Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old May 17 2009, 09:40 PM   #1
john titor
Captain

Series with the best music

As in in game music, the themes for certain moments of action. TOS all the way for me. Its incredibly dramatic, yet just subdued enough not to overpower the scenes but to add to them. All the other series pale in comparison imo. Probably the best music in a tv show ever. Its filmic and original. Originality is a key ingredient missing in most music.
john titor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2009, 10:47 PM   #2
Middle Earther
Commodore

View Middle Earther's Twitter Profile
Re: Series with the best music

Actually, I think Enterprise, especially in the latter half of the short lived series had the best music. