Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade "Terminator Salvation"
"I'll be back!" (Excellent) 31 16.58%
"Come with me if you want to live." (Above Average) 61 32.62%
"Thank you for explaining." (Average) 49 26.20%
"If we stay this course we are dead! We are all dead!" (Below Average) 26 13.90%
"You are TERMINATED." (Poor) 20 10.70%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 21 2009, 07:59 PM   #61
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain

Re: Terminator: Salvation Discuss/Grade <Spoilers>

Yoda wrote: View Post
Was it really that early in the war, 2018? Is my timeline screwed up? Wasn't this like 15 years after judgment day? I always got the impression that the resistance was a little more like what Kyle was up to in the beginning of the movie,
Yes, but Kyle was send back in 2029, right after they had defeated Skynet. What we saw in his flashbacks were the last days or weeks of the war.
So we still have 11 years to go.
Ayelbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2009, 09:01 PM   #62
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Ayelbourne wrote: View Post
Was it really that early in the war, 2018? Is my timeline screwed up? Wasn't this like 15 years after judgment day? I always got the impression that the resistance was a little more like what Kyle was up to in the beginning of the movie,
Yes, but Kyle was send back in 2029, right after they had defeated Skynet. What we saw in his flashbacks were the last days or weeks of the war.
But this is a new timeline. Anything can happen now. The years don't have to match up.
Old May 21 2009, 09:57 PM   #63
Jax
Admiral

T-4 looks to be in trouble if Nikki Finkes's numbers are even close to right...

Warner Bros' Terminator: Salvation already brought in $3 million from its midnight showings and should end Sunday with an estimated $60M for the 4-day holiday and a $75 cume for the 5-d
even worse news it won't be number 1...

Night At The Museum: Battle Of The Smithsonian should round up the family sample to end No. 1 with an estimated $85 million for the 4-day holiday
With little to no WOM, if these numbers are true and T-4 opens with similar or less than STAR TREK then I doubt the movie will be lucky to make more than $170 million domestic but luckily the worldwide sales should be good enough to warrant a sequel but with a budget less than the $200 million rumored for T-4.
Old May 21 2009, 10:05 PM   #64
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain

Babaganoosh wrote: View Post
Ayelbourne wrote: View Post
But this is a new timeline. Anything can happen now. The years don't have to match up.
Yeah, Judgement Day was delayed and happened a few years later. So the war as depicted here is at an even earlier stage than it would have been in 2018 of the old timeline.
Ayelbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2009, 10:52 PM   #65
Frontier
Vice Admiral

View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier

Donald Draper wrote: View Post
I have a question for Frontier. But anyone else who has seen the film can answer as well.

You were concerned from the soundtrack that Danny Elfman did not use the Terminator theme enough or at all. How much is it used in the actual film?
They used the drum-beat three times. The "du-du-du-du-du" thing, as used in TSCC. Beginning of the film, when Arnold appeared, and end of the film. As I recall.

I did like that; I'm pissed it's not on the score.

But they didn't use the "du-nuh-nuh, du-nuh-nuuuuuuh" theme at all.

Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2009, 12:17 AM   #66
LutherSloan
Fleet Captain

Just got back from seeing it, and I would give it an A or A-.

I agree 100% that they should have kept Marcus' true nature under wraps better. I mean, they even put the reveal scene in the trailer!

Other than that, I thought they did a great job of creating the bleak future we saw in previous films. There were loads of different machines with various functions that made a lot more sense. What was never explained was why Skynet bothered with human prisoners, unless it was to try and create the more advanced Terminators from some comic books and things.

The battle scenes were pretty awesome, especially the end scene where Connor and Marcus fight the T-800. Arnold's brief appearance (granted it was a much younger image of himself circa 1984) was fine, and there was some cheering in my theater for that. I'm glad that in the final fight it was really hard to kill the T-800, just like it was in the past.

I thought the ending was fine, although I was a little surprised no one bothered to tell Connor about Command, and that he was the de facto leader of the Resistance now.

