Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 2 2009, 04:18 AM   #16
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Re: Heroes, anyone?

Dorian Thompson wrote: View Post
Not anymore. I'd be surprised if Quinto came back after his success with Star Trek. Why would he want to?
Loyalty. Greg Grunberg introudced him to JJ Abrams in the first place. Sure, it would be the Hollywood way to scram and not look back, but I get the feeling he's not so much the Hollywood scumbag type (yet).
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2009, 04:22 AM   #17
Dream
Admiral

I want to try some of the drugs the writers were using when they made Sylar go from good to bad to good every episode in volume 3. It must have been wicked!

Hopefully they use the characters better next season.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2009, 05:00 AM   #18
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
I want to try some of the drugs the writers were using when they made Sylar go from good to bad to good every episode in volume 3. It must have been wicked!

Hopefully they use the characters better next season.
I think I know what they were going for there (and with all the other good/evil pingponging they put the characters thru). Something to do with the notion that the powahs!!! are too much for mere mortals to handle, and it leads them to do evil things either through carelessness, naiveity, rationalization, or in Sylar's case, because his powers are a good/evil on/off switch that he is helpless to control.

Interesting idea, actually. But wow, they had no idea how to execute it. And in Sylar's case, it required blatant contradiction of previously established "facts" about the guy.
Old June 2 2009, 07:04 AM   #19
Hermiod
Admiral

I do watch Heroes but it's often a frustrating experience. Whenever they can't think of a way to explain why character X can't use power Y to solve a problem, they just depower that person.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2009, 08:55 AM   #20
Jax
Admiral

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Not anymore. I'd be surprised if Quinto came back after his success with Star Trek. Why would he want to?
Loyalty. Greg Grunberg introudced him to JJ Abrams in the first place. Sure, it would be the Hollywood way to scram and not look back, but I get the feeling he's not so much the Hollywood scumbag type (yet).
Heroes is done in 17 more episodes so why not stick around for one final paycheck and then release a few book saying I am Sylar, I am Not Sylar
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2009, 09:08 AM   #21
Teelie
Vice Admiral

TheArsenal wrote: View Post
Did. Past tense. Won't again.
Ditto. I tried but it became so literally formulaic you knew what would happen before it would happen. Hiro, Peter and Silar would be overpowered, something/one depowers them only for them to regain it. Claire has a crisis about her humanity. Silar can't decide if he's good or evil. Nathan can't decide whether he's a politician or not and what path to follow. And Suresh, they really did a number on him.

I quit even before the midway point of season three. I was already bored of season two's bombs and season three was a repeat of them. Season one, that was how I was expecting the series to go. No hero safe, no villian unkillable. No telling what would happen. Then they go and ruin it.
Teelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2009, 02:56 PM   #22
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

I bet when his contract is up though, he won't renew...that is of course, if the show is still on the air.
Old June 2 2009, 06:38 PM   #23
LitmusDragon
Commodore

I thought that during the third season finale the plot careened to new levels of shark jumping absurdity. Yet I'm still probably going to watch it next year. It has such a strong cast. It's a shame the writing comes off as haphazard so often.
LitmusDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2009, 07:14 PM   #24
TrekNut87
Captain

View TrekNut87's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to TrekNut87

I do, though not religiously. I agree with many other posters that the show has gotten to be quite frustrating over the years. I absolutely loved season one! Season two was ok and three was pretty mediocre. I'll probably tune in for the new season, just to see where it might go, but I'm not too excited about it.
TrekNut87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2009, 04:26 AM   #25
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
I bet when his contract is up though, he won't renew...that is of course, if the show is still on the air.
Honestly, they need to conclude Sylar's story in S4. If they get an S5, Quinto shouldn't be in it. They've set up something potentially interesting for this season (assuming they don't blow it again), but the only way I can envision it concluding "correctly" is