A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 20 2009, 05:19 PM   #31
Dr. Chandra
Captain

Re: What if Firefly had run for five seasons?

Still, it might be interesting.
'The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure … America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better.' - Senator Barack Obama, 2006
Dr. Chandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2009, 12:32 AM   #32
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Cameron on Terminator would have been played by somebody else.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2009, 12:09 AM   #33
Joe Washington
Fleet Captain

How long do you think Firefly would have lasted if it wasn't cancelled back then?
Joe Washington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2009, 12:43 AM   #34
Dark Gilligan
Writer

A few things I'd do:

Zoe discovers she's pregnant (she and Wash talked about having children in Heart of Gold). She names the little boy Leaf, after Wash's "I am a leaf..." speech.

River becomes Serenity's full-time flight controller. Her psychic abilities enable her to navigate and track better than any machine. She may or may/not develop some chemistry with Jayne. Opposites attrack in the strangest ways...

Book turns out to have been one of many identical copies, replicants of an original template. Each one a "page from the Book". One was a Shepherd, one an Operative, others scattered throughout the 'verse. All of them linked. Don't know why yet, I just like the idea of seeing him again.
Old May 22 2009, 12:28 PM   #35
theenglish
Rear Admiral

If Firefly had last for five seasons than we would all be complaining right now about the lack of extras on the Blu Ray Season Boxes and accusing Fox of "double dipping".
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2009, 12:40 PM   #36
Manticore
Rear Admiral

Mistral wrote: View Post
Manticore wrote: View Post
Dac wrote: View Post
They go back in time to Earth that was and take down the origins of the Blue Sun Corporation, only then it was called the FOX Corporation....
Dac's Sig wrote: View Post
I HATE TIME TRAVEL.
There's something awesomely ironic about that sig combined with that post.

Firefly would probably be considered one of the better scifi shows out there, but I doubt that it would get as much acclaim as it does now. Much of that, in my experience, is due to its potential, which would have been realized, and it would have almost inevitably gone downhill at some point.

And I say this as a fan of the show who has his own Jayne hat...
You made a hat out of Jayne? How did you get him to bend like that?
With very great difficulty. And lots of chains.
Old May 22 2009, 01:26 PM   #37
Jono
Rear Admiral

nx1701g wrote: View Post
People would have eventually turned on it and nitpicked every detail...
Then we would have fun threads like, HAS FIREFLY JUMPED THE SHARK?, Firefly is dead to me, Character X needs to die!

If the show had run for 5 years we wouldn't have got Serenity, so I'd discount those events. I would probably keep the blue hands men in for two or three seasons, Reavers would not be from Miranda and probably just be mysterious and deadly, keep to the maurading monsters of craziness

River wouldn't be so uber so soon, stretch it out. That mobster guy that looked like he might have died comes back to terrorise the crew. Definitely go into Books past but he doesn't leave the ship. Inara does but comes back in season 2 to save Mal or Simon/River.

One of the season finales, maybe 2 or 3 I'd blow up Serenity. Obviously they'd need to get a replacement and the crew would disburse and you'd need some crazy plot to pull them all back together. Include other people like River either some on the run, some "failures" or some working for the alliance. Maybe even have an arc where River is working for the Alliance during evil or whatever the Alliance does.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2009, 09:54 PM   #38
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

I've been avoiding this thread because the premise is too depressing. To think what might have been...

To me, the main story arcs would be built around Mal on the one hand and Simon on the other. Those were the two characters who had the most character growth in front of them, and that growth should be the major driver of the plotline.

Mal needed to get over his bitterness and go back to the idealist that he was in the war. Simon needed to shuck the last vestiges of his privileged place in society, continue the process that started when he rebelled to save River, and in essence become a Browncoat.

The other characters would have roles in the story based on their relationships to Mal (Zoe, Inara) or Simon (Kaylee, River). And of course Jayne is just Jayne and is in it for the mayhem, tho I would love to see his relationship to both Mal and Simon developed as those characters change. Jayne trying to deal with the notion of Simon being more of a badass (more of a badass than Jayne, really - I think the guy had it in him) would have been golden.

It would have sucked to continue to story without Book or Wash, but I guess I can live with that. Makes it a pretty female-dominated cast, and that's interesting for a change.

Basically, this is the stuff they should have done:

Joe Washington wrote: View Post
SEASON THREE:

The consequences of the Miranda broadcast unfold. Though the Alliance has been able to fool most of the worlds under their control that the Miranda broadcast was a fake, it has hit a patch of difficulty trying to convince the rim worlds of the same thing. A rebel movement, made up of former Browncoats who refuse to give up the fight aganist the Alliance, use this as an opportunity to start a second War of Independence. This is the same movement that helped Simon rescue River but for the reason of using her as a weapon aganist the Alliance, which Simon was opposed to and took her from their clutches before they had a chance to try.

In the seventh episode, Simon feels the time has come for them to involve themselves in what's going off-world while Mal feels they have done enough with the Miranda broadcast. This splits the Serenity crew into two. Jayne, River, and Inara on Mal's side, and Zoe and Kaylee on Simon's side. By the end of the episode, Simon takes one half of the crew with him off-world while Mal and the other half stays on the planet.
If the show had run for 5 years we wouldn't have got Serenity, so I'd discount those events.
Yeah, we really need both Wash - the "common man" - and Book - "the mystery man" - on the series. Those are both great types to have in the mix.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2009, 10:17 PM   #39
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Makes it a pretty female-dominated cast, and that's interesting for a change.
At times on Buffy it felt like "Xander and the girls." Once Seth Green and Marc Blucas both left, that cast was definitely female-heavy.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2009, 12:07 AM   #40
Joe Washington
Fleet Captain

Temis the Vorta: maybe Book lives past the attack on the Haven colony. He's wounded but not mortally. He spends time in the medical bay recovering from his injuries. Wash still dies because the crew suffering such a loss brought some emotional stakes to their dangerous mission to expose the Miranda secret to the public.
Joe Washington is offline   Reply With Quote