Expand Medicare for All!!
LutherSloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2009, 12:25 AM   #67
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Timetravel has been used as a fan explanation for the years not matching exactly in T1-T3. However, the movie I saw indicates to me this is still the same direct universe/timeline as the prior films. This is a continuation film not a reboot/reimaging or what have you.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2009, 12:57 AM   #68
RoJoHen
Awesome

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
Timetravel has been used as a fan explanation for the years not matching exactly in T1-T3. However, the movie I saw indicates to me this is still the same direct universe/timeline as the prior films. This is a continuation film not a reboot/reimaging or what have you.
All of the films are technically continuations from the last one, but the time travel aspect allows the details to change slightly each time.
Old May 22 2009, 01:13 AM   #69
flavaflav
Commander

above average

didn't quite live up to my expectations, but a decent flick. i agree with some of the other reviews that Marcus being a Terminator should have been kept hush hush until the reveal. that would have been awesome. still, I thought he was a really cool character and i dug the fight between him and the T800. this was truly a movie about Marcus, not John Conner.

i'm surprised the movie wasn't more grim, but i suppose that's understandable since it's still early in the war... but they could have made things seems a bit more desperate than they did. didn't get to see any large scale battles either, sorta like what you see in the beginning of T2.

Danny Elfman sucks. I have no idea how this guy makes a living scoring films. Terrible soundtrack. this tool needs to be replaced for a sequel, and the Terminator theme needs to come back. his twist on it was abysmal.

Michael Ironside's character went to waste. I would have liked to see him get more screen time, along with a few other characters. the Linda Hamilton voice over stuff was bleh. as a whole, the acting I thought was good. didn't get no cheese or emo, so I liked that.

Arnold was fantastic. that is the best cgi job i've ever seen for a peeps face. completely believable.

ending was a bit meh. the T800s could have killed John any time they wanted, but no, they toy with him, shoot themselves in the foot, and let him blow the place up. i did think for a minute there that the original leaked ending was gonna happen when John got impaled. no way i thought he'd live. and what was up with Kyle Reese being targeted, but they let him live when caught? that made no sense at all. and how the hell does Skynet find out Reese is Conner's pops?

a good fun popcorn war flick, but missing a little something. outside Arnold and some amazing effects work, nothing truly jawdropping.
flavaflav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2009, 01:17 AM   #70
Yoda
Rear Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
All of the films are technically continuations from the last one, but the time travel aspect allows the details to change slightly each time.
Small details like whether the movie sucks or not?
Old May 22 2009, 01:31 AM   #71
RoJoHen
Awesome

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Small details like whether the movie sucks or not?
Well, I haven't see it yet...but maybe! Time travel is a fickle bitch.
Old May 22 2009, 01:53 AM   #72
Sephiroth
Vice Admiral

nice touch with John' face scar, it's the only thing that has been consistant with terminator, lol
Green chile cheeseburgers, Red and Green chile burritos, Green and Red chile pizza with beef and chicken, Green chile chicken kung pao, Green chile wine, Green and Red chile popsicles...You can get Red and Green on everything here.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2009, 02:10 AM   #73
Cmndr J Crichton
Commodore

So,does anyone know what scene Bale lost his temper in?
Old May 22 2009, 02:30 AM   #74
Alpha to Omega
Ensign

nx1701g wrote: View Post
At least they kept the TSCC connection to Marcus.
What connection?
Alpha to Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2009, 02:41 AM   #75
Chess Piece Face
Commodore

Wow this sucked. I love T1, T2 and I think T3 is just ok.

This was boring. I didn't give a shit about any of the characters. I felt zero connection to John Connor.

And worst of all? SKYNET COULDN'T KILL JOHN CONNOR IN THE MIDDLE OF A TERMINATOR FACTORY.

It was completely unbelievable. Shockingly retarded. And I find it hilarious that McG is quoted on TV that this movie is about the soul and the human heart because this is one of the most soulless movies ever.

The Sarah Connor Chronicles was better than this.
Chess Piece Face is offline   Reply With Quote