Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade "Terminator Salvation"
"I'll be back!" (Excellent) 31 16.58%
"Come with me if you want to live." (Above Average) 61 32.62%
"Thank you for explaining." (Average) 49 26.20%
"If we stay this course we are dead! We are all dead!" (Below Average) 26 13.90%
"You are TERMINATED." (Poor) 20 10.70%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 6 2009, 04:36 PM   #406
captcalhoun
Admiral

Re: Terminator: Salvation Discuss/Grade <Spoilers>

Saw it today. loved it. don't care what anyone else says, it was AWESOME!

would've been nice to see more military kit than just helos and warthogs though...
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2009, 09:59 PM   #407
melancholymecha
Rear Admiral

nx1701g wrote: View Post
I've been hearing rumors that they are working on a way to bring Marcus back for the next film, but I'm treating it as rumor.

Sam Worthington was contracted for a trilogy of films though so it's possible he'll be back.
if Clash of the Titans & Avatar do well they will certainly want Worthington back...

btw, do you know anyplace online I can find good stills from the film? There are some good ones on IMDB but they dont allow you to right click/save.
melancholymecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2009, 01:21 AM   #408
Harvey
Admiral

Ayelbourne wrote: View Post
In terms of story depth and plot, it's on par with Star Trek, so I really don't know why people who loved the latter are bitching about the plot of T4.
I've seen this comment a few times, so let me sat this: it's all about the characters. Both films have passable situations with a few plot holes, and make for excellent spectacle, but Star Trek made time for its characters. Terminator: Salvation only has time for one or two, at least in the theatrical cut, and the supposed leading man is left to be little more than a cypher.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2009, 07:50 AM   #409
Uncle Tobias
Lieutenant

I've been hearing rumors that they are working on a way to bring Marcus back for the next film, but I'm treating it as rumor.

Sam Worthington was contracted for a trilogy of films though so it's possible he'll be back.
I hope so, Marcus was great. Get him a artifical heart or another Hybrid one from some Skynet lab and he should be good to go, no? Maybe this is why they didn't show the burial scene from the novel?
Uncle Tobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2009, 12:53 PM   #410
john titor
Captain

5/10 mediocre and nowhere near a patch on the original first 2. Pretty dumb to boot, why do terminators like fist fights again? Terminator ended with Cameron. The rest are just cash ins. Like if someone wanted to continue writing LOTR stories after buying the rights to the franchise.
john titor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2009, 06:39 AM   #411
nx1701g
Admiral

So I read something new today about the proposed Terminator 5:

We're going to see life outside of America for the first time. The setting of the proposed Terminator 5 is not Los Angeles but rather London.
Old June 8 2009, 02:28 PM   #412
Camren
Commodore

Why does Marcus not seem to bothered about the fact he's (a) alive and seemingly well when he should be dead, and (b) that he's emerged to a post-apocalyptic world with few humans left? He's taken the whole thing in his stride and doesn't even bother asking Reese too many questions about the state of the world!
Camren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2009, 03:42 PM   #413
Fish1941
Lieutenant Commander

I rated it "Above Average". It has some flaws, but I basically found it very enjoyable, much to my surprise.
Fish1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2009, 03:54 PM   #414
Saul
Rear Admiral

So I read something new today about the proposed Terminator 5:

We're going to see life outside of America for the first time. The setting of the proposed Terminator 5 is not Los Angeles but rather London.
But skynet central is America. What would be in London? And what would Connor be doing there in the past if he travels back?
Old June 8 2009, 03:56 PM   #415
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi

Average.

I've seen it last night and a couple of things really stood out. I really didn't like them giving a face to Skynet. It killed the inherent ominousness of Skynet. And I gotta admit the expository scene where (as someone said earlier) felt like a Bond villain explaining his plan.
The other thing that really bugged me was Kyle Reese being Skynet's primary target. What??? How does Skynet even know of Reese's existence and/or role in the whole events? Did Skynet stumble upon John Connor's birth certificate where it's written "Father: Kyle Reese (b2002-d1984)" and did the math?

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Mutenroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2009, 04:59 PM   #416
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain

Camren wrote:
Why does Marcus not seem to bothered about the fact he's (a) alive and seemingly well when he should be dead
For all he knows, it could have been a sedative at his execution. From his point of view, he just passed out and was kept sedated for an indefinte time.
Mutenroshi wrote: View Post
Average.

I've seen it last night and a couple of things really stood out. I really didn't like them giving a face to Skynet. It killed the inherent ominousness of Skynet. And I gotta admit the expository scene where (as someone said earlier) felt like a Bond villain explaining his plan.
The other thing that really bugged me was Kyle Reese being Skynet's primary target. What??? How does Skynet even know of Reese's existence and/or role in the whole events? Did Skynet stumble upon John Connor's birth certificate where it's written "Father: Kyle Reese (b2002-d1984)" and did the math?
Nowhere is it said, that Skynet knew about Kyle being John's father. But it is possible that he knew about Kyle's successful mission in T1. Maybe he had him on his deathlist in order to make sure that the first Terminator get's the job done and kills Sarah.

Of course, the easiest solution to Skynet's mess would be to just not build that damn time machine. That way, Connor definetely won't be born.
Ayelbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2009, 06:28 PM   #417
xman
Commander

Camren wrote: View Post
Why does Marcus not seem to bothered about the fact he's (a) alive and seemingly well when he should be dead, and (b) that he's emerged to a post-apocalyptic world with few humans left? He's taken the whole thing in his stride and doesn't even bother asking Reese too many questions about the state of the world!
When he emerges from the mud he seems quite disturbed.
When he is saved by Kyle from the T-600 he is also upset.
Were you at the concession for that?

X
Old June 8 2009, 08:13 PM   #418
Xevious
Vice Admiral

How is it that the Terminators know about Kyle Reese in this time period? And if they know they he's Connor's father and that sending terminators back in time will not work (and will ultimately lead to Connor's birth), why would they still do it?
Xevious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2009, 08:17 PM   #419
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi

Nowhere is it said, that Skynet knew about Kyle being John's father. But it is possible that he knew about Kyle's successful mission in T1. Maybe he had him on his deathlist in order to make sure that the first Terminator get's the job done and kills Sarah.

Of course, the easiest solution to Skynet's mess would be to just not build that damn time machine. That way, Connor definetely won't be born.
Now, now, are you asking Skynet to do the smart thing?
Because in this case, Skynet should have used a PA and ordered:
"ALL TERMINATORS TO CONVERGE TO CORE SECTOR. TERMINATE PRIMARY TARGET! COMPLY!"
But hey!

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Mutenroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2009, 08:18 PM   #420
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Xevious wrote: View Post
How is it that the Terminators know about Kyle Reese in this time period? And if they know they he's Connor's father and that sending terminators back in time will not work (and will ultimately lead to Connor's birth), why would they still do it?
Well they still do need the first terminator CPU to be reverse engineered to create Skynet in the first place.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote