Quinto Sports New Trek Uniform
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Star Trek: Renegades Released Early
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Final Trek To Boldly Go Video Honors Nimoy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Star Trek Timelines Game
By: T'Bonz on Aug 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old July 21 2015, 10:21 PM   #1
Kilana2
Fleet Captain

Founders and Solids living in Peace?

Is it - after the the Dominion War, and given that the Founders are xenophobic - possible that changelings and solids can live in peace?

Odo as part of the Great Link may have a positive influence.

On the other hand there was Laas - he never related to Odo's friendship to many of the solids.
Old July 21 2015, 11:14 PM   #2
Bad Thoughts
Commodore

Re: Founders and Solids living in Peace?

Is there evidence that societies shift away from racism? It happens, often slowly, but more rapidly in the face of a crushing defeat and with the help of thoughtful leaders. I could not myself imagine the shift in German attitudes without Adenauer directly seeking alliances with Israel and support from Jewish organizations, something which helped to reconstruct German identity.
Bad Thoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2015, 11:41 PM   #3
hux
Commodore

View hux's Twitter Profile

I'm not sure what the litverse says about it but I honestly don't see it. As much influence as Odo might have, I think the countless other changelings will influence him more.

It always seemed like they would be nervously on guard as long as that wormhole was accessible.

I see the Dominion staying in the Gamma quadrant but building for war. Always building.
Old July 21 2015, 11:54 PM   #4
Kilana2
Fleet Captain

As to the litverse it is a `we leave you alone and you leave us alone´situation between the AQ and the Dominion.

I'm wondering if and how many shapeshifters are still at large in the AQ, disguised as Lieutenant Whoever or so....

Here is at least one shapeshifter in the forum...
Old July 22 2015, 07:57 PM   #5
kkt
Lieutenant Commander

I expect the Dominion launched an invasion force going the long way back around season 4, and it should reach the Alpha Quadrant in 90 years or so.
kkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2015, 11:36 PM   #6
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

In the long long term, sure. In the short term, the Dominion probably went dark and consolidated GQ power.

I agree the Founders would want to keep spies in the Federation. But, to do that, it would have to be spies who never had contact with the Link after Broken Link. Or else they'd be dead, or they wouldn't have been able to get through the sensor net that the Fed undoubtedly installed at the entrance to the wormhole after the war.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2015, 09:32 PM   #7
Kilana2
Fleet Captain

There must still be changelings around in the AQ, even after the end of the war. The question remains: what are they up to?
Old July 27 2015, 01:29 AM   #8
kkt
Lieutenant Commander

Keeping an eye on everything to smooth the way for the battle fleet. I'm sure some Founders were in the AQ from season 2 if not earlier.

Was it ever established that the Founders were ignorant of the wormhole until Dax and Sisko discovered it?
Old July 27 2015, 02:13 AM   #9
TheVortaKeevan
Lieutenant

kkt wrote: View Post
I expect the Dominion launched an invasion force going the long way back around season 4, and it should reach the Alpha Quadrant in 90 years or so.

I'm sure when the fleet arrive in the Alpha Quadrant they are nothing more then an Armanda.
TheVortaKeevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2015, 12:19 PM   #10
Shada Dukal
Lieutenant

Location: The Free and Democratic Interzone, a proud member of the European Dominion

Solids and Changelings can learn not to invade each other’s space. This is enough. The Changelings can expand as much as they want within their quadrant if they don’t threaten the borders of the solids in the AQ and BQ. No need to be best friends, a grudging peace will do. The question is whether the solids will stop their incursions through the wormhole and their expansion into the Gama Quadrant? They may call it exploration but from a Changeling’s point of view, it is a downright invasion.
Old July 28 2015, 02:46 AM   #11
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

I don't buy that there is a Dominion fleet heading toward the AQ. You need a base of operations and supply lines. If the Dominion fleet is heading toward the AQ they're doing it slowly conquering and establishing power bases as they go. So maybe 200 years.

I think the solids will stop making incursions into the GQ. At least for a while. The Federation is perched at the only access point and if they went 75 years without making a cloaking device they'll sure as hell uphold a treaty that is actually a good idea. But they'll probably occasionally sent out communications to try to start up diplomatic relations, because the Federation.

Given the logic of the Trek universe, I think a couple centuries in the future the Federation and Dominion do coexist peacefully.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2015, 03:28 AM   #12
wulfio
Captain

I doubt it. The founders were basically mustache twirling villains. Ironically, the Vorta, and Jem'Hadar(who were bread for singular purpose) were written much more sympathetically, and dynamically, than those who are ultimately their leaders/gods.
wulfio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2015, 10:38 PM   #13
kkt
Lieutenant Commander

That brings up an interesting question. The Female Changeling was out of touch with the Great Link for most of the Dominion War and acting on her own. Maybe she was especially harsh during the war and the rest of the Link would have been willing to coexist with the other AQ powers?
Old July 28 2015, 10:41 PM   #14
Kilana2
Fleet Captain

It all depends on Odo's influence. I guess a grudging tolerance, nothing more, is possible. The Founders are still xenophobic. Laas didn't get along with the solids after all.
Old July 29 2015, 12:15 AM   #15
Hando
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via ICQ to Hando Send a message via AIM to Hando Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Hando Send a message via Yahoo to Hando

Could they live in peace? As people of course they could. After all we have already seen and met several shifter species and there has been no great anti-shifter crusade.

It may be that we see this from the point of the Federation, an open multi-species society, which is less fearful of others. While single-species nations and autocratic empires would have more issues with the Changelings.

There are however also some other issues. The Dominion itself, it is set up as an absentee absolute bureaucratic monarchy. There appears only a handful active Founders, while the rest is embroiled in an never-ending orgy. So only those active Founders could find out that not all solids are bad, however it is these active Founders who are waging the war. Also remember that the Dominion is is constantly at war or participates in a conflict - after all the average life expectancy of a Jem'Hadar is 15 years, even if they are able to live at least by 30.
Even with Odo as part-ruler, or later co-ruler, we have not seen any significant changes in policy in the Dominium.