IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Fiction

Fan Fiction Other forums talk about Trek. We make it.

Old May 27 2009, 05:23 AM   #1
Sovereign_One
Lieutenant Commander

Tales of the Storyteller: Pennsylvania - "Into The Inferno"

I was supposed to be working in an Adirondack story, but it's hit a rock and needs a major re-think. "Into The Inferno" ambushed me and wouldn't let me work on anything else until it was finished. Those who have read the Adirondack stories already know what ultimately happens, but I think it's worth reading.

"Into The Inferno" occurs about fifteen years earlier.

----------

Chapter 1: Of Roses And Ensigns

Origin: Earth. Family: Rosaceae. Genus:
Rosa. Cultivar: Peace. Common names: Peace, Beke, Fredrosen, Giolia, Gloria Dei, Mme A Meillard, Mme Antoine Meillard. Class: Hybrid Tea. Introduced in the year 1945 CE on the same day Earth's Second World War in the European theater ended, 29 April.

The irony. Beauty coming forth in the midst of war.

The large pink-edged yellow blooms hung in pairs on their long stems. Surrounded by sixty-six other rose varieties in the enclosed arboretum, they added their scent to the perfume wafting about the red-cobbled walkways. A perfume strong enough to stimulate even a Vulcan's olfactory receptors.

Captain Sutek took a few seconds more to contemplate the roses, then moved off down the walkway. He passed several other Starfleet personnel, spending their time on shore leave or as rest between assignments. His purpose here was not for leisure, however.

The Pennsylvania herself was between assignments, allowing Sutek to contact Captain Barbara Spillane of the Minerva to request a personal meeting. He laid out his reasons for the meeting, which Spillane, at first, was adverse to. She gave the matter more thought, then suggested they meet at Starbase 56 on Arka Tanos. The Minerva had nearly arrived there when he had contacted her. He agreed.

Discussion of crew complements had the elements for contention; once Personnel spoke, of course, such conflicts were essentially moot. But that didn't stop them from occurring, and Sutek was certain he was walking into one.

He exited the garden proper and followed the red pavers to a large two-tiered terrace. From the upper terrace, a blond-haired woman seated near the outer railing met his glance. She did not move for a moment, then looked away. Sutek climbed a nearby staircase, reviewing the information he had gathered before arriving at Arka Tanos.

Full name: Barbara Gayle Spillane, formerly Barbara Spillane-Thompson. Divorced with one child, a son, currently in his second year at Starfleet Academy. Birthplace: Gasperson, Indiana, Earth. Parents: Henry and Jean née Olivette. One sister, two brothers. 27 years in Starfleet. Previous commands: Palatine and Aspen.

Most of the upper terrace was empty, only a few tables occupied. The woman he had sighted sat away from the others, alone. She raised a hand and waved him over.

Sutek approached and stopped behind an empty chair across from Captain Spillane. A silver-colored cup rested on the table in front of her, a gentle column of steam rising from it. She picked up a long, dark green, reed-like object, a flavor quill, and stirred the liquid in the cup with it. The quills were produced on Arka from the leaves of an aromatic plant, imbued with other essential oils, rolled, dried and cut into sections eighteen centimeters long. Spillane laid the quill aside and turned her attention to Sutek. Her face held little expression, yet her blue eyes could not hide the fact that she was studying him, sizing him up.

He expected nothing less.

The Captain raised her right hand, splitting the fingers into the Vulcan salute.

"Dif-tor heh smusma."

Sutek returned the salute. "Dif-tor heh smusma."

She put her hand down and favored him with a slight smile. "Dom - lasha osavensu."

So, the teacher is here. She had used the honorific form of "teacher".

He clasped both hands behind his back and bowed. "You honor me, Captain," he said in Federation Standard. He didn't know how far Spillane's knowledge of Vulcan went, but he did not want her setting the ground rules.

"I thought you'd get a kick out of that. Have a seat."

Intrepid Trek - back online!

Last edited by Sovereign_One; May 27 2009 at 02:00 PM.
Sovereign_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2009, 05:25 AM   #2
Sovereign_One
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Tales of the Storyteller: Pennsylvania - "Into The Inferno"

While Sutek sat down, Spillane stuck the quill back in the cup and stirred. She took a sip and grimaced slightly.

"I've never been to a Starbase that didn't have wretched coffee. It could use a good belt of bourbon, but I'm driving."

