RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,653
Members: 24,810
Currently online: 611
Newest member: Damix

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

View Poll Results: Please vote for TWO avatars!
5 33.33%
1 6.67%
9 60.00%
6 40.00%
6 40.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 30 2009, 05:41 AM   #1
Orac
Admiral

VOTE | TOS Avatar Contest #37 | The Immunity Syndrome

Welcome to the TOS Avatar Contest voting thread!

Please for two avatars; single votes do not count. Don't vote for yourself. Leaving the names off was intentional, both for space reasons (poll options are limited to 100 characters each) and so people don't swoop in and vote based on name.

Here's the breakdown of names (with the respective avatar to make it easier for you to post who you have voted for):

Gary7

JINX-01

NCC-1701

orac

Shaw

ENTER | TOS Avatar Contest #57: The Enterprise Incident
Orac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2009, 12:02 PM   #2
M
Vice Admiral

Re: VOTE | TOS Avatar Contest #37 | The Immunity Syndrome

Shaw and orac for me, please.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2009, 02:56 AM   #3
Mallory

Pinned.
Old May 31 2009, 11:28 PM   #4
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Gary7 and NCC-1701 for me, with Shaw deserving an honorable mention.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2009, 12:47 AM   #5
LNJM906
Lieutenant

Gary7 and NCC-1701 for me as well. =)

Warum lesen Sie meine Unterschrift?
LNJM906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2009, 02:45 AM   #6
M
Vice Admiral

Thanks for the win, guys! I will post the new contest tomorrow.

(Just a note on this poll: Again there were a lot of people voting for only one instead of two avatars in this contest; although this time it didn't affect the outcome. But please read the rules, folks. We try to be fair here and apply the same rules to every contest. Single votes haven't counted in the past; so they shouldn't now. Or am I too anal about it? What do others think? )
Old June 3 2009, 03:20 AM   #7
JiNX-01
Admiral

View JiNX-01's Twitter Profile

People actually vote for only one entry?! I have enough trouble limiting it to TWO!
-- Mahatma Gandhi --
JiNX-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2009, 04:50 PM   #8
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile

NCC-1701 wrote: View Post
Thanks for the win, guys! I will post the new contest tomorrow.

(Just a note on this poll: Again there were a lot of people voting for only one instead of two avatars in this contest; although this time it didn't affect the outcome. But please read the rules, folks. We try to be fair here and apply the same rules to every contest. Single votes haven't counted in the past; so they shouldn't now. Or am I too anal about it? What do others think? )
I just assumed that in a contest with 5 entries there would be only one vote, since I think it's streching it a bit to be able to vote for 40% of the field, but maybe it's just me.

Plus: There always is the chance that someone only likes one entry, so should s/he just randomly chose a second one just to conform to the rules? I think that would screw the vote more than if s/he just voted for the one s/he likes.
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2009, 05:41 PM   #9
apenpaap
Commodore

Defcon wrote: View Post
Plus: There always is the chance that someone only likes one entry, so should s/he just randomly chose a second one just to conform to the rules? I think that would screw the vote more than if s/he just voted for the one s/he likes.
They can vote on the avatar they disliked least in that case.
Old June 4 2009, 12:05 AM   #10
ria 75
Fleet Captain

Location: The other side of the frog pond ----------------- Avatar by Wicca who Wonta

You can't force people to vote for two if they only want to vote for one. Nowhere else on the board is there such a rule. The rule is that the number of votes you get is proportional to a minimum number of entries. I am not sure of the exact number, but what I am sure of is that for 5 entries, you only vote for one. It is supposed to reduce the risk of a tie.

Voting for more than one also fails to designate the #1 favourite a person wishes to vote for.

Example: in a VOY av contest, where everybody has 2 votes, in the episode category, I am entering a beauty shot of space. Everybody else is entering characters. Almost everybody give one vote for a character, and one vote for my beauty shot. In a one vote situation, would I have won? I'm not so sure. (Although it was an original and beautiful avatar.)

It is also not right to make a rule and then enfore it in an inconsistent way. Not that I disapprove of the tolerance in this particular contest.

If you want less voters and entrants to participate in your contests, keep making up rules like that and enforcing them at your convenience. You're sure to win if you're the only entrant(s).
Old June 4 2009, 12:45 AM   #11
M
Vice Admiral

I just assumed that in a contest with 5 entries there would be only one vote, since I think it's streching it a bit to be able to vote for 40% of the field, but maybe it's just me.
No, I agree, one vote might have been enough for only five entries. I can't speak for orac here (who set up this poll), but personally I never know when to go with one vote or two. Where exactly is the cut-off?

