Takei Calls For Boycott
By: T'Bonz on Mar 27

April-May 2015 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Mar 27

Quinto TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Mar 26

Shatner Remembers Nimoy
By: T'Bonz on Mar 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old May 21 2009, 07:09 PM   #16
cyph
Captain

View cyph's Twitter Profile
Re: A fashion disaster

I thought everyone had "house clothes" and "outing clothes"? Who has a whole wardrobe of clothes that they where both in and out of the house??????

Sometimes I make pictures
cyph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2009, 08:21 PM   #17
Mallory

cyph wrote: View Post
I thought everyone had "house clothes" and "outing clothes"? Who has a whole wardrobe of clothes that they where both in and out of the house??????
Holdfast. In fact he has two, one for spring/summer and one for fall/winter.
Old May 21 2009, 08:24 PM   #18
ITL
Vice Admiral

Mallory wrote: View Post
Holdfast has clothes simply for use in the hallway between the kitchen and the foot of the stairs.

(Rakishly Noel Coward-esque smoking jacket, BTW).
Old May 21 2009, 08:26 PM   #19
Garrovick

I wear "sleep pants" in the house, but not outside. If I'm going outside, I put on jeans. I also have a 30 year old real leather Motorcycle/Bomber jacket I wear when it's cold outside around the yard, but today, it's just too dorky looking for "down town".
Old May 21 2009, 09:07 PM   #20
An Officer
Vice Admiral

Who has a whole wardrobe of clothes that they where both in and out of the house??????
Plenty. You'd be surprised. I imagine those people must have a larger clothes budget - if things get ruined, they just buy more.
Old May 21 2009, 09:34 PM   #21
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral

I have a pair of bright pink Crocs. They're very comfortable around the house and in the garden but I wouldn't be caught dead wearing them outside.

WillsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2009, 09:59 PM   #22
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!

An Officer wrote: View Post
I don't hold with saving things for best... I want to know I enjoyed as many of the finer things available to me as I could.
Absolutely. This is entirely what I do when it comes to clothes. Why buy nice stuff & never wear it?

Mallory wrote: View Post
I use wardrobe space as the one form of quantity control on my clothes. I've deliberately held off buying more wardrobes/chests of drawers because I know I'd just fill them up within months!
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2009, 10:20 PM   #23
Koinek
Vice Admiral

Personally I think Ugg Boots look really cute on women. But like most things they need to be worn the right way. I think in winter with tight jeans = super cute. Summer with sun dress = stupid. Leggings + Uggs = You need the right legs and color coordination to pull it off.
Old May 21 2009, 10:21 PM   #24
Kirk's_Tights
Fleet Captain

I hate sweatpants and t-shirts but I wear them when inside.
Kirk's_Tights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2009, 10:53 PM   #25
Ariadne
Vice Admiral

Who has a whole wardrobe of clothes that they where both in and out of the house??????
Plenty. You'd be surprised. I imagine those people must have a larger clothes budget - if things get ruined, they just buy more.
Or they know how to clean and repair their clothes.
Ariadne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2009, 10:56 PM   #26
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Holdfast wrote: View Post
I don't hold with saving things for best... I want to know I enjoyed as many of the finer things available to me as I could.
Absolutely. This is entirely what I do when it comes to clothes. Why buy nice stuff & never wear it?
I prefer the simpler method, "Why buy nice stuff at all when you can get away with wearing Yankees gear pretty much 24/7?"
Everybody's looking for Stilton
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2009, 11:46 PM   #27
An Officer
Vice Admiral

Ariadne wrote: View Post
Cleaning and repairing cannot do much for items which look faded and tired due to be being worn night and day. Daily wear and tear shows up on certain materials especially.

You can keep clothes looking new as long as possible by resting them when you get home, or you can wear them non-stop regardless and replace them at an accelerated rate. I was merely stating that the choice between the two might be affected by individual budget.
Old May 21 2009, 11:55 PM   #28
Warp Coil
Rear Admiral

I guess I'm the oddball because when I get up in the morning and take a shower, I dress in whatever I plan to wear for that day. That entire day. I don't lounge around the house in sweatpants or underwear. I wear jeans and a shirt. I'll only change if I have to (like if I'm going to the gym or I'm going to do something that requires a different set of clothes).
"I managed to find Uno and Checkers, and also parts of Battleship and most of the pieces of Candy Land, which I figure, I can mix together to create a fabulous new game, CandyShipBattleLand. War never tasted so good." - Lorelai Gilmore
Warp Coil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2009, 12:39 AM   #29
Ariadne
Vice Admiral

Ariadne wrote: View Post
Cleaning and repairing cannot do much for items which look faded and tired due to be being worn night and day. Daily wear and tear shows up on certain materials especially.

You can keep clothes looking new as long as possible by resting them when you get home, or you can wear them non-stop regardless and replace them at an accelerated rate. I was merely stating that the choice between the two might be affected by individual budget.
That's true.

I guess I throw my stuff out or tear it up when it reaches the point that I don't want to wear it in public. But I'm not sure I'd save a lot of money by changing when I got home - most of the wear and tear happens outside, and I'd imagine a trip through the washing machine adds more to fading than a few hours of sitting around at home.
Ariadne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2009, 01:03 AM   #30
JimCasy
Captain

I have these terrible shorts that have hung around our family since I was like 8 years old. My mom handed them down to my sister, and she handed them down to me. The elastic's all worn out in the waist, they're way shorter than anything I would wear in public, and they're white...but they're soooo comfy to lounge around in during the summer. I'm just happy I'm comfortable enough around my roommates to wear them around the apartment.
JimCasy is offline   Reply With Quote