Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 30 2009, 03:51 AM   #31
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: DVD Release Date?

As I stated in my original post that I'm hoping for something similar to what they did with Iron Man last year (I think it came out sometime in September) wouldn't mind waiting until near Christmas for a proper extras treatment.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2009, 05:41 AM   #32
Captain Fine
Fleet Captain

View Captain Fine's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Captain Fine Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Fine Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Fine

T'Bonz wrote: View Post
I read somewhere that they would shoot for a Christmas release for STXII.
Why would they want to do a Christmas release for XII when they did summer for XI? I would expect XII to make more money, so shouldn't they release it at a time when it can make more?
Captain Fine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2009, 12:08 AM   #33
MvRojo
Vice Admiral

According to The Digital Bits:

What's more, the Star Trek: The Next Generation - Original Motion Picture Collection (which will include Generations, First Contact, Insurrection and Nemesis) is planned for release sometime in November or December, timed to coincide with the DVD/Blu-ray release of J.J. Abrams' new Star Trek (still TBA). Some of the classic Trek films (released on Blu-ray last month as part of the box set) will be available as single-film BD releases at that time as well.
MvRojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2009, 12:45 AM   #34
Kpnuts
Commodore

It'll be the first Bluray I buy. I'll be getting a brand new Bluray player with it and a HD TV if I don't have one by then.

Nice pre-xmas treat. It'll look stunning in 1080p.
Kpnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2009, 01:11 AM   #35
24thcenstfan
Commander

The trend seems to be anywhere from 4 - 6 months after a movie initially opens at the Box Office. I suspect we will see an October release. MI:III opened in May at the theaters and was out by the end of October too (same studio).
Old June 5 2009, 02:43 AM   #36
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

J. Allen wrote: View Post
"upconverting" is a bit misleading, but it's been used for years now since the advent of HD television.
And EVERY HDTV UPCONVERTS. Every one that's ever been made. You don't need a fancy 'upconverting DVD player' to do it.

All HDTVs upconvert. If they didn't, playing a standard definition DVD would result in a tiny postage-stamp-sized image in the middle of the screen surrounded by a foot of black on all sides.

The dilemma is, will your HDTV's upconverter be better or worse than that of an upconverting DVD player? Most HDTVs, it's the former. A decent HDTV will have a better upconverter. If you have such a TV, that's all you need.

In fact, I bought the specific Blu-Ray player I did, because it can DISABLE its own upconverter (for standard def DVDs) - I know my TV will do a better job of it.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2009, 03:56 AM   #37
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

Sector 7 wrote: View Post
This movie has me wanting my first Blu-Ray player. Currently I have a DVD player which "upconverts to 1080p definition". Can some of our technically inclined members educate me on the difference? If I have an "upconvert" player, do I really need Blu-Ray?
Quick and Dirty:

Oh, and some examples:

http://www.zonadvd.com/modules.php?n...icle&artid=792
http://www.zonadvd.com/modules.php?n...icle&artid=761
http://www.zonadvd.com/modules.php?n...icle&artid=777

It's almost like removing a cataract from the TV screen.

J.
I may have to get that Blu-Ray for Christmas after all. Tomorrow morning they deliver my new Samsung DLP (yeah, 1080p) baby!

Thanks for all the help.
Old June 5 2009, 04:13 AM   #38
Tom
Rear Admiral

If they want to make money it will be before Black Friday and not after
Old June 5 2009, 04:15 AM   #39
thedude
Lieutenant Commander

VideoETA.com lists it as October 2009. They're always right.

http://videoeta.com/movie.html?via=form&id=82795
thedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2009, 04:15 AM   #40
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

The projected date I saw was November 17, 2009. This would make sense as it is just in time for holiday shopping.
Old June 5 2009, 06:23 AM   #41
MvRojo
Vice Admiral

FleetLord wrote: View Post
If they want to make money it will be before Black Friday and not after
For sure.
MvRojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2009, 01:56 PM   #42
TrekGuide.com
Fleet Captain

My parents have a new HDTV, and I leave all my good DVDs, such as "Lord of the Rings," "Iron Man," and "Star Trek: Nemesis" at their house to watch on the big screen when I'm there.

The DVDs look fine on the HDTV -- I don't notice any pixelation or other quality problems. The DVDs look just as good as any HD satellite broadcast channels on the TV.

Maybe my eyesight (and my parents') is not so good that I need a Blu-ray player. ...
TrekGuide.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2009, 02:03 PM   #43
Guartho
Rear Admiral

TrekGuide.com wrote: View Post
The DVDs look just as good as any HD satellite broadcast channels on the TV.
Cable and satellite are notorious for severely over-compressing their HD signals. Have you ever scene over-the-air HD or Blu-ray on the same set?

(AKA "Mr. Donkey Kong King" for no apparent reason)
Guartho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2009, 02:39 PM   #44
wekkuli
Lieutenant Junior Grade

TrekGuide.com wrote: View Post
The DVDs look fine on the HDTV -- I don't notice any pixelation or other quality problems.
It depends very much on the size of the screen - with 32" you won't notice much difference between DVD and Blu-ray. But with 42" and over, the difference will be very notable (go over 50" and it's like night and day).

Here is a comparison of video resolutions (the red is DVD, the blue is Blu-ray on Full HD screen.):
http://www.justintylermoore.com/uploads/hd-chart.png

So, you'll need quite a large screen to take full visual advantage of 1080p.

Last edited by wekkuli; June 5 2009 at 02:52 PM.
wekkuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2009, 02:44 PM   #45
USS KG5
Vice Admiral

Babaganoosh wrote: View Post
"upconverting" is a bit misleading, but it's been used for years now since the advent of HD television.
And EVERY HDTV UPCONVERTS. Every one that's ever been made. You don't need a fancy 'upconverting DVD player' to do it.

All HDTVs upconvert. If they didn't, playing a standard definition DVD would result in a tiny postage-stamp-sized image in the middle of the screen surrounded by a foot of black on all sides.

The dilemma is, will your HDTV's upconverter be better or worse than that of an upconverting DVD player? Most HDTVs, it's the former. A decent HDTV will have a better upconverter. If you have such a TV, that's all you need.

In fact, I bought the specific Blu-Ray player I did, because it can DISABLE its own upconverter (for standard def DVDs) - I know my TV will do a better job of it.
It is - however - very important if you are watching DVDs on an HDTV to output a progressive signal IMHO, that makes far more difference than upscaling.