The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 27 2009, 05:18 PM   #91
Dream
Admiral

Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer Remake... Without Joss

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Does anyone know how much of the intellectual property Kuzui owns? It it just the name and aspects directly related to it? Or does she have proprietary rights to the various elements of the entire mythos?
I've heard that Kuzui never did anything on the Buffy series but they still had to credit Kuzui as producer on every episode.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2009, 06:08 PM   #92
Mallet
Fleet Captain

Dream wrote: View Post
CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Does anyone know how much of the intellectual property Kuzui owns? It it just the name and aspects directly related to it? Or does she have proprietary rights to the various elements of the entire mythos?
I've heard that Kuzui never did anything on the Buffy series but they still had to credit Kuzui as producer on every episode.
Yah, if you help get the series or movie made, whether through contacts or money, then you are a producer on the show/series. You helped "produce" it. And if they were the ones who originally bought and got the movie & series made then they do deserve the producer credit.
Old May 27 2009, 08:26 PM   #93
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

As far as I know, the credit situation with regards to the Kuzuis is the same as the situation on nuBSG with regards to Glenn Larsen; since he was the creator and executive producer of the original BSG, he was given a credit on the re-imagined BSG even though he had absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with it.
Old May 27 2009, 08:38 PM   #94
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

The fuck?

They can't be serious. I have the original movie on DVD only because I love the show, otherwise I couldn't sit through it. But another one? nope, not when I have "The Origin" and Season 8.
Old May 27 2009, 09:01 PM   #95
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
As far as I know, the credit situation with regards to the Kuzuis is the same as the situation on nuBSG with regards to Glenn Larsen; since he was the creator and executive producer of the original BSG, he was given a credit on the re-imagined BSG even though he had absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with it.
I seem to recall that Joss comments on this very subject (though without mentioning names) in the commentary for "Welcome to the Hellmouth." Essentially, the whole reason the Kuzuis got credit on the show was because their agent negotiated them into it.

I could be wrong... its been a while since I listened to that commentary.
Old May 28 2009, 12:37 AM   #96
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

^ I should go see if I can't find out for sure. JOOC, though, does anybody know exactly who was responsible for mucking up Joss' script for the film? I know he's said that it wasn't the director (Fran Rubel Kuzui), but I've never known whether or not to take that at face value.
Old May 28 2009, 12:42 AM   #97
Daneel
Rear Admiral

^^^^^
If not the director, someone from the studio maybe? Or someone employed by the studio? I also think Fran Rubel Kuzui must have had some say in script changes -- Joss saying that she didn't may have just been a way of being diplomatic, since she apparently still has a considerable stake (no pun intended) in the franchise.

I know Joss has gone on record as stating that Donald Sutherland changed a lot of his lines. Joss didn't care much for that, and he's spoken of his contempt for Sutherland on more than one occasion.
Daneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2009, 01:40 AM   #98
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

^ You might be right about Joss trying to be diplomatic, but he hasn't usually shied away from stating his opinion on things, even at the risk of sounding undiplomatic; case in point being what he and Tim say about the old FOX regime in their 'The Train Job' commentary and on the Firefly behind-the-scenes documentary 'Here's How It Was'.

TwoP and Io9 have offered some pretty interesting 'counterpoint' opinions with regards to the reboot and whether or not it is a good idea, so I now think I'm going to take a very cautious 'wait and see' approach with the whole thing. It would be good to know for sure, though, whether or not Fran Kuzui was responsible in any way for the changes that were made to Joss' original Buffy film script, if only as a measuring stick of just how much of a 'whole big sucking thing' (hee) this reboot project could potentially become if it isn't handled correctly.

Edited to add that I'm still listening to the WttH commentary, but that Joss hasn't yet said anything with regards to the Kuzuis and their involvement - or non-involvement - with the TV series.
Old May 28 2009, 02:08 AM   #99
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I was shocked when I read this story this morning...I'm curious to hear what Joss has to say about this idea as well. I doubt that this would go anywhere...I wonder if this is similar to the Stargate thing...I thought that I read somewhere that Devin and Emmerlich could revisit a second Stargate movie and have it diverge from the TV franchise because they weren't involved in that. It could be interesting if it's not a complete reboot...just this generation's slayer. Personally I'm holding out for a movie adaption of "Fray" starring Natalie Portman (since that is who Melaka was originally modeled after).

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2009, 02:13 AM   #100
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

I was wrong / misremembered.

But I found it.

The explanation is on the commentary for "Not Fade Away."

Fran Rubel Kuzui and her husband, Kaz Kuzui, were also credited as executive producers throughout Angel,[18] but were not involved in any writing or production for the show. Jeffrey Bell mentions in his DVD commentary during the closing credits of the Angel series finale "Not Fade Away" that two people were credited and paid for Angel without needing to ever step on the set.[19] Angel crew member Dan Kerns also revealed in an essay, that two executive producers "received credit and sizeable checks for the duration of Buffy and Angel for doing absolutely nothing".[20] Their credit, rights and royalties for the whole Buffy franchise, which includes spin-off Angel, relate to their funding, producing and directing of the original movie version of Buffy.[21]
Source: http://www.answers.com/topic/angel-tv-series
Old May 28 2009, 12:31 PM   #101
darkwing_duck1
Vice Admiral

Argus Skyhawk wrote: View Post

However, Whedon's nonchalant response may indicate that even he realizes that, hey, it's just a show.
Even if he felt otherwise, as others have said, he has to be very cautious about what he says. His star is not ascendent in Hollywood at the moment. His recent track record with the industry features as it's highlights (starting with the most recent): producing a TV show that got canned after one season (Dollhouse), having a film project pulled out of his hands by the studio (Wonder Woman), and producing one big screen movie that went essentially nowhere at the box office (Serenity).

Prior to that, he had one arguable success (Buffy series), diminished because it was shown on a "fringe" venue, not one of the "big four", one mediocre outing that was cancelled before it's natural end point (Angel), and another "one season wonder" (Firefly).

His only positive credentials at this time are three moderately successful comic book runs, and that's not going to be enough for a big studio to want to back him.

Simply put, he cannot afford to make enemies by bad-mouthing others.

Now before everyone starts jumping down my throat to defend one project or another, understand I am not passing judgement on Joss from a "fan" perspective, but from the perspective of a movie/tv studio exec. From that PoV, Joss' track record is far from being a "big success".
darkwing_duck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2009, 01:08 PM   #102
Korob
The Revd's Oldman

View Korob's Twitter Profile

I just read io9's article on it, and I see what they're saying, but shouldn't it be Joss's choice to allow someone else to take the reigns, since he's the creator of it. I understand the argument because I made a similar argument about Red Dwarf, Doug Naylor needs new writing blood to help it stay fresh, but it should be his choice to make, not forced on him by someone else.
Old May 28 2009, 01:18 PM   #103
Jar Jar Binks
Admiral

Joss doesn't own the rights, so (as far as I know) he doesn't really have any control over what happens to the franchise.
Jar Jar Binks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2009, 01:28 PM   #104
Korob
The Revd's Oldman

View Korob's Twitter Profile

Skywalker wrote: View Post
Joss doesn't own the rights, so (as far as I know) he doesn't really have any control over what happens to the franchise.
I know, and I think that is a problem with the way copyright currently works. And why I can't by the arguement about creators rights when big companies role it out as a reason to extend copyright.
Old May 28 2009, 01:30 PM   #105
Ethros
Vice Admiral

darkwing_duck1 wrote: View Post
His recent track record with the industry features as it's highlights (starting with the most recent): producing a TV show that got canned after one season (Dollhouse)
I can't comment on how good or bad it is having not seen a single minute of it yet, but I do believe Dollhouse has been renewed for a second season. So get it right
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote