New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade "Terminator Salvation"
"I'll be back!" (Excellent) 31 16.58%
"Come with me if you want to live." (Above Average) 61 32.62%
"Thank you for explaining." (Average) 49 26.20%
"If we stay this course we are dead! We are all dead!" (Below Average) 26 13.90%
"You are TERMINATED." (Poor) 20 10.70%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 22 2009, 02:53 AM   #76
AlphaMan
Rear Admiral

Re: Terminator: Salvation Discuss/Grade <Spoilers>

T'Baio!! Where's your review?

I liked it! Let's face it... This is a post apocolyptic war film. Most of the people that disliked it seem to do so on the premise.

I agree that keeping Marcus' reveal under better wraps would have made a better film, but it was sort of foreshadowed in the fight scene with Moon Bloodgood.

I felt this film sort of brought John Connor full circle. Kyle Reese saved his life in T1 before he was born and here we see John all grown up and saving a young Kyle Reese.

Seeing Arnold in CGI was great and the T-800 scarring John was cool too. I certainly hope for a sequel.
AlphaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2009, 03:01 AM   #77
DarKush
Rear Admiral

I thought it was better than T3. McG definitely knows and respects the Terminator franchise. However, I must admit that I got a little bored, and I'm not sure why.

The action scenes were good, I liked Marcus and Kyle (Yelchin did a great job as Kyle), but the rest of the resistance fighters besides Connor weren't fleshed out that well. It was cool seeing Michael Ironside again, but he pretty much just did his standard hardass thing. Why is John Connor taking orders from him or that guy at the beginning anyway?

I think Christian Bale brought the right intensity and hardness to the role, but I didn't warm to his character. Marcus, Kyle, and the mute girl provided more of an emotional impact or connection to me. So did Blair.

I was expecting more from Kate. I think Claire Danes did a better job, one of the few things I can say T3 had over this film. Common was better in Wanted.

There were no strong female characters in this film. The closest would be Blair. Which is suprising since ever other Terminator film had a strong female character-Sarah in the first two and Kate in three. Not to mention Sarah and Cameron on the TV show. I think for the sequel, if there is one, they need to work on Kate's character or give more time to Blair. The Linda Hamilton cameo was great though.

I was a little disappointed that John Connor didn't save the day. So far, he hasn't saved the day yet in a Terminator film. But at the same time I didn't get why he took off on his own against Skynet. That didn't make any sense.

I also didn't get why Marcus bought it when Connor said Kyle was his father. For one, there was an obvious age difference between the men. Also, it could've been a different Kyle Reese. I was hoping Marcus was going to have an incredulous look on his face or be disbelieving at first.

The Arnold cameo was cool, and the CGI was pretty good but not perfect. I am glad that the had the final showdown with the old T-800 series.

Hopefully there will be a sequel, but they need to work on creating more likable protagonists. Next time, let John Connor be the hero and the most interesting human character in the film.

Were there any references to the Sarah Connor Chronicles? I was so hoping that Kyle would mention Derek, but it didn't happen.

Also, were there any scenes after the credits rolled? I didn't stay to find out.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2009, 03:12 AM   #78
Blue_Trek
Captain

It was good, I felt it was on par with T3.
But it had a little bit of a Matrix/Transformers feel to it.

I liked both those movies so that is cool.

One HUGE plot hole, Kyle Reese was number one on the death hit list, and they put him in a holding cell, and didn't kill him, maybe to lure Conner, but that doesn't even make sense. The number one and two highest on the death list are at skynet HQ and they can't kill them?

That T-800 was extra strong too, the Arnie model T-800 always are, it seems.

Marcus was the ultimate Cyborg, human brain and heart, everything else artificial, sort of like Robocop.
Old May 22 2009, 03:25 AM   #79
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

B+

I wasn't expecting much but I was pleasantly surprised. I really enjoyed this film.

The Good:

-Sam Worthington. Without him, this film would have been shit. He made it what is was and provided the film with its humanity. He was the real star of the movie, not Christian Bale.

-Excellent FX on the machine design. No-brainer here.

-Excellent job creating the Post-Judgment Day world. From the ruined landscapes to the submarine to the postapocolyptic living. Job well-done there.

-Arnold's "cameo." I have to say, I was very impressed with how they pulled it off. A few years ago that would have looked fake but not anymore. Nice to hear Linda Hamilton's voice too.

-Anton Yelchin was good as Kyle Reese. His voice really sounded like Edward Furlong's, especially in the beginning.

The Bad:

-Completely incoherent opening thirty minutes of the film. You don't know what the hell is going on and it consists of little more than loud noise and explosions.

-One reviewer said that without Arnold, the film losts it fun. While I very much enjoyed the movie, it had to be the most humorless summer blockbuster I've ever seen. I know the situation they're in is supposed to be desperate but it's not going to kill anyonre to crack a joke.

-Christian Bale. His John Connor is fine (blows Nick Stahl and Thomas Dekker's away by miles) but he is apparently incapable of doing an action film without doing that fucking stupid grunt throughout the movie. Get the hell over yourself, you douchebag!

-Bryce Dallas Howard is beautiful in this film but her character is wasted in a completely useless role.

