Beam Me Up Scotty Figurines
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

UK Auction To Feature Spock Costume
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Pine To Star In Wonder Woman
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Pegg Teases Elba Character
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old May 20 2009, 04:45 AM   #1
dHunter333
Lieutenant

Why did they have neelix leave?

i'm sure its been discuss before
i'm in process of watching voyager all the way through (all trek actually, starting with tos/movies/tng/ds9/voy, currnetly in season 3 ds9 season 1 voy) as i recall neelix leaves in the last episode
i found this stupid
first of all if they ever made a movie (which didnt happen) he is out of it
second of all, its not like it cost them more $ to keep him on board, i hated splitting up the crew
i really wish they kept kes as a secondary character when seven came but oh well

i just didnt like the neelix thing the most, i know he was a delta quadrant species but he still should've stayed with the crew IMO
dHunter333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2009, 05:09 AM   #2
Tachyon
Fleet Captain

Re: Why did they have neelix leave?

I agree. Neelix should have stayed.
Old May 20 2009, 06:30 AM   #3
m.lp.ql.m
Lieutenant

As I understood it, Neelix's home wasn't Earth; it wouldn't really be a homecoming for him if he had stayed on Voyager. Of course, I never really understood why he decided to come on board in the first place.
m.lp.ql.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2009, 06:51 AM   #4
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

they lived in a rock and were constantly attacked by pirates., They bent over and accepted basically slavery and when the first guy with stones shows up to save them, Neelix, Neelix's stones were large enough to make these little girls gulp in awe, they made him their leader and next possibly their messiah and god as it's not just the chippie we saw who was offering herself up on a plate like sunshine gangster that... Fickle little buggers are going to attatch themselves to the next star that turns up.

The Talaxians, all 30 of them, should have come to earth.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2009, 06:52 AM   #5
Xerxes1979
Captain

He met a nice Talaxian woman and was made Federation ambassador to the Delta Quadrant.

What the hell was he going to do on Earth? Janeway was made an admiral so it is not like they would be cruising around on Voyager with the same group of people.

This was the best outcome for Neelix.

Last edited by Xerxes1979; May 20 2009 at 09:44 PM.
Xerxes1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2009, 07:24 AM   #6
Fish1941
Lieutenant Commander

Xerxes1979 wrote: View Post
He met a nice Talaxian woman and was made Federation ambassador to the Delta Quadrant.

What the hell was he going to do on Earth? Janeway was made an admiral so it not like they would be cruising around on Voyager with the same group of people.

I agree. I think that Neelix had remained aboard Voyager because he had no other place to call home. The Talaxians were spread across the quadrant. The only person he was close to was Kes. But after she left, Voyager was the only place he had left. Until they ran into that Talaxian mining colony . . . and he fell in love. I saw nothing wrong with that.
Fish1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2009, 09:55 AM   #7
Cdr MacDuff
Lieutenant Commander

It was perfect. And brought closure to Neelix adventure.

And could have been an opportunity for a Voyager movie. The Voyager crew could have been called back in the delta quadrant to save Neelix and his people (and possibly a lot of other species from an intergalactic threat).
Cdr MacDuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2009, 10:35 AM   #8
Frazzled
Commander

Cdr MacDuff wrote: View Post
It was perfect. And brought closure to Neelix adventure.

And could have been an opportunity for a Voyager movie. The Voyager crew could have been called back in the delta quadrant to save Neelix and his people (and possibly a lot of other species from an intergalactic threat).
Now there's a good idea for a fanfic.......

As far as I'm concerned the Jury's out. I can see why they'd leave him in the Delta Quadrant at the end of the series, as it was where he belonged, but it feels a bit weird after him being with them the whole time and sharing in their dream to get to Earth even in Bliss, and it also makes use of the Star Trek 'major useful coincidence that would never happen' thing, which I love when it suits me and hate when it doesn't that halfway home from where they started they found a Talaxian colony, and it just so happened to be a few weeks before they miraculously returned to Earth...
Frazzled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2009, 02:18 PM   #9
JustKate
Rear Admiral

I also think it was a great way to give Neelix a happy ending. He wanted a home...and he found one. What's wrong with that?

OK, so apparently several people see quite a few things wrong with that, but I don't. He was always kind of weird little duck out of water, and it was nice to see him come to his own, in more ways than one.
JustKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2009, 02:27 PM   #10
exodus
Fleet Admiral

Fish1941 wrote: View Post

What the hell was he going to do on Earth? Janeway was made an admiral so it not like they would be cruising around on Voyager with the same group of people.

I agree. I think that Neelix had remained aboard Voyager because he had no other place to call home. The Talaxians were spread across the quadrant. The only person he was close to was Kes. But after she left, Voyager was the only place he had left. Until they ran into that Talaxian mining colony . . . and he fell in love. I saw nothing wrong with that.
Agreed.

He found someone of his peeps to be his wife.
Your spouce comes before your friends, that's just natural.
Having a son to boot is just another plus.

He ended up with a better life there than he ever would on Earth.
Old May 20 2009, 02:31 PM   #11
Vykan12
Lieutenant Commander

For movie possibilities, nothing beyond TOS and TNG have gone to the big screen, and with the new direction of STXI, I doubt we’ll ever get to see anything based on DS9/VOY/ENT to hit the cinemas. Though even if Voyager did, Neelix could easily re-join the crew. In fact, it could make for an interesting plot point if the writers were to handle it competently enough.

As for splitting up the crew, he left the episode before the finale, and his departure made sense based on the events of that episode, so I don’t see what you’re so upset about. I do agree about Kes, though too many people superficially dismiss 7’s amazing character simply because she was introduced as an attempt to sexify the show for ratings. Overlook the catsuit and appreciate the character beyond her mere physiology.
Vykan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2009, 02:49 PM   #12
NumberOne
Lieutenant Commander

He would have opened a restaurant
NumberOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2009, 03:53 PM   #13
kimc
Coffee Mod

NumberOne wrote: View Post
He would have opened a restaurant
The Leola Root Cafe.

kimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2009, 04:05 PM   #14
Lynx
Rear Admiral

Neelix should have stayed.

It was stupid to dump him with only three episodes left and the whole plot in "Homestead" was ridiculous (no, I haven't watched the episode but I know what happened).

Neelix should have stayed, then he wold have been available for further adventures in books or possible movies.

Welcome to visit the Kes Website at:http://www.lynx677.tk/
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2009, 04:06 PM   #15
kimc
Coffee Mod

Lynx wrote: View Post
Neelix should have stayed, then he wold have been available for further adventures in books or possible movies.
Well, assuming there's ever going to be another "classic Voyager" book or movie the fact that Neelix and his clan are living in a precarious situation on that asteroid could provide some good drama.

kimc is offline   Reply With Quote