Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old June 24 2009, 06:02 PM   #751
dmleo
Commodore

Re: Karl Urban -- blond or brunette?

Toruika wrote: View Post
dmleo wrote: View Post

Welcome to the board Toruika and good luck in Japan. Oh, I think you have to treat yourself and get that fabulous McCoy cardboard. Plus, think of all the fun you'll have trying to explain it to house guests.
Thank you, dmleo! I've been working towards this opportunity for several years, now. It hasn't quite all sunk in yet, though. And yeah, the more I think about it, the more I just -gotta-! He can be my personal guardian, even though--thankfully so, there won't be so many mukade to deal with as I first feared. I'm going to be up on the 3rd floor. Phew!

Crusher Disciple wrote: View Post
I dunno who is acutally using that account, but the stuff they come up with is funny as hell.
I know. And "he" was quick to return the follow. That gave me quite a chuckle.

Jeri wrote: View Post
It's lightweight and will be no tribble atall. Best of luck on your exciting and interesting adventure!

I asked M'Sharak to edit the topic post to read "brunet," and many thanks to our awesome moderator for that. (Regular posters can't edit after a certain amount of time.)
Yeah. It still may cost a pinch or two, but I'm thinking it'll be cheaper than sending over the sombrero.

Addendum: Showed Mom the stand-up McCoy. She asked if it was a blow-up doll. I said, no.... It's -cardboard-. She replied that it needs to be a blow-up. Then she started making hugging motions and noted it needs to be wired to hug back.

Well, at least we know the apple don't fall far from that treebranch, hm?
I'm actually grateful that McCoy isn't a blow up doll who hugs back, otherwise I would never leave my apartment.
dmleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2009, 06:07 PM   #752
Mrs_Whatsit
Commander

Addendum: Showed Mom the stand-up McCoy. She asked if it was a blow-up doll. I said, no.... It's -cardboard-. She replied that it needs to be a blow-up. Then she started making hugging motions and noted it needs to be wired to hug back.

Well, at least we know the apple don't fall far from that treebranch, hm?
I love your mom--my kind of lady! Who do we petition for a McCoy blow-up doll? It'd be a best-seller just from everyone here!

P.S. My sister-in-law and her family lived in Japan (Hiroshima) for three years when my brother-in-law was transferred there for a work project. They absolutely adored Japan, and miss it so much. You're in for an awesome adventure, I'm sure!

ETA: Hmm, you have a point, dmleo. If I don't leave the house, I don't earn a living, which means no more buying grown-up girl toys.
Mrs_Whatsit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2009, 06:35 PM   #753
Toruika
Lieutenant Commander

dmleo wrote: View Post

I'm actually grateful that McCoy isn't a blow up doll who hugs back, otherwise I would never leave my apartment.
Hmmmm.... Yeah, that could pose a problem or two. Methinks some ladies will be sending their SOs to the barber for a new 'do and buying some blue polos...

Mrs_Whatsit wrote: View Post

I love your mom--my kind of lady! Who do we petition for a McCoy blow-up doll? It'd be a best-seller just from everyone here!

P.S. My sister-in-law and her family lived in Japan (Hiroshima) for three years when my brother-in-law was transferred there for a work project. They absolutely adored Japan, and miss it so much. You're in for an awesome adventure, I'm sure!

ETA: Hmm, you have a point, dmleo. If I don't leave the house, I don't earn a living, which means no more buying grown-up girl toys.
Yes, Mom is the original trekker and geek-girl. She was as excited to see the new movie as I was, though she is tickled that I've seen it as much as I have. You know, there are folks who make moulds for sci-fi body armor, so it is possible.....

Ooh, awesome! Yes, my oldest brother was stationed in Yokosuka, in the early 90s, so my family is very excited for me. (They'll likely visit!) I'm just not looking forward to the veeeery long flight. Oof!
Toruika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2009, 03:41 AM   #754
mythicdove
Commander

Send a message via AIM to mythicdove
Re: Karl Urban -- blond or brunet?

Love the Karl pics Crusher Disciple, especially the second one.

How hot can a man get?

Welcome Toruika!

"Damn it Jim! I'm a doctor, not a Roman Emperor!"
mythicdove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2009, 05:42 AM   #755
zenfakor
Lieutenant

Dark hair blonde tips,yes.
zenfakor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2009, 05:45 AM   #756
trampledamage
Clone

zenfakor wrote: View Post
Dark hair blonde tips,yes.
That's a new one! Is that how he looked as Cupid in Xena?

And he says that like it's a bad thing...
trampledamage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2009, 06:00 AM   #757
Toruika
Lieutenant Commander

mythicdove wrote: View Post
Love the Karl pics Crusher Disciple, especially the second one.

How hot can a man get?

Welcome Toruika!
Thank you, mythicdove! So glad to be here!

Well, gang. I just got back from seeing it for the 4th time. I'm going to be in such withdrawal, awaiting DVD/bluray release. (As are we all, I'm sure..!)

