Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old May 19 2009, 04:24 PM   #1
Professor Moriarty
Vice Admiral

View Professor Moriarty's Twitter Profile
Photos from the 1991-92 Ed Miarecki Enterprise restoration

Apologies if these links have been posted before, but I just came across these images today and thought they might be of interest:

Photos from the 1991-92 Ed Miarecki restoration of the 11-foot U.S.S. Enterprise studio model.

There has been endless debate about some of the choices Ed made during the restoration process--and I hope we can all behave like adults instead of petulant children if this thread reopens that debate--but I find these images endlessly fascinating. Aspiring Enterprise modelers will definitely want to pour over these images for valuable hints on how to build the Gray Lady.

When you're done gazing at the Enterprise photos, you should also check out Ed's other Trek-related restoration projects, including the original Klingon battlecruiser and Tholian/Aurora models.
Old May 19 2009, 05:26 PM   #2
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaiser Send a message via Yahoo to Kaiser
Re: Photos from the 1991-92 Ed Miarecki Enterprise restoration

Wonderful images

Thanks for posting
Old May 19 2009, 06:27 PM   #3
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Very spiffy. Thanks, Prof.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2009, 06:46 PM   #4
Q2UnME
Commodore

Thank you very much, Prof. M, for bringing these to our attention. I for one, have never seen these. I'd still love to see the original color Smithsonian photos when the Big E first arrived. All I've ever seen are black and white. You know damn well there is probably a file drawer of pictures somewhere still waiting to see the light of day. The Smithsonian botched their restorations, I think Ed did a really good job, but was a bit too heavy on the weathering effects. A few color pictures have surfaced over the last few years of the production filiming model that does show a good deal of weathering, but not to the extent to which Ed went. I do think Ed's restoration was probably the best of the various attempts, but still a little heavy on the weathering.

Ultimately, The Big E's current paintjob looks like whores makeup so I don't even want to talk about that topic.

Thanks for sharing!

Q2UnME

Whiskey - Tango - Foxtrot
Q2UnME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2009, 07:00 PM   #5
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

Q2UnME wrote: View Post
Thank you very much, Prof. M, for bringing these to our attention. I for one, have never seen these. I'd still love to see the original color Smithsonian photos when the Big E first arrived. All I've ever seen are black and white. You know damn well there is probably a file drawer of pictures somewhere still waiting to see the light of day. The Smithsonian botched their restorations, I think Ed did a really good job, but was a bit too heavy on the weathering effects. A few color pictures have surfaced over the last few years of the production filiming model that does show a good deal of weathering, but not to the extent to which Ed went. I do think Ed's restoration was probably the best of the various attempts, but still a little heavy on the weathering.

Ultimately, The Big E's current paintjob looks like whores makeup so I don't even want to talk about that topic.

Thanks for sharing!

Q2UnME
Beautiful shots...

One thing that immediately lept out at me from that set of images is that NONE of the various drawing-sets I've seen have gotten the "teardrop" B/C-deck superstructure shape right. It's commonly portrayed as being either much more rounded, or much "sharper" at the aft tip, but I don't think I've seen ANY that had the nearly -straight-edged appearance I see there.

That said... I'm happy with my own shape (which is not identical to ANY of the drawings, nor to this, it seems), as I've based it on a mathematically-driven form (the ubiquitous "conic form-factor" which I've used so frequently throughout this design). But that does sort of drive home that my choice (not to match Sinclair, or Casimiro, or any of the other references I've seen, in that detail) was a reasonable choice.
Cary L. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2009, 08:10 PM   #6
Arlo
Fleet Captain

It's funny that the nacelle struts are basically just covered 2x4's
Old May 19 2009, 08:42 PM   #7
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

Arlo wrote: View Post
Well, not "2x4's" but certainly wooden beams. No indication from those images of the actual size of those beams, though I'm pretty sure we know the real numbers.

Wood is actually a really, really good construction material, so I have zero problem with using it in this sort of application. In fact, when I do vac-form models, I almost always construct a wooden internal structure (using, mainly, model-aircraft plywood) and then just use the vac-form as a skin on top of that skeleton.

You can use aluminum or other materials for this sort of thing, but it's actually pretty hard to beat good ol' wood for strength-to-weight ratio and ease of use.
Cary L. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2009, 12:33 AM   #8
Arlo
Fleet Captain

Heh I know it probably isn't literal 2x4's, I was using the term in the more generic sense. It was just funny to see the reveal. I did a lot of wood working back in the day, so indeed I know how strong that can be.
Old May 20 2009, 01:15 AM   #9
Professor Moriarty
Vice Admiral

View Professor Moriarty's Twitter Profile

Arlo wrote: View Post
They're also quite solid, which is why the wiring for the warp nacelle Christmas tree lights had to be snaked up the inboard side of the starboard pylon and the outboard side of the port pylon. You can just barely glimpse this wiring in certain shots of the 11-footer, such as this one.

The same problem existed with the lighting effects for the saucer. Those wires were snaked up the port side of the interconnecting pylon.
Old May 21 2009, 07:05 PM   #10
RevDMV
Rear Admiral

I like the "This Old Starship" t-shirt....