RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,643
Posts: 5,427,844
Members: 24,811
Currently online: 484
Newest member: Damix

TrekToday headlines

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

September Loot Crate Features Trek Surprise
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

USS Enterprise Miniature Out For Refit
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Comic Crossover
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade "Terminator Salvation"
"I'll be back!" (Excellent) 31 16.58%
"Come with me if you want to live." (Above Average) 61 32.62%
"Thank you for explaining." (Average) 49 26.20%
"If we stay this course we are dead! We are all dead!" (Below Average) 26 13.90%
"You are TERMINATED." (Poor) 20 10.70%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 13 2009, 06:34 AM   #496
Servo
Rear Admiral
 
Servo's Avatar
 
Location: Manchester, England
Re: Terminator: Salvation Discuss/Grade <Spoilers>

nx1701g wrote: View Post
Servo wrote: View Post
nx1701g wrote: View Post
(so much so that Skynet actually feared the T-1000 would eventually become more powerful than it and turn against it - as shown in TSCC).
I did not know that. Man, I really should get around to watching TSCC sometime.
The T-1000 being considered a threat actually came from notes by Jim Cameron when designing the character. The producers and writers of TSCC really ran with it and created a pretty impressive character. I won't lie it's sort of like a rollercoaster though. You have edge of your seat episodes, but then you hit a bottom and it can be a little boring. The ending of the series though... well you won't expect what they do.
Sounds like an interesting direction. I'll have to see if I can squeeze it in over the summer while there's nowt else on.
__________________
"You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend... and you've never watched Star Trek? Good Lord..."
Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2009, 07:08 AM   #497
Yoda
Rear Admiral
 
Yoda's Avatar
 
Location: San Diego
Re: Terminator: Salvation Discuss/Grade <Spoilers>

3D Master wrote: View Post
Star Trek is a pile of shit with plot holes and idiocies in just about every scene, while Terminator Salvation is just about a masterpiece.

TS pacing was just about perfect, the characters were spot on, there was lots of good action. It doesn't have any real flaws as far as I'm concerned.
Star Trek is shit, Battlestar Galactica was shit, but Terminator: Salvation was just about perfect?

You, sir, are the king of trolls.
__________________
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2009, 07:48 AM   #498
3D Master
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Terminator: Salvation Discuss/Grade <Spoilers>

Snaploud wrote: View Post
Mr Light wrote: View Post
One thing about the movie I didn't understand; how did Skynet know that Kyle Reese, a teenage nobody, was important? Did the Terminatrix connect with Past-Skynet in T3 and give it all the information it would need on the future war and Connor or something? I don't recall the movie that well.
I believe the original version of the script had Skynet not knowing the importance of Kyle Reese.
My only real issue with the Reese part of the story was why Skynet even bothered to put him in a holding cell. If he was such a high priority target, and Skynet truly thought that killing him would negate Connor's existance, why wasn't he killed the second he was identified at Skynet HQ?

Apologies if this has already been addressed, but I got bored after reading the first 17 pages of this thread, and feared my own sanity would be at risk if I continued reading.
I addressed it: Reese wasn't a high priority target because he needed to die, he was a high priority target because he was bait.

Yoda wrote: View Post
3D Master wrote: View Post
Star Trek is a pile of shit with plot holes and idiocies in just about every scene, while Terminator Salvation is just about a masterpiece.

TS pacing was just about perfect, the characters were spot on, there was lots of good action. It doesn't have any real flaws as far as I'm concerned.
Star Trek is shit, Battlestar Galactica was shit, but Terminator: Salvation was just about perfect?

You, sir, are the king of trolls.
Of course, because anyone who has contrary opinion to your own, especially those supported by sound arguments is a troll.
3D Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2009, 08:01 AM   #499
Yoda
Rear Admiral
 
Yoda's Avatar
 
Location: San Diego
Re: Terminator: Salvation Discuss/Grade <Spoilers>

3D Master wrote: View Post
Yoda wrote: View Post
3D Master wrote: View Post
Star Trek is a pile of shit with plot holes and idiocies in just about every scene, while Terminator Salvation is just about a masterpiece.

