Inner Light Screenwriter Brooklyn Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek #44 Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Mulgrew Chicago Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Her Universe Fashion Show Contest
By: T'Bonz on Apr 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy All your nerd stuff goes here.

View Poll Results: Grade "Terminator Salvation"
"I'll be back!" (Excellent) 31 16.49%
"Come with me if you want to live." (Above Average) 61 32.45%
"Thank you for explaining." (Average) 50 26.60%
"If we stay this course we are dead! We are all dead!" (Below Average) 26 13.83%
"You are TERMINATED." (Poor) 20 10.64%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 14 2009, 11:51 AM   #511
pookha
Admiral

View pookha's Twitter Profile
Re: Terminator: Salvation Discuss/Grade <Spoilers>

archeryguy1701 wrote: View Post
Saul wrote: View Post
Ummmm but if Reese was dead then John would cease to exist anyway.....
Possibly. The impression that I'm getting from watching these movies though is that the Terminator series takes the approach to time travel that when something is changed in the past, it doesn't erase the future, but rather makes a new "time line branch". So if they are taking that approach, then Connor would stay alive because he was already born, but in another time-branch, there will be no John Connor.
even if that is so and killing reese would have just started a new time line branch just consider the impact psychologically on connor if he thinks he is going to save reese and discovers his dead body in the cell.

i mean even if reese was just bait all skynet would have to do is kill reese after seperating him from the others .

it could even have faked an image of him in his cell still alive.,
Old June 14 2009, 06:44 PM   #512
3D Master
Rear Admiral

pookha wrote: View Post
archeryguy1701 wrote: View Post
Saul wrote: View Post
Ummmm but if Reese was dead then John would cease to exist anyway.....
Possibly. The impression that I'm getting from watching these movies though is that the Terminator series takes the approach to time travel that when something is changed in the past, it doesn't erase the future, but rather makes a new "time line branch". So if they are taking that approach, then Connor would stay alive because he was already born, but in another time-branch, there will be no John Connor.
even if that is so and killing reese would have just started a new time line branch just consider the impact psychologically on connor if he thinks he is going to save reese and discovers his dead body in the cell.

i mean even if reese was just bait all skynet would have to do is kill reese after seperating him from the others .

it could even have faked an image of him in his cell still alive.,
Again, this is only true if Marcus doesn't see through the ruse. If Marcus DOES see through the ruse, a dead Reese means the trap is useless. Since Skynet couldn't absolutely know how well Marcus could interact with the network - there's that whole pesky human brain thing - it had to make sure there was a living Reese inside the complex. Known trap or no - the resistance had to come, Reese is simply too important.
3D Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2009, 07:00 PM   #513
nx1701g
Admiral

^ I'm pretty sure that Skynet could figure out a way to keep things from Marcus even if he were connected to their systems. The reason he wasn't immediately killed was Skynet was going to experiment on him before it killed him.
Old June 14 2009, 08:48 PM   #514
3D Master
Rear Admiral

nx1701g wrote: View Post
^ I'm pretty sure that Skynet could figure out a way to keep things from Marcus even if he were connected to their systems. The reason he wasn't immediately killed was Skynet was going to experiment on him before it killed him.
If Skynet could know exactly what Marcus' human brain could and couldn't do, it wouldn't have needed to create Marcus in the first place.
Old June 15 2009, 07:27 AM   #515
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral

I saw this today... it was pretty good. decent. watchable. and almost completely forgettable 10 mins after i watched it, but an entertaining watch regardless.

John Conner really had no depth. Marcus Wright was pretty cool, but his story really didn't have the humanity it was supposed to I think. I just feel like they could have done way more. I wonder if they will 'discover' time travel in the next movie.
Stone_Cold_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2009, 04:19 PM   #516
nx1701g
Admiral

3D Master wrote: View Post
If Skynet could know exactly what Marcus' human brain could and couldn't do, it wouldn't have needed to create Marcus in the first place.
I'm sure Skynet could find a way from keeping him from finding things out.
Old June 17 2009, 04:42 AM   #517
Digshot
Cadet

Just got around to seeing it - what a disaster. Couldn't have been worse, really. Makes T3 look like a masterstroke.

