on to writing screenplays in the scriptwriting field, but I still occasionally try to shop my stage plays around.

The play saw its biggest success over five years ago. It's still probably the biggest hit I've had as a writer. And in those cases, when enough time passes, you do begin to fear that you only had the one good moment in you.

Again, it's weird.
barnaclelapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2009, 04:27 AM   #14
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Trek XI borrowing? D.C. Fontana stories

Gary Seven wrote: View Post
for basically lifting a couple of her scenes for the movie
Please tell us which scenes in ST:XI and which stories/episodes from DC Fontana were used.
Details please. Sources?
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2009, 04:30 AM   #15
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile
Re: Trek XI borrowing? D.C. Fontana stories

jefferiestubes8 wrote: View Post
Gary Seven wrote: View Post
for basically lifting a couple of her scenes for the movie
Please tell us which scenes in ST:XI and which stories/episodes from DC Fontana were used.
Details please. Sources?
Scenes from "Yesteryear" come to mind when Spock's childhood is explored in the new movie.
Ryan Thomas Riddle is online now   Reply With Quote