Chuckling softly at her joke, she looked from her cup to Sutek. Calculating, measuring, seeking an opening. Sutek returned her gaze with utter calm, betraying nothing. Spillane put her cup down and tapped the quill on the rim, shaking off the last drops of brown liquid. Resting her arm atop the chair back, she held the quill between two fingers and raised it to near eye level. The posture portrayed someone totally relaxed, without a care in the Universe.

"So," she said, "why are we here?"

"To discuss the matter I brought to your attention on Stardate 33723.9."

"Refresh my memory."

"About Ensign Satterwhite."

"The kid you want for helm relief?"

"Affirmative."

"You could have waited until both the Minerva and the Pennsylvania arrived at Helios Station three weeks from now. Early bird catches the worm?"

"I believe the phrase carpe diem is more apropos."

The Captain snorted and sipped her coffee. "I pulled all her records last night. Smart, hard-working, scary good pilot, so adaptive she practically blends into the bulkheads. Captains get into knife fights to keep someone like that on their ships. Why should I even agree to you taking her?"

"Begging the Captain's pardon," Sutek said, "but your agreeing to my decision is not relevant to this conversation."

"Because you'll take her anyway. I gotcha. I don't have the pull at Command you do, but I can still raise a heck of a stink and make your life difficult."

"I do not doubt your intention to do so. I had wished to avoid such a confrontation."

"How? By giving up something of equal value, maybe?" Spillane gave a hearty laugh. "Begging the Captain's pardon, but you don't have anything I want."

"By asking your blessing."

Spillane frowned, taken aback. She took another sip of coffee and swallowed hard.

"Blessing?" she countered, waving around the flavor quill. "You don't need my blessing. All you have to do is get Admiral Kushogi at Personnel on the comm-pick and bother him. And he might throw in a couple of CPOs on the side just for you. Besides, you just said my agreeing with all this wasn't relevant."

"Correct. However, it is possible for you to give your blessing although you may not completely agree with my actions, if I explain my reasonings in a convincing enough manner to override enough of your objections."

"You're splitting hairs, Sutek."

"Perhaps."

Rolling the quill between her fingers, Spillane narrowed her eyes at him. "All right. I'll listen. And if you don't convince me, you'll have given me plenty of ammo to file with my objections. Shoot."

Sutek was more than content at having outmaneuvered the Captain in this instance, but his next moves here would be of paramount importance. He had to convince her that she was a partner in this venture, not a victim having it inflicted upon her.

"Good pilots are a highly sought after commodity," he began. "Excellent pilots doubly so."

"And?"

"The Pennsylvania is in need of an excellent pilot."

"Your ship goes through pilots like a Horta goes through rock. Consume, consume, consume."

Sutek nodded. "She has become the bane of many flight controllers, yes. An average pilot has no business at her helm. Ensign Satterwhite, however, is far from average."

"Agreed. Which is why I don't want you to take her."

"I completely understand your resistance. It is the rare pilot who can successfully deal with the Pennsylvania's idiosyncrasies."

"Why doesn't Command just scrap her, since she so much trouble?"

"That would be unwise. The Excelsiors are no longer being produced. It would take several years to replace her with a ship of a comparable class."

Mischief sparkled in Spillane's eyes. "And you don't want another ship. You don't want to get rid of her because she's just like you. Unyielding, difficult, stubborn, and always intent to have your way. I've been reading up on you, too."

He was quite certain she had. She may have had a reputation as a verbal brawler, but she didn't go into a fight without a plan or without doing the necessary reconnaissance. The words were meant to sting and sink in.

"I am aware of how I am perceived," Sutek said. "I cannot be other than what I am."

"Right." The sparkle died away, and Spillane became all business. "You said you wanted her for relief."

"In the beginning. Eventually, I wish for her to take the senior helm position."

"Sounds like you want to put her on the command track. Getting ahead of ourselves, aren't we?"

"How so?"

"You think she's cut out for command? That's being extremely optimistic."

"Anything is possible, but I do believe the potential exists."

The Captain shook her head, more in a pitying gesture than one of disagreement.

"Sutek," she said, "Starfleet is running over with potential. Only a small percentage ever reach command-level positions. You and I are the rare commodity, my friend."

"Indeed. You do not see the potential in the Ensign?"

"That's not what I'm saying. There is something there. It's buried, but...it's there. I wish I knew how to reach it."

"I, too, have sensed something under the surface. Once, I took that exterior for her true self. That judgment may have been in error."

Spillane's eyes widened in shock, the mischief appearing again. "You?! Made a mistake? Oh, this I have to hear."

Despite Spillane's attempt to embarrass him, Sutek continued in an even, matter-of-fact tone.

"I first observed Ensign Satterwhite as a cadet at the Academy while I was observing other cadets in her class. She came across as somewhat aloof, with an undercurrent of insecurity and anger. If she retained that attitude and outlook, I could foresee her future prospects as being limited."

"So you ignored her."

"On the contrary. Upon further examination and continued observation, I came to the same conclusions as you have."

Her ploy had fallen flat. "Okay, okay, so we're in agreement that 'something is there'. The question is, how does one reach it?"

"By discovering the truth."

"What truth?"

"Her truth."

"You lost me."

"The truth that cuts through all falsehood, whether imposed from without or within. The truth that resonates with one's mind and spirit. The truth that illuminates the past, reconciles you with the present, and points the way forward. It outlines the mission objectives, plots and lays in the course, leaving nothing but to go forth and simply be."

"Sounds like someplace you've been."

Sutek noted the expression of careful study forming on the Captain's face. He could afford having the conversation turn from the Ensign to himself for a moment.

"I am a Starfleet officer," he said. "The son of Starfleet officers. My father, a highly accomplished scientist. My mother, a Vice Admiral. They shaped me, gave me their knowledge, guided me toward the path I now follow."

"Somehow, I can see you having a bit of a time following in your parents' footsteps in the beginning. Trying to find your place, choosing which way to go, wondering how you would measure up to them. Especially to your mother, I think. I wouldn't know how I could follow a Vice Admiral. What turned you around, if I might ask?"

"The realization that I am not my mother."

Spillane's brow furrowed. "That simple?"

"Granted, it is a simple truth. One with great implications. We are all born with unique gifts which may express themselves in unpredictable ways. Sometimes, however, it is the traits shared between parent and child that cause the most conflict. I came to the knowledge that I did indeed share some traits in common with my mother. But it was not necessary for me to walk the path she did in exactly the same manner to achieve my goals."

"But your career follows nearly the same path, anyway."

Sutek nodded. "I was freed to walk my path wherever I wished and not be concerned with how or if the paths meet. That they did so in the places they have is due to the logical and rational considerations we both applied to similar events."

"So it wasn't luck that you just happened to mirror some of the Vice Admiral's steps."

He raised an eyebrow. "I believe I said that."

The Captain set to stirring her coffee, indicating she was ready to return to the subject at hand.

"Even though the Ensign does not have the particular difficulties you did," she said, "you want to help her find her 'simple truth'? Then the ugly duckling will transform into a beautiful swan." She glanced over the terrace railing. "Speaking of the swan...I figured she'd find the roses."

Spillane pointed down to the arboretum's floor. Stopping in front of an example of Rosa 'Cathedral', Ensign Satterwhite touched an apricot-colored blossom. Three years out of the Academy, the young woman had put in considerable time at the helm of the Ambassador-class Minerva. The starship's previous commander, Captain Terrance Harper, remarked upon her piloting skills in an evaluation report, also noting that, with the proper stimulus--he used the word "pressure"--she had the potential to become "a damn fine officer one day."

Sutek looked back at Spillane, who wore a self-satisfied smile. Its meaning could not be more plain. She's mine, and don't you forget it.

For now.

Sutek glanced down at the Ensign again for a moment, then focused back on Spillane.

"Is there some significance to this flower?"

"For her, yes," Spillane said. "The counselor told me about it. Some form of the rose is a symbol of her family."

"Is her family of some standing?"

"No, it isn't, from what I could tell. Why do you ask?"

"Such symbols tend to be appropriated by families of stature in many cultures."

"Does that mean something to you?"

"It is simply more information to add to my body of knowledge. The attachment to such a symbol suggests family is very important to her."

The Captain raised an eyebrow. "As it is to you."

Sutek countered with both of his. "Your point being?"

"We keep sitting here talking, and we'll find more ways she's like you."

His brows drew together. "I am Vulcan, and she is Human. I do not see more than very superficial similarities between us."

"Uh-huh. Speaking of Vulcans and Humans, what makes you think you're one to help her 'find her truth'?"