I am hoping that with the success of this movie, we'll see a graphic novel or two come out for those three years during the academy, as well as Nero and rommie crew on the prison planet. One can only hope! More McCoy is always a good thing (unless it's MU McCoy! ...maybe).

And for some reason, your quote made me think of the opposite, which is very wrong, since it's Travolta. "I got chills, they're multiplyin'! And I'm losing control.. o/~"
Old June 25 2009, 06:11 AM   #758
Praetor
Vice Admiral

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
Praetor wrote: View Post

Can somebody teach me how to shrink this and turn it into an av? My GIF sensi is having net problems and I can't figure out how to do it.
Try this:

I just spotted Crusherbunny wearing this in the other thread.

Nice work.
Why, thanks.

(That 70kb limit is a bear. I can also teach you how to do it if you want.)
NCC-1701 may be the one to ask about how to get the file size down. He and orac have made some pretty awesome animated avs with surprisingly tiny filesize.
Yeah, from what NCC-1701 (who is the av master as far as I'm concerned) has taught me, minimizing the number of pixels that change from frame to frame is the key. He's a master of subtlety when it comes to his avatars.

I really need to pick up the whole Rihannsu compendium. Or whatever it's called.

ETA: Gifties!!!!!

That second one is studly... but in that first one he looks a little uncomfortable. Like someone has spinach in their teeth and it annoys him but he can't decide whether he should tell them.

"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2009, 07:20 AM   #759
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

NCC-1701 may be the one to ask about how to get the file size down. He and orac have made some pretty awesome animated avs with surprisingly tiny filesize.
Yeah, from what NCC-1701 (who is the av master as far as I'm concerned) has taught me, minimizing the number of pixels that change from frame to frame is the key. He's a master of subtlety when it comes to his avatars.
I suspect that there will be limits to what can be achieved using that method with that particular image, though. There's a heck of a lot of movement to contend with.
The motto of the Corbettite Order seems to be Ite Animose... a Latin phrase that can be translated as "go courageously." Alternatively, it can be rendered as "boldly go," which bears a striking resemblance to a phrase heard during the opening credits of a certain popular television series.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2009, 02:45 PM   #760
Crusher Disciple
Admiral

View Crusher Disciple's Twitter Profile

That second one is studly... but in that first one he looks a little uncomfortable. Like someone has spinach in their teeth and it annoys him but he can't decide whether he should tell them.

I dunno- I kind of like it. If he was playing Caesar at the time, I'd say he was about to launch a snide comment at Pompey.
Old June 25 2009, 03:18 PM   #761
Jeri
Vice Admiral

Pretty eyes.

Well, gang. I just got back from seeing it for the 4th time. I'm going to be in such withdrawal, awaiting DVD/bluray release. (As are we all, I'm sure..!)

I am hoping that with the success of this movie, we'll see a graphic novel or two come out for those three years during the academy, as well as Nero and rommie crew on the prison planet. One can only hope! More McCoy is always a good thing (unless it's MU McCoy! ...maybe)...
Have you seen this thread: New Comic Book Star Trek: Nero. I never was a comic book fan, but I liked "Countdown," so I may pick up the new one. An academy comic would be good! And I'm looking forward to seeing the movie for the 20th time this Saturday.
Old June 25 2009, 03:32 PM   #762
24thcenstfan
Commander

I really need to pick up the whole Rihannsu compendium. Or whatever it's called.

ETA: Gifties!!!!!

[IMG]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-10/449195/048.png.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-10/449195/050.png.jpg[/IMG
...and lovely gifts they are. Thanks!
Old June 25 2009, 04:04 PM   #763
Toruika
Lieutenant Commander

Jeri wrote: View Post
Have you seen this thread: New Comic Book Star Trek: Nero. I never was a comic book fan, but I liked "Countdown," so I may pick up the new one. An academy comic would be good! And I'm looking forward to seeing the movie for the 20th time this Saturday.
Oooh, no I haven't! So going to have to pick that up! And yes. ACADEMY!!! I want to see Kirk and McCoy's friendship build. And you know, Bones was always a prankster, and I can definitely see these two BARELY getting away with tons of pranks. It's almost too bad that they don't know Spock until the trial, in the movie, because I really can see him taking the brunt of some of them, too. Oh well. Maybe in fanJJverse.

20th time. I doubt I can get away with seeing it again, unless it hits the dollar show before I leave for Japan. *pout* Well, I just checked, it still has one movie time at the local show.
Old June 25 2009, 07:57 PM   #764
trampledamage
Clone

Just looking through photos from the Sydney premiere (and I'm amazed, whoever the Australian Daily Telegraph had taking the photos has managed to capture everyone from the worst possible angle!)

Luckily, someone else was doing the photo shoot from the hotel the day before:

And he says that like it's a bad thing...
trampledamage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2009, 09:58 PM   #765
dmleo
Commodore

trampledamage wrote: View Post
Just looking through photos from the Sydney premiere (and I'm amazed, whoever the Australian Daily Telegraph had taking the photos has managed to capture everyone from the worst possible angle!)

Luckily, someone else was doing the photo shoot from the hotel the day before:

Very nice!!
dmleo is offline   Reply With Quote