TS pacing was just about perfect, the characters were spot on, there was lots of good action. It doesn't have any real flaws as far as I'm concerned.
Star Trek is shit, Battlestar Galactica was shit, but Terminator: Salvation was just about perfect?

You, sir, are the king of trolls.
Of course, because anyone who has contrary opinion to your own, especially those supported by sound arguments is a troll.
Oh come on, nobody can seriously look at Terminator: Salvation and see 'near perfection'. Not even the Dutch!
__________________
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2009, 08:52 AM   #500
nx1701g
Admiral
 
nx1701g's Avatar
 
Location: Aboard the Executor...
Re: Terminator: Salvation Discuss/Grade <Spoilers>

Servo wrote: View Post
nx1701g wrote: View Post
Servo wrote: View Post

I did not know that. Man, I really should get around to watching TSCC sometime.
The T-1000 being considered a threat actually came from notes by Jim Cameron when designing the character. The producers and writers of TSCC really ran with it and created a pretty impressive character. I won't lie it's sort of like a rollercoaster though. You have edge of your seat episodes, but then you hit a bottom and it can be a little boring. The ending of the series though... well you won't expect what they do.
Sounds like an interesting direction. I'll have to see if I can squeeze it in over the summer while there's nowt else on.
I recommend it. If you can though try to watch it from the beginning.
__________________
Not Dead Yet.
nx1701g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2009, 08:54 AM   #501
nx1701g
Admiral
 
nx1701g's Avatar
 
Location: Aboard the Executor...
Re: Terminator: Salvation Discuss/Grade <Spoilers>

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
This is just a bad idea. He'll essentially retcon out his own movie as well.
Also, personally, I'm over trying to stop JD...again. Its a done element now that Salvation has come to be. The TV Show is its own pocket universe and should remain that way. Simply because it was cancelled, obviously few cared about it so there is NO reason to relate those show elements into the cinema 'verse.

I wonder what The Arnold Fans are using as their source to report this.
The source was McG himself. As for the show: it did have upwards of 7 million viewers when DVR is taken into account, but I don't want to start a thread about the show.
__________________
Not Dead Yet.
nx1701g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2009, 10:09 AM   #502
Starkers
Admiral
 
Starkers's Avatar
 
Location: Paddling...
Re: Terminator: Salvation Discuss/Grade <Spoilers>

nx1701g wrote: View Post
Servo wrote: View Post
nx1701g wrote: View Post
The T-1000 being considered a threat actually came from notes by Jim Cameron when designing the character. The producers and writers of TSCC really ran with it and created a pretty impressive character. I won't lie it's sort of like a rollercoaster though. You have edge of your seat episodes, but then you hit a bottom and it can be a little boring. The ending of the series though... well you won't expect what they do.
Sounds like an interesting direction. I'll have to see if I can squeeze it in over the summer while there's nowt else on.
I recommend it. If you can though try to watch it from the beginning.
After seeing Salvation I'm even more annoyed that TSCC has been cancelled. I think even the worst eps were more enjoyable than TS.
__________________
Werewolves on the Moon Now with Guardians of the Galaxy review

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2009, 10:28 AM   #503
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer
 
Spaceman Spiff's Avatar
 
Re: Terminator: Salvation Discuss/Grade <Spoilers>

Yoda wrote: View Post
You, sir, are the king of trolls.
This kind of thing isn't necessary. Please don't do it again.
__________________
"Love means never having to say you're ugly."
- Dr. Phibes
Spaceman Spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2009, 04:58 PM   #504
Servo
Rear Admiral
 
Servo's Avatar
 
Location: Manchester, England
Re: Terminator: Salvation Discuss/Grade <Spoilers>

3D Master wrote: View Post
Snaploud wrote: View Post

I believe the original version of the script had Skynet not knowing the importance of Kyle Reese.
My only real issue with the Reese part of the story was why Skynet even bothered to put him in a holding cell. If he was such a high priority target, and Skynet truly thought that killing him would negate Connor's existance, why wasn't he killed the second he was identified at Skynet HQ?