"My record of training and developing officers speaks for itself."

"Five protégés who have gone on to be starship commanders in their own right. That's some track record. You're seen as a bellwether for measuring the quality of Starfleet's up-and-comers, and you've got a knack for picking winners. They call you 'the Vampire of the Presidio' because you lurk about the Academy grounds, selecting whom you're going to snatch up as soon as they get the first pip on their collars."

"Vulcans do not lurk."

Spillane leaned forward. "And I don't think you're up to this job."

Sutek raised his chin marginally. "I beg your pardon?"

She pointed down to Ensign Satterwhite, then back at Sutek. "Human...Vulcan. And rarely the twain do meet."

"I counter your assertion with the fact that three of my protégés were Human."

"But you have to admit those three already had their lives together and knew exactly what they wanted."

"This is true."

"Well, our little swan doesn't. Not yet. Plus, you have all the added emotional baggage to deal with."

"I recognize that."

"No, no, no, no." She punctuated her words with flicks of her flavor quill. "I don't think you understand what I'm saying. This dealing with her anger. Its root cause is what happened in her childhood. The death of her younger sister. She lost the sense that she's in control of anything. As much control as you can have as a kid with your parents and teachers and whatnot directing every part of your life. She tried to find some kind of control, some kind of security, so she held on tight to her twin. If she could at least be there to stop bad things from happening to her, the world was right again. Then it left again when they entered the Academy. And if the Academy isn't a place where you don't have any control over anything, I don't know what is. That need for control somehow got buried. She probably gave up on it, seeing as how it was impossible now. But it came back as something else.

"If she couldn't get control, she avoided situations where she might get too attached to people, because the chance is always there that she won't be able to stop the bad stuff. That's where the anger comes in. To keep people at arm's length. Yeah, she does have friends, but she's not especially close to them. You haven't seen the real Sydney Shelby Satterwhite. That surly creature you see is a mask. I think she's worn it so long she believes that's what she really is."

A needle of annoyance worked itself into Sutek's calm, but he quickly banished it. These issues were known to him, he had studied them well. If he thought he was incapable of dealing with them, he would not have considered pursuing the reassignment. Where and when he needed assistance, members of his crew trained to deal with these issues could be called upon. He could seek advice from his mother, for she possessed longer experience with Humans.

"We both know that is not her true self," he said.

"Yes, we do. And, to be honest, despite your well-known keenness of judgment, I don't think you're equipped to handle this. It's too easy to damage her with one cold observation. One application of logic devoid of the 'contamination' of emotion."

"I was not aware you thought of her as delicate."

Spillane drank from her cup. Her gaze went distant, further mulling over Sutek's statement, and, perhaps, over what lay at the root of her objections.

"Delicate? No, not that," she said, looking back to him. "She's a tough kid to have made it this far."

Sutek cocked his head slightly to one side. "Then I fail to see where your concern lies."

"It lies in the fact that Humans often don't behave or think in a logical manner."

"I am well aware."

"You might be aware of that in your head, but in your, um...ah..."

"Heart?"

She scoffed. "I'm judging you by Human standards, so sue me."

"I understand the concept, Captain. The adjectives 'cold' and 'hard' are often applied to the Vulcan heart. Yet there are times where Humans will bristle when the terms are applied to their own. When the evidence clearly manifests itself."

"The pot calls the kettle black. Guilty as charged."

Sutek could sense the atmosphere at the table changing. Captain Spillane's posture no longer feigned ease, but took on increasing points of tension. The flavor quill had shifted into a closed hand. Her tightening fingers were on the verge of snapping the quill in two. Each taste of coffee grew more disagreeable.

He was not above taking advantage at this point.

"You are of the belief," he said, "that the only response to the Ensign's difficulties is a purely emotion-based one. I beg to differ. Truth can be arrived at only with the proper application of reason and logic."

Spillane pinched the quill between thumb and forefinger, releasing the scent of orange and mint into the air.

"What you're talking about," she said, "is orchestrating an epiphany, a moment of clarity, to cause a paradigm shift. Such moments can often be tinged with emotion."

"I am adverse to your non-scientific use of the term 'paradigm shift'. But if you mean a change in one's way of viewing reality, then yes, I am."

"You're ignoring what I said about Humans and logic."

"I am doing nothing of the sort. Has your exclusively emotion-based approach yielded any fruit, Captain?"

She glared at him. "No."