Yeah, I never really looked at it that way. I pretty much always like more than one entry. And in the rare case that I do like only one, I do what apenpaap suggests here ...
apenpaap wrote: View Post
They can vote on the avatar they disliked least in that case.
ria 75 wrote: View Post
It is also not right to make a rule and then enfore it in an inconsistent way.
Which is exactly what I'm trying to avoid here! You almost make it sound like we're changing the rules every other contest or applying them differently every time. No, that is most definitely not the case. The rules have been the same since I took over this contest over a year ago. Which is why I started this inquiry in the first place. I'm not sure myself if it is the right way to go. And seeing now that some feel the You Must Vote For Two rule is rather nonsensical, I'm seriously thinking about changing it. The thing is, I don't want to change the rules at will. I want to ask everyone. Because this isn't really my contest. Nor is it orac's. It belongs to us all. And it is meant to be fun. Which brings us back to the reason why I originally asked about this. I wanted you guys to decide.

So, if the consensus is that we should modify the rules, then this is what we'll do.
Old June 4 2009, 05:41 AM   #12
JiNX-01
Admiral

View JiNX-01's Twitter Profile

I think that there should be an upper limit on votes but if someone really wants to vote for just one... that ought to be a perogative.
-- Mahatma Gandhi --
JiNX-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2009, 07:28 AM   #13
Orac
Admiral

Well I usually find it hard to pick just one to vote for, perhaps we should have a poll in the next contest thread to determine what the voting rules should be...

ENTER | TOS Avatar Contest #57: The Enterprise Incident
Orac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2009, 03:50 PM   #14
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile

No, I agree, one vote might have been enough for only five entries. I can't speak for orac here (who set up this poll), but personally I never know when to go with one vote or two. Where exactly is the cut-off?
Well, I personally would allow 2 votes in the TNG contest if there were 10 entries in a category (not that there ever would be 10 people entering ). But that's just me, I'm not sure that there's a board-wide consensus on what the ratio should be.
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2009, 04:02 PM   #15
ria 75
Fleet Captain

Location: The other side of the frog pond ----------------- Avatar by Wicca who Wonta

ria 75 wrote: View Post
It is also not right to make a rule and then enfore it in an inconsistent way.
Which is exactly what I'm trying to avoid here!
Funny, you're only quoting the part I like the least in my post.
You almost make it sound like we're changing the rules every other contest or applying them differently every time. No, that is most definitely not the case. The rules have been the same since I took over this contest over a year ago. Which is why I started this inquiry in the first place. I'm not sure myself if it is the right way to go. And seeing now that some feel the You Must Vote For Two rule is rather nonsensical, I'm seriously thinking about changing it. The thing is, I don't want to change the rules at will. I want to ask everyone. Because this isn't really my contest. Nor is it orac's. It belongs to us all. And it is meant to be fun. Which brings us back to the reason why I originally asked about this. I wanted you guys to decide.
Sorry, I may have judged a little hastily. I based my observations on the last 2 TOS av contests.

I also made this post because of late, I am seeing quite a few av contests across the boards hosted by Orac, maybe several times in a row, with a style of ruling that sounds more authoritative than fun.
So, if the consensus is that we should modify the rules, then this is what we'll do.
Again. If I got this right.
But thanks for the consultation, and considering a change.
I personally would allow 2 votes in the TNG contest if there were 10 entries in a category (not that there ever would be 10 people entering ). But that's just me, I'm not sure that there's a board-wide consensus on what the ratio should be.
It seems like in Voyager, the minimum for 2 votes allowed is 6 (or 5) entries. Maybe it should be more than 6. Since last time we ended up with a 3-way tie in the episode category.
In current DS9 av contests, there is only one vote with 6 or 7 entries, and guess what? No ties!

To conclude, I'd like to add, it's OK to allow 2 votes, even in a 5-entry situation, because voters may not want to choose between their 2 favourites, as long as you don't forbid (and invalidate) voting for less than the maximum allowed. I think this is the way to truly reflect the choices of all voters.

In SFF av contests, where there are always more than 15 entrants and 3 votes allowed, newcomers regularly don't notice, and vote for one. Then they admit that at least, they voted for their favourite. And the contest goes on undisturbed. There would be other examples.

Last edited by ria 75; June 4 2009 at 04:30 PM.
ria 75 is offline   Reply With Quote