A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade "Terminator Salvation"
"I'll be back!" (Excellent) 31 16.58%
"Come with me if you want to live." (Above Average) 61 32.62%
"Thank you for explaining." (Average) 49 26.20%
"If we stay this course we are dead! We are all dead!" (Below Average) 26 13.90%
"You are TERMINATED." (Poor) 20 10.70%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 30 2009, 06:37 PM   #526
nx1701g
Admiral

Re: Terminator: Salvation Discuss/Grade <Spoilers>

Just wanted to add this:

Christian Bale has announced he's been let out of his contract for the next two films.
Old June 30 2009, 10:37 PM   #527
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

Thank Christ. He was bloody wretched in Salvation. I think the consensus about the acting in T:S is... Christian Bale = teh suck. Sam Worthington = Good enough. Certainly more Worthington will get me into T5. Well that and firing McG. And Bryce Howard too. They should get Nick Stahl and Claire Danes back as the Connors and Worthington as Marcus. Oh and more Ahnuld. More Anton as well. Worthington, Anton and Ahnuld were the only reason I stayed the running length.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30 2009, 11:52 PM   #528
Daneel
Rear Admiral

I think Christian Bale is usually a pretty solid actor, but I'll admit he didn't really wow me in Terminator Salvation. That said, what are they going to do for T5, recast the role again? Even when an actor may not be the best person for a particular role, I'm usually not too keen on recasts (i.e. replacing Katie Holmes with Maggie Gyllenhaal in The Dark Knight, even though I do think Gyllenhaal is a better actress). Personally, I feel it makes the verisimilitude of a created universe harder to sustain when a new actor takes over a character from another, especially when they interact with the other characters played by the original actors. We have to believe that it's always been this person, but the chemistry and dynamics invariably change -- and with the memory of the previous performer and their interactions with the same characters still in our minds, it's harder to forget that we're watching a movie. Of course, that's just my opinion, FWIW. Oh, and I do make exceptions to this, like in the case of reboots, Bond films (in which recasting the role every decade or so is pretty much expected, and is sort of like a soft-reboot anyway), etc.

But perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself; do we even know if there is a Terminator 5 in the pipeline? Yes, I'm aware they were planning to do it, but that was before Salvation performed below expectations, so what now? Will they let the franchise lie for now? Go ahead with T5 anyway, just without Bale (and perhaps McG, as well as others)? Wait for some time and then reboot it? What does this news about Bale mean?

If they do go ahead with the series anyway and just recast the role of John Connor (which seems likely), perhaps they could just try to get Nick Stahl to play the character again, rather than bring in yet another actor for the part. I thought Stahl did a fine job in T3; true, he didn't seem like the man who would lead the resistance against the machines, but he didn't have to be for that film -- Connor wasn't that man yet. But he seemed to finally embrace his destiny by the end, and I think Stahl could pick up where Bale left off, as a more seasoned and weathered John Connor. As for Kate Connor, it seems unlikely that Claire Danes would want to return, so maybe they should just keep Bryce Dallas Howard, whose talents were wasted in Salvation but could probably be put to better use in the next film... as long as the script is an improvement over this one.
Daneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2009, 03:11 AM   #529
RoJoHen
Awesome

To be fair, John Conner has never been played by the same actor twice.
Old July 1 2009, 05:44 AM   #530
Saul
Rear Admiral

nx1701g wrote: View Post
Just wanted to add this:

Christian Bale has announced he's been let out of his contract for the next two films.
Can you post a link to your source?
Old July 1 2009, 07:00 AM   #531
nx1701g
Admiral

Saul wrote: View Post
nx1701g wrote: View Post
Just wanted to add this:

Can you post a link to your source?
[COLOR=#bbccff]CinemaSpy[/COLOR]. He mentions that he's not contracted for any additional films in the series (McG reported that he had been contracted for 3 during the press tour for Salvation).
Old July 1 2009, 04:10 PM   #532
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Two things if that's true...

1) Bale leaving Terminator is for the best because he's proven that in a movie like that, he can't act like anything over than a second-rate hack.

2) The Terminator franchise is dying. They waited way too long to do a third movie and no one really cares anymore. Especially with no Cameron, Arnold, or Hamilton.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2009, 11:23 PM   #533
Yoda
Rear Admiral

We keep getting a different actor for John because the timeline keeps changing, and every time it does, a different kyle sperm hits that Sarah egg in T1

Conclusion: Kyle is kind of a pussy, and all the robot smashing genes are in Linda Hamilton's egg.
Old July 2 2009, 11:30 PM   #534
RoJoHen
Awesome

Yoda wrote: View Post

Conclusion: Kyle is kind of a pussy, and all the robot smashing genes are in Linda Hamilton's egg.
Sounds like a good theory to me.
Old July 2 2009, 11:53 PM   #535
Skywalker
Admiral

We keep getting a different actor for John because the timeline keeps changing, and every time it does, a different kyle sperm hits that Sarah egg in T1
So, does that mean in at least one timeline, Kyle and Sarah ended up with a daughter instead of a son?
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2009, 11:55 PM   #536
RoJoHen
Awesome

Skywalker wrote: View Post
So, does that mean in at least one timeline, Kyle and Sarah ended up with a daughter instead of a son?
Yes, and they named her Kara Thrace.
Old July 3 2009, 03:12 AM   #537
nx1701g
Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post
Actually there is a comic book where that happens called Terminator: Endgame. Sarah Connor gives birth of Jane Connor.
Old July 3 2009, 04:45 AM   #538
Skywalker
Admiral

Frak! I thought I had an original idea for once.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2009, 04:48 AM   #539
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Sarah Connor was a Cylon?

And I agree that removing Bale from any future Terminator project would be good for quality (though perhaps not for publicity).
Old July 3 2009, 05:31 AM   #540
RoJoHen
Awesome

Samuel Walters wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Sarah Connor was a Cylon?

No, and neither was Starbuck.