"Then please allow me the opportunity to assist her in finding the truth."

Spillane brought the quill to her mouth and gnawed on the end. Sutek remained silent while she pondered all that came before. Sometimes she would direct a thought-filled gaze in his direction. The corner of her mouth quivered, and the quill was returned to its place in the cup. She raised her hands.

"I yield," she said softly. "I won't fight you on this. Success is hard to ignore, as much as I want to. If she turns out to be a fine officer, who am I to argue with how it was done? Yes, Sutek. You have my blessing."

He bowed his head. "Thank you, Captain."

"But," she continued, pointing at him. "I think that, in Satterwhite's case, a...different application of logic might warranted here. I'll leave that for you to figure out. You're the master tactician, after all."

Sutek stood up. There would be no celebrating at winning this battle. That would come when and if the young Ensign resolved her issues, recognized what lay within, and allowed it to guide her along the path of her choosing.

He looked down at Ensign Satterwhite still exploring the rose garden.

"Please put your fears to rest, Captain Spillane," he said, turning back to her. "She is, as you say, a 'tough kid'."

Last edited by Sovereign_One; May 27 2009 at 06:12 AM.
Old May 27 2009, 02:35 PM   #3
Sovereign_One
Lieutenant Commander

Chapter 2: The Order

Request for assignment submitted by Captain Sutek of Ensign Sydney Satterwhite (currently of U.S.S. Minerva) to U.S.S. Pennsylvania under Captain Sutek.

Approved,
Admiral Masajiro Kushogi
Starfleet Command Personnel Office
Stardate 33763.9

----------------

SCPO#886544782312
Stardate 33810.7

To: Captain Barbara Spillane, CO, USS Minerva
Re: Crew Reassignment

Upon receipt:

Ensign Sydney S. Satterwhite (Serial No. SS-226-871), currently of USS Minerva (NCC-26310), assigned to USS Pennsylvania (NCC-38430) under Captain Sutek. Satterwhite to report for duty within 15 standard days.

Signed,
Admiral Masajiro Kushogi
Starfleet Command Personnel Office

Countersigned,
Admiral Michael Cantwell
Starfleet Command

----------------

Re: SCPO#886544782312

Orders received and acknowledged.

Spillane, Captain
CO, Minerva 26310
Stardate 33825.1

----------------

Excerpt From Personal Communication: Barbara Spillane
To: Sutek
Stardate 33832.1, 2123 hours

...I don't suppose she'll be happy about this. She's right on the edge, and I hope this won't be her breaking point...

---------------

Excerpt From Personal Communication: Sutek
To: Barbara Spillane
Stardate 33834.2, 0143 hours

...individuals of Ensign Satterwhite's psychological profile bend under extraordinary circumstances but rarely break. Adjustment to life on the Pennsylvania can be difficult for some. However, I have no doubt she will put forth the effort required...

---------------

Excerpt From Personal Communication: Barbara Spillane
To: Sutek
Stardate 33836.3, 2034 hours

...for her sake, you better be right. You're getting a top-notch pilot. On my recommendation and Captain Harper's. You mess up this kid, I'll come looking for you...

---------------

Excerpt From Personal Communication: Sutek
To: Barbara Spillane
Stardate 33838.2, 0345 hours

...admonition noted...

"NOOOOOOOOOO!!!"

Barely seated in a chair in her shared quarters, Ensign Sydney Satterwhite was on the very edge of hyperventilating. A PADD lay discarded on the floor, brightly displaying the cause of her distress. New assignment orders.

"...can't go...can't go...can't..."

Ione Gerhy, her roommate, held Sydney's hand and rubbed the back of her shoulder. "Breathe, honey, breathe."

"...can't go...not there..."

Passersby in the corridor beyond the main living area's open door stopped to check on the commotion. Ione waved them away, but the news had begun to spread. Soon, a small group gathered in the corridor and just inside with the two Ensigns. The air took on the pall of a wake.

"It's gonna be all right," Ione said, gripping Sydney's hand.

She vigorously shook her head. "No...not good...not all right...not him..."

Even though Sydney didn't speak the name, the simple "not him" caused a ripple of dread to flow through the crowd. After a few forced breaths, Sydney seemed to crumple under the weight of her coming fate. She then looked at Ione.

"What am I going to do?"

Ione's silence matched the mood inside the room.

Someone in the crowd stirred. "The Captain! Go to the Captain!" Others nodded and murmured their agreement.

"You got to go, Syd," Ione said, shaking her friend's shoulder. "This could be your only chance."

A small light of hope began to flicker in Sydney's eyes. "You think there's a chance?"

Ione picked up the PADD and pressed it into Sydney's hand. "Go, Syd. And grovel. Grovel like you've never groveled before."

Old May 27 2009, 08:22 PM   #4
Sovereign_One
Lieutenant Commander

Chapter 3: The Days Are Numbered

In her ready room, Captain Spillane looked up at the door signal's warble. "Come."

The doors opened to the unsteady figure of Ensign Satterwhite.

Great. Spillane had to calm down the youngster fast. She tried being casual. "What can I do for you, Ensign?"

The Ensign entered, but when she stopped before Spillane's desk, her mouth dropped open, voiceless. She held up a PADD and pointed to it.

Spillane sighed and gave her a sympathetic look.

"Yes, I know."

"Ma'am," Satterwhite said. The word came out a squeak. "This has to be a mistake."

"No mistake. Everything's on the up and up."

"Not that ship. Not that man."

Spillane scowled. "That man is Captain Sutek to you, Ensign."

"Sorry, ma'am." The Ensign bit her lip and bowed her head.

"I know all the stories," Spillane continued, a bit softer. "All the nicknames."

"People don't get nicknames like 'The Nightwalker' and 'He Who Must Not Be Named' and 'The Executioner' for no reason."

"Oh, I didn't know about those. My favorite one is 'He Who Never Sleeps'. Isn't that silly?"

The Ensign didn't seem entertained. "I'll stop thinking it's silly once I have evidence, ma'am."

A smile crept across Spillane's face. "You're going to ask him if he sleeps?"

"No, ma'am! I don't want to be in the same room with him."

"But you will be."

"Sitting right behind me ready to pounce when the ship drifts off course a millimeter," Satterwhite said behind clenched teeth.

Spillane rolled her eyes. "Ensign..."

"And his expression never changes. Just blank. Except for a raised eyebrow, and when he does that, look out! He's about to hit you upside the head with a laundry list of everything you did wrong since you set the first foot on the floor in the morning. And those eyes! He doesn't look at you as much as look through you. Plus he's at least a head taller than everybody, so he's permanently looking down on you."

"You sure do know a lot about someone you've never met."

"I know all the stories, too, ma'am," Satterwhite said, leaning in as if sharing in a conspiracy.

"I bet you do."

There was no calming down the Ensign at this point. So Spillane tried another tack.

"Do you have a problem with Vulcans?"

Satterwhite's eyes widened at the implication. "No, ma'am! One of my closer classmates at the Academy was Vulcan. Silan. Nice guy. Kind of bland, but nice. Stepped between me and some knucklehead with his nose bent out of shape over me out-flying him in a simulator test. Silan adjusted his attitude to the tune of a dislocated jaw and a couple of cracked ribs. Silan was my hero then. I could relate to him."

"And not to Captain Sutek?"

"Silan was never a threat to me. Except maybe when it came to how we were ranked academically. No matter what I did, he was always ahead."

"So how would the Captain be a threat to you?"

"He'll hold my career in his hands, ma'am."

"And I don't?"

That stopped the young Ensign cold. "Well...uh...that's..."

"Different? I don't see how. I could have doomed you to being Lieutenant Ingersol's third-ranked understudy for your entire stay here. If I had, you probably wouldn't have gotten as much experience at helm as you did."

"I know all that, ma'am, But--"

"But, but, but. Objections noted, Ensign."

This wasn't going well at all. Maybe it was better to let the Ensign spill out most of her anxieties now.

"All right," Spillane began again, "the Captain is not exactly cute and cuddly like me."

The Ensign stifled a laugh. "That goes without saying, ma'am."

"Yes, well..."

"It's hard to relate to him."

"You'll find a way. You found a way to relate to me."

"Yes, ma'am, but you...you're..."

"Human?"

"Begging your pardon, ma'am, but you're..."

"Say it."

"...you're..."

"Speak freely."

"...you're...weird...ma'am. I can deal with weird. I'm weird. I sing to the ship. I sniff around people's quarters for good food and beg for some. I dance when there's no music playing! If I can deal with that, I can deal with your midnight galley raids and Kirk imitations and polka nights."