I've heard a lot of people and reviewers say that they liked the action sequences, which I just don't get. There was nothing in this movie that stood out or that I hadn't seen a million times before. Ooo - there was a giant robot? Been there. Ooo - there were two or three robo-cycles? Done that. That crap was supposed to make me forget about the crappy acting, atrocious writing, and nonsensical plot? What was impressive about any of it?
Digshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2009, 10:13 AM   #518
3D Master
Rear Admiral

3D Master wrote: View Post
I'm sure Skynet could find a way from keeping him from finding things out.
Again, if Skynet knew exactly what Marcu could and couldn't do and thus what it needed to do to keep Marcus from finding things out; it wouldn't need to create Marcus in the first place.
Old June 18 2009, 02:12 AM   #519
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Digshot wrote: View Post
Just got around to seeing it - what a disaster. Couldn't have been worse, really. Makes T3 look like a masterstroke.

I've heard a lot of people and reviewers say that they liked the action sequences, which I just don't get. There was nothing in this movie that stood out or that I hadn't seen a million times before. Ooo - there was a giant robot? Been there. Ooo - there were two or three robo-cycles? Done that. That crap was supposed to make me forget about the crappy acting, atrocious writing, and nonsensical plot? What was impressive about any of it?
Its a big thread but all your issues have been addressed. Read through the last 15-20 pages for how you missed apparently what the plot is or what has impressed others. If your complaint is "ooo been there done that" then I advise you to not see ANY movies in the future. Hollywood rarely does anything new.

Save your theater money for something else cause Transformers 2 is coming and thats again more of the same. Another Harry Potter will follow that so brace for more wizards and wands doing variations of the same thing. Basically I'm calling your 'complaints' bull##it.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2009, 06:07 AM   #520
Yoda
Rear Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
Digshot wrote: View Post

Its a big thread but all your issues have been addressed. Read through the last 15-20 pages for how you missed apparently what the plot is or what has impressed others. If your complaint is "ooo been there done that" then I advise you to not see ANY movies in the future. Hollywood rarely does anything new.

Save your theater money for something else cause Transformers 2 is coming and thats again more of the same. Another Harry Potter will follow that so brace for more wizards and wands doing variations of the same thing. Basically I'm calling your 'complaints' bull##it.
But Savlation uhh, still sucks.
Old June 18 2009, 04:58 PM   #521
Ethros
Vice Admiral

This has probably already been mentioned, but just wanted to say I loved the use of Guns N Roses' "You Could Be Mine" when John was setting up the trap. Great callback to T2
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2009, 05:48 PM   #522
kes7
Fleet Captain

I just saw it and liked it fine as a blow-'em-up action flick. The plot was a big pile of missed opportunities, though. The thing that bothered me most is that I came away thinking of Marcus Wright as a better human being than John Connor. (And, as a woman, I have to say I found Sam Worthington much better looking than Christian Bale.) I really hope if there's a fifth movie, that they either have Marcus alive, or explain why he had to die. I mean, it's not like in T2 where they needed to destroy Arnold so the tech wouldn't fall into the wrong hands. And I think he had proved his humanity by that point ... it makes no sense to let a healthy man give his heart to a dying one unless there was some concern he could still be controlled by Skynet. Did they cover this and I missed it?

Also, I agree with the multiple posters wondering why the Arnold Terminator didn't just kill Connor with a neck snap. What's with all the tossing him around? I realize this gave the rest of the story a chance to happen, but it made so little sense that it took me out of the story.

Oh, and this is totally the summer of Anton Yelchin. That kid must have an awesome agent. He did fine as Reese, but I think he did better as Chekov. I know I'm in the minority in this.

Last edited by kes7; June 18 2009 at 10:47 PM.
kes7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2009, 09:58 AM   #523
Capt_Piett
Rear Admiral

Someone told me, and I don't really see it, that they thought I looked like a cross between Christian Bale and Niko from the Grand Theft Auto Game. Does anyone else see it?

Old June 20 2009, 10:17 AM   #524
USS KG5
Vice Admiral

I'm not sure about that, but seriously you should smile more in pictures!
Old June 30 2009, 03:23 PM   #525
Dar70
Rear Admiral

Fonally saw it. I thought it was great. Hardcore Terminator fans though seem to hate it. There main beefs with the film are these...

-not enough on screen deaths. A whole submarine gets destroyed.

-not enough blood

-pg-13

-bad acting

-plot holes

This was a pure action film. Yes there wasnt as much death as in previous terminator films but thats ok. The harvesters were there to take people away and kill them later. We dont always have to see the killing on screen. There were a few plot holes. One is that in T1 reese say they only fought the Terminators at night. Which really isnt a plot hole i guess because this film is set before he really starts to fight with Connor. Im sure the next film will be set in 2029 and they will be fighting only at night.

Overall this film was wayyy better than hardcores and even critics said it was.
Dar70 is offline   Reply With Quote