Apologies if this has already been addressed, but I got bored after reading the first 17 pages of this thread, and feared my own sanity would be at risk if I continued reading.
I addressed it: Reese wasn't a high priority target because he needed to die, he was a high priority target because he was bait.
He doesn't have to be alive to be bait. Skynet could have killed Reese, and John - assuming he didn't cease to exist - would have been none the wiser and still attempted the assault on Skynet HQ.
__________________
"You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend... and you've never watched Star Trek? Good Lord..."
Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2009, 06:26 PM   #505
3D Master
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Terminator: Salvation Discuss/Grade <Spoilers>

Servo wrote: View Post
3D Master wrote: View Post

My only real issue with the Reese part of the story was why Skynet even bothered to put him in a holding cell. If he was such a high priority target, and Skynet truly thought that killing him would negate Connor's existance, why wasn't he killed the second he was identified at Skynet HQ?

Apologies if this has already been addressed, but I got bored after reading the first 17 pages of this thread, and feared my own sanity would be at risk if I continued reading.
I addressed it: Reese wasn't a high priority target because he needed to die, he was a high priority target because he was bait.
He doesn't have to be alive to be bait. Skynet could have killed Reese, and John - assuming he didn't cease to exist - would have been none the wiser and still attempted the assault on Skynet HQ.
That's not true. Marcus sent Reese cell to John; if Marcus saw through the fake cell he would still send the real cell to John, however, if Reese was already dead, the message to John would be: "Reese dead, abort mission."
3D Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2009, 07:50 PM   #506
Saul
Rear Admiral
 
Saul's Avatar
 
Location: 東京
Re: Terminator: Salvation Discuss/Grade <Spoilers>

Ummmm but if Reese was dead then John would cease to exist anyway.....
__________________
"It's not that you can see the strings, it's that 40 years later you're still looking at them." - Steven Moffat
"This movie was big. Imagine how big it could have been with me in it?" William Shatner
Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2009, 07:57 PM   #507
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral
 
archeryguy1701's Avatar
 
Location: Cheyenne, WY
Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701
Re: Terminator: Salvation Discuss/Grade <Spoilers>

Saul wrote: View Post
Ummmm but if Reese was dead then John would cease to exist anyway.....
Possibly. The impression that I'm getting from watching these movies though is that the Terminator series takes the approach to time travel that when something is changed in the past, it doesn't erase the future, but rather makes a new "time line branch". So if they are taking that approach, then Connor would stay alive because he was already born, but in another time-branch, there will be no John Connor.
__________________
"If it weren't for stupid, difficult races, there'd simply be no point to living."

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
archeryguy1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2009, 08:48 PM   #508
nx1701g
Admiral
 
nx1701g's Avatar
 
Location: Aboard the Executor...
Re: Terminator: Salvation Discuss/Grade <Spoilers>

archeryguy1701 wrote: View Post
Saul wrote: View Post
Ummmm but if Reese was dead then John would cease to exist anyway.....
Possibly. The impression that I'm getting from watching these movies though is that the Terminator series takes the approach to time travel that when something is changed in the past, it doesn't erase the future, but rather makes a new "time line branch". So if they are taking that approach, then Connor would stay alive because he was already born, but in another time-branch, there will be no John Connor.
While have no bearing on this film series that is how TSCC interpreted it with multiple timelines converging.
__________________
Not Dead Yet.
nx1701g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2009, 09:57 PM   #509
Hermiod
Admiral
 
Hermiod's Avatar
 
Re: Terminator: Salvation Discuss/Grade <Spoilers>

I gave this a Below Average. I did enjoy some parts of it, but in general I just felt it was weak. The plot didn't make a hell of a lot of sense in many places.

Still, the retro-Arnie was cool.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2009, 10:23 PM   #510
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral
 
SalvorHardin's Avatar
 
Location: Star's End
View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile
Re: Terminator: Salvation Discuss/Grade <Spoilers>

Saw it yesterday.... I was disappointed.
It was one of those cases where the trailers were good, raised expectations but the final product did not deliver.

I was surprised and really liked the Arnold/Terminator at the end i have to say though.
__________________

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
christian bale, sarah connor, t-800, terminator

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.