"'Weird'." Spillane rubber her chin. "That's...the strangest thing any member of my crew has ever said to me."

Satterwhite smiled quickly. "I meant it with all due respect, ma'am."

"Uh-huh."

The smile died, and the Ensign began rubbing her hands together nervously. She wasn't done spilling yet.

"So," Spillane pressed on, "The Pennsylvania. Late model Excelsior. They truly aren't making them like that anymore. I know what you're going to say. 'It's a good thing, too.'"

Satterwhite leaned forward, gripping the front edge of the desk. "But they call her 'the Dragon Lady'!"

"And that's one of her nicer nicknames. Yes, Ensign, I know. She definitely has earned her reputation."

"They want me to fly her!"

"As relief in the beginning. Where you go after that is up to Captain Sutek and Command...and you."

"But that ship--"

"The Excelsiors have proven themselves as excellent vessels for nearly eighty years. You could do worse."

"I've piloted an Excelsior only once, and that was on a training cruise."

"Are you saying you've forgotten how to fly one?"

"No, ma'am. But that ship didn't try to boot me out of a job. I bet there's a running tally painted somewhere on the Penn's secondary hull of all the helmsmen she's managed to get rid of."

Spillane grinned. "You could just let her kick you out of the pilot's seat. Then you wouldn't have to worry about it."

"And let Starfleet know I got beaten by a ship?" Satterwhite said, appalled. "Ma'am, even that's worse than being on the Penn."

"Then what do you want from me, Ensign?"

She got down on her knees. "Please get me out of this posting, ma'am."

Enough was enough. "To be honest, if I could, I wouldn't. I think this will be good for you. Sutek is one of the best at developing junior officers."

"A lot of people don't get past him."

"That's true. But they're not you."

The Ensign got to her feet, her shoulders slumping in defeat. "I'm just a pilot, ma'am."

"Apparently," Spillane said with equal parts compassion and conviction, "Command doesn't think so. I don't think so. And Captain Sutek, the master prognosticator that he is, doesn't think so, either. ETA to Helios Station is four point six days. You'll report to the Pennsylvania when she arrives. Get packing...and Godspeed. Dismissed."

Ensign Sydney Satterwhite, Personal Log, Stardate 33825.5, 2167 hours.

No greater grief than to remember days
Of joy when misery is at hand.

This is the last log entry I'll ever make as a member of Minerva's crew.

Before I enter the bowels of Hell.

I've made several entries before this about my time here, what I did, the people I met, so I won't repeat it here. I've already said all my good-byes, cried all my tears, and accepted all the condolences, even from people I don't know.

I still think up ways i could possibly get out of this assignment, and none of them will work, as far-fetched as most of them are. I guess I'm not as smart as I think I am.

"I think this will be good for you," Spillane says. How can I possibly believe that? You don't serve on the Pennsylvania, you survive aboard her. And if you don't survive?

I don't even want to think about it.

End Log.

THE END

Old May 27 2009, 08:50 PM   #5
Mistral
Vice Admiral

Very nice development of Sutek. I am warming to the man. A great story(and the nicknames had me snorting soup out of my nose). You need to combine all of your SSS stories into a series on Ad Astra chronologically. I'd love to go through them.

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2009, 12:00 AM   #6
Sovereign_One
Lieutenant Commander

Done.

Old May 29 2009, 09:30 PM   #7
CeJay
Commodore

I'm a big fan of great, naturally flowing dialog and yours is really a lot of fun to read. Spillane and Sutek's conversation was akin to a chess game but flowed with the intensity of a great tennis match.

My favorite scene however was between Spillane and Satterwhite and her desperate attempt to grovel herself out this assignment. Also I give her credit for calling her captain 'weird'. In her face. Awesome.

You might think however that Satterwhite is the second coming of Masaka considering how much time and thought is spent on her by the big brass. I understand she has serious potential and all but I'm not sure if any junior officer would (or should) warrant that much attention.

Now with a complete United Trek story archive.
CeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2009, 09:47 PM   #8
Sovereign_One
Lieutenant Commander

Yeah, it does seem that way, and maybe I should watch that.

Old May 30 2009, 12:22 PM   #9
DavidFalkayn
Commodore

I'm glad I found this story. I too enjoyed the dialogue sequences: Sutek and Spillane; Spillane and Satterwhite. I also enjoy your characterizations--including that of the Pennsylvania.