Criticisms aside, I very much enjoyed this film and I'll definitely check out the inevitable sequel.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2009, 03:26 AM   #80
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

I think Christian Bale brought the right intensity and hardness to the role, but I didn't warm to his character. Marcus, Kyle, and the mute girl provided more of an emotional impact or connection to me. So did Blair.
Very well said, DarKush.
Old May 22 2009, 03:44 AM   #81
LutherSloan
Fleet Captain

I have to say I was a bit surprised that Kate Connor had such a small role, and that her obvious pregnancy was never mentioned.

Expand Medicare for All!!
LutherSloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2009, 04:30 AM   #82
StarTrek1701
Fleet Captain

I'll give my review tomorrow.
StarTrek1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2009, 04:33 AM   #83
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

LutherSloan wrote: View Post
I have to say I was a bit surprised that Kate Connor had such a small role, and that her obvious pregnancy was never mentioned.
Yeah, the lack of acknowledgement of her pregnancy was strange.

One other thing I didn't like...at the very end, the T-800 has John Connor in its clutches. Now, logic would dictate that the Terminator would snap Connor's neck and that would be the end of it. Nope. He picks up Connor and stupidly throws him across the room. What the hell did that accomplish?
Old May 22 2009, 04:52 AM   #84
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

DarthPipes wrote: View Post
-Anton Yelchin was good as Kyle Reese. His voice really sounded like Edward Furlong's, especially in the beginning.
Haven't seen the movie but I think he'd have done better to sound like Michael Biehn.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2009, 05:07 AM   #85
xanderwess
Commander

I just got back from the show. I liked it, lots of big explosions and the action was good. I liked the Marcus guy too and Chekov was good. The ending was okay too, don't let all the negative bull shit some of the posters are tossing around fool you. Alot of this came from T1 and T2 and some T3 (ah, you know you all liked it.....)
xanderwess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2009, 05:08 AM   #86
Frontier
Vice Admiral

View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier

A whole new page of reviews, all leaning positive, and yet still a bunch of negative votes without any commentary to back them up...

Hrm...

Cameron-ites, maybe?

Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2009, 05:08 AM   #87
DontFeedPhil
Fleet Captain

I gave it an excellent...
For people that seem to not like the whole future war setting...what were you expecting???
I thought that all the terminator fights (and there were alot of them) were well done.
I wasnt there to follow a character from the beginning to end like you do in the other Terminator films. I just wanted to see skynet and see what its like where there are Terminators everywhere...
They have alot of places they can take the story in the next one...They have to show how the Resistance starts to learn how to actually take control of terminators and a whole bunch of other stuff...
I cant wait for Terminator:Resistance
Oh and what was the leaked alternate ending about???
DontFeedPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2009, 05:29 AM   #88
Agent Richard07
Admiral

I found out it was playing tonight, so I rushed out to see it. Everything's been said, so I'll just say I enjoyed it. I'll go with "average". It was nice to finally see a whole movie set during the actual war. Loved all the new machines. Schwarzenegger's cameo was great too. It was nice to see him take time out from governating to do the movie. He looks as fit as ever. In all seriousness... Special fx have come a long way haven't they? Remember how fake the dummy terminator head looked in the first movie?
Sephiroth wrote: View Post
nice touch with John' face scar...
Yeah.

DarKush wrote: View Post
Also, were there any scenes after the credits rolled? I didn't stay to find out.
I didn't either.

I thought I was done but I have a few more thoughts...

- I was kinda hoping that the molten metal John poured on the T-Whatever would turn out to be the stuff used to make the T-1000s. In fact, for about a second or two, I thought it was the liquid metal getting up.

- What can they do that would cover two more movies? Right now I'm thinking the second one could be about sending Kyle and the T-800 back and the third could be them winning the war for good.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2009, 06:32 AM   #89
Frontier
Vice Admiral

View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier

IMHO, for future films, it's simple:

There are two routes to go. Make the next film the future war we've all seen before but never in detail. Phased plasma rifles. T-800s. The resistance truly beaten down. Have Skynet have come back from this film with a vengeance, and pushed man to the brink. No choppers, no planes, no subs, none of that stuff. Truly rag-tag tech-com, people living in old storm drains. Give us that, with the end being them winning a significant victory and uncovering intelligence about Skynet's planned time travel machine...

The third film could then be one of two routes: either the epic final battle, in which they defeat Skynet and send Kyle Reese back, and we end with man rebuilding, humanity united, all our differences of the past finally settled by our common realization: we are not each others enemies, we are all human.

OR... the third film could be a remake of Terminator. Have the film begin when Kyle is sent back, past Skynet defeat, as he said they'd won when he was sent back and the time travel was Skynet's last chance to pull victory out of the fire.

Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2009, 06:56 AM   #90
Agent Richard07
Admiral

The movie also did a good job of cementing John Connor as the leader of the resistance. One question I've always asked is... How did he get to be leader of the resistance? What makes him of all people worth following? OK, that's two questions. Well, setting him up as a voice of reassurance and understanding of what these machines are, followed by having him step up in a big way by rescuing hundreds, then finally filling the void left by a wiped out leadership really worked and didn't seem contrived.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote