Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old May 21 2009, 06:14 PM   #31
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Re: Your definition of a real 'Trekkie'?

God knows, anyone who's willing to call themselves a "trekkie" is welcome to the club (such as it is)...
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2009, 06:53 PM   #32
Hambone
Fleet Captain

I decided a long time ago that the difference between a "Trekkie" and a Star Trek fan is this: a Trekkie allows Star Trek to "leak out" into his/her real life, blurring the line between fact and fantasy. If you watch the show, buy the DVDs or the occasional book or toy, you're a fan; if you wear a Starfleet uniform to work, speak Klingon regularly, or flash the Vulcan salute to stangers, you're probably a Trekkie.
Old May 21 2009, 06:57 PM   #33
Colonel Green
Vice Admiral

^ I consider myself a trekkie, but I do not own a uniform, attend cons or speak Klingon.

That said, I DID once make a 2hr detour to visit Vulcan, Alberta...

- Homer
Colonel Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2009, 07:05 PM   #34
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

Colonel Green wrote: View Post
Now we understand why it's other namesake got turned down, when they asked if they could host the premiere!

I wonder if a black hole has subsequently removed it from any map.
Old May 21 2009, 10:30 PM   #35
Tentacle
Lieutenant Commander

explodingmuffin wrote: View Post
Thanks for all your input. I wish I could be as chill about this as you guys are, and I know that this is such a trivial thing to get so worked up over, but it bothers me regardless.

I'll try listing some reasons why these people bother me so much, maybe you can tell me where I'm wrong?

- They don't know what it's like to be called a nerd or geek and teased for liking Star Trek because it's more popular now.
- Star Trek fans are usually more free-thinkers (at least as far as the ones I've encountered go) and these people...are mostly the follow-the-trends-of-society kind of people.
- There are a lot of slobbery teenage fangirls (usually for anime) at my school. Many of these people are the ones I'm so annoyed with.
- This new movie doesn't even actually follow the timeline and is more like Star Wars than Star Trek, in my opinion. I like it a lot, but it's really very different from the rest of the Trek universe.
- I seem to attract these kinds of people for some reason. They didn't bother me at first, it just that I keep encountering them.
- I kind of had a problem with other teenage Trek fans before the movie, and now the population has exploded.

Hm. I'll bet most of these people lose interest when they either start trying to watch the series and realize it's not as exciting as the movie, or when the next big summer movie comes out. I think that is part of the reason too though - they're claiming to be Trekkies when they probably won't even care about it in a few months. I know I need to just ride this out, but I'm easily annoyed by other people in general, and other people are hard to ignore when there's 6 billion of them on the planet.
I know how you feel, I've been thinking about this question ever since I saw the new movie.

It annoys me that the bullies that tormented me for being nerdy and liked star trek in my youth are now all fans of trek.

I do believe its those loyal fans that endured the ridicules, kept trek alive long enough to have this "cooler" new version made for the masses. And now star trek is cool, those old loyal fans are being ridiculed again for being too nerdy and trying to hold on to the old school trek.

For those new fans that like the movie and now call themself fans, this is only a pass fad for them. Most of them will not stay.

I believe for those that claim to be hardcore fans, "trekkies" as they call themselfs. They certainly do know their cannon and all that. But they never did buy into the grander ideals of trek. That is why it is so easy for them to like this new movie. Those fans in my opinion liked trek for all the cosmetic reasons, and not the heart and soul of it.
Tentacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2009, 10:30 PM   #36
Islander
Commodore

ChristopherPike wrote: View Post
Colonel Green wrote: View Post
Now we understand why it's other namesake got turned down, when they asked if they could host the premiere!

I wonder if a black hole has subsequently removed it from any map.
The fact that they don't even have a movie theater was probably more an issue in this case!

I did see an interview of Leonard Nimoy on Space about the movie and this came up. He himself made some calls to arrange for about 200 resident of Vulcan to go see the premiere in Calgary.

Just shows how nice he is. And he's not even Canadian unlike that other trek guy... Just kidding obviously but how Shatner ever got a university pavillon named in his honor is beyond my understanding.
Old May 22 2009, 04:01 AM   #37
AxelFoley
Commander

Thank God this didn't turn into a retarded Trekkie Vs Trekker debate:

A Trekkie to me, is a fan of the show, a big fan, not a casual one. That of course, doesn't mean that every Trekkie is such a big fan that they go to Trek conventions, dress up in uniforms etc. Like previously mentioned, there are degrees. Trekker doesn't exist in my eyes, it's just something that was made up because the name Trekkies had been ridiculed too much. Pussies.
Old May 22 2009, 04:14 AM   #38
Tentacle
Lieutenant Commander

well since the début of this movie all trekkies can come out f the closet now.

Because this movie is so cool, there is no longer a need to be ridiculed anymore.
Lets all jump for joy...

oh wait not unless you cant stomach the dumbness of this movie then you are back into being an social outcast once again...
So from now on I'll call these outcasts trekkies as how a social outcast should be called.
Old May 22 2009, 05:06 AM   #39
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Tentacle wrote: View Post
oh wait not unless you cant stomach the dumbness of this movie then you are back into being an social outcast once again...
So from now on I'll call these outcasts trekkies as how a social outcast should be called.
Sorry, I'm a trekkie and I like the movie so we can't call them that.

I'll call them something else.
Old May 22 2009, 05:15 AM   #40
Tentacle
Lieutenant Commander

You shall not take the stigma away from the word.
Old May 22 2009, 05:43 AM   #41
Geckothan
Fleet Captain

Triskelion wrote: View Post
Am I a fan, or a Trekkie?

Good question! Well this difficult question inspired me to write a little quiz to help people find out.

The Trekkie Temperament Sorter:
11-16 Correct:
You are a Trekkie! Congratulations would be given, but none are required. You are already too cool for internet social affirmation. So crack open a bottle of Aldeberran whisky and a plate of Racht, pop in your favorite Trek DVD and live the life of the righteous!
I wouldn't consider myself a trekkie, more like a slightly-more-enthusiastic-than-average fan with way too much free time to read forums and watch DVDs. I've never even been to a convention

RIP Star Trek 1964-1999
Geckothan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2009, 05:46 AM   #42
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

Geckothan wrote: View Post
I wouldn't consider myself a trekkie...
And yet, you're posting on a Star Trek message board to debate the merits of the Trekkie/Trekker/casual fan labels.

Welcome to the club.
Old May 22 2009, 05:52 AM   #43
Geckothan
Fleet Captain

Maybe I should stop denying it and embrace my inner trekkie

RIP Star Trek 1964-1999
Geckothan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2009, 05:53 AM   #44
Tentacle
Lieutenant Commander

ohhh i took that test and here is what i got

11-16 Correct:
You are a Trekkie! Congratulations would be given, but none are required. You are already too cool for internet social affirmation. So crack open a bottle of Aldeberran whisky and a plate of Racht, pop in your favorite Trek DVD and live the life of the righteous!

But then I ask the question, is star trek merely trivia or cannon to you?
If so you have sadly miss the point.
Old May 22 2009, 05:57 AM   #45
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Tentacle wrote: View Post
You shall not take the stigma away from the word.
Sure I can.