Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old June 10 2009, 02:43 PM   #46
Lightinspire
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Could Star Trek V be salvaged

Actually that is the budget AFTER Paramount cut it drastically and left Shatner virtually nothing to work with.
Lightinspire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2009, 03:24 PM   #47
ManaByte
Lieutenant Commander

View ManaByte's Twitter Profile

I got to interview Shatner back in 2002 prior to the Collector's Edition of Star Trek V DVD release, and yes I think it could really be salvaged.

He apparently asked Paramount for the money to go back and fix it up like The Motion Picture Director's Edition, but they wouldn't budge.
ManaByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2009, 10:32 AM   #48
noknowes
Lieutenant Commander

Lightinspire wrote: View Post
Actually that is the budget AFTER Paramount cut it drastically and left Shatner virtually nothing to work with.
why did they cut the budget.why did they sabotage shatner's effort.why would a studio shoot itself in the foot?

st4 made a lot of money so it would seem reasonable they would do their best for the next film to build on the success of the previous one.

yet they seemed to have set out to destroy/sabotage their own product.

why?

this has never been fully explored or explained.could paramount people in charge at the time be interviewed to get the truth?
noknowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2009, 12:59 AM   #49
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

yet they seemed to have set out to destroy/sabotage their own product.

why?

this has never been fully explored or explained.could paramount people in charge at the time be interviewed to get the truth?
That would be interesting to know. It seems to me that Paramount was very stingy when it came to Trek, and seriously hampered their abilities to make more money.

If ST V had the necessary budget and a bit better writing, it would have blown the doors off ST IV in revenue.
Old June 13 2009, 03:42 PM   #50
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

Studios make illogical decisions, it seems, sometimes.
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2009, 05:13 PM   #51
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Upgrade Star Trek V ?

Trekweb has an article up from Friday about the idea of possibly upgrading STV since it is having a 20th Anniversary.

Time To Upgrade Star Trek V? Feature May Be Worth Revisiting In Light of 20th Anniversary
http://trekweb.com/articles/2009/06/...iversary.shtml
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2009, 05:25 PM   #52
Warped9
Admiral

You know when I first saw the title of this thread I though it said, Could Star Trek V be savaged?

I was all ready to say, "Yes. Most definitely!"
Old June 14 2009, 10:50 PM   #53
JediKnightButler
Captain

View JediKnightButler's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to JediKnightButler Send a message via AIM to JediKnightButler Send a message via Yahoo to JediKnightButler

After Star Trek IV completed the "trilogy" that started in TWOK and brought everybody (and everything) back together, I was excited to see where they would go next with our intrepid characters. I was initially let down with TFF with its poor FX (when compared to the previous three movies) and campy humor which, compared to TVH, felt kind of juvenile at times. However, the relationship between Kirk, Spock, and McCoy was actually surprisingly quite well done all things considered. Seeing most of the crew more or less get "brainwashed" by Sybok was kind of weird but I liked that they kept Kirk, Spock, and McCoy (and Scotty?) from getting sucked into Sybok's quest (Kirk: "I need my pain") despite their ultimate inability to stop him. Sybok's sacrifice at the end was well done, particularly how he uses his "pain-healing" meld on the "God" entity in order to allow the others time enough to escape. Ya' know, I actually don't think it was really that bad now that I think about it some more. Certainly not one of the stronger of the films but it did IMHO have a good theme to it.
JediKnightButler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2009, 10:58 PM   #54
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

noknowes wrote: View Post
Lightinspire wrote: View Post
why did they cut the budget.why did they sabotage shatner's effort.why would a studio shoot itself in the foot?
These things are budgeted on a cost-versus-expected-return basis, and unfortunately that sometimes becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Paramount lowballed the movie because they had no confidence that it would make enough money to justify a higher budget.

Meyer nearly cried in a budget meeting when the suits did the same thing to ST 6 - he was memorably told "This is a business, if you want love go home to your family." They were essentially saying that they didn't expect much out of the movie and were therefore unwilling to invest much in it.

As to why such projects aren't simply killed outright - beats me.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2009, 11:11 PM   #55
flemm
Fleet Captain

I'd like to be optimistic here, but I think probably not. Beyond all the other numerous points already brought up, there is the fact that the crew is so geriatric at this point that they just seem out of place in their respective roles, and the whole concept of Starfleet seems to have devolved into a sort of thirty-year high school reunion in space.

Really this a problem in all the TOS features to a certain degree, although it is exacerbated in the later films. The one truly excellent TOS film, TWOK, is excellent partly because it embraces the confrontation with one's mortality as the primary theme. Still, getting old is hardly sustainable as a focus for sci-fi adventure over the course of numerous films.

Star Trek just needed new blood, and needed it badly.
flemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2009, 09:19 AM   #56
Kirk1980
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to Kirk1980 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kirk1980 Send a message via Yahoo to Kirk1980

*incomprehensible mumbling

Let's see what's out there...
Kirk1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2009, 12:49 PM   #57
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

a timely 2 part article on the making of STV

The Making of Star Trek V, Part 1: 20 Years Later
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit...w/news/?a=7966

The Making of Star Trek V, Part 2: From the Archives
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit...w/news/?a=7979
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2009, 03:18 PM   #58
Lightinspire
Lieutenant Commander

Re: a timely 2 part article on the making of STV

When Shatner first enters the bridge from the camping interruption, the girl that gives him his jacket and gives him the broken captain's log pad is Shatner's daughter Elizabeth. I wonder if she got paid for it or that was the case of cutting the money spending by not paying another actress..either way I'm glad to see her in it.
Old June 16 2009, 07:34 PM   #59
Lightinspire
Lieutenant Commander

What I meant by "a fan edition cut down" was Jack Marshall did one who used to work for New Voyages. I downloaded it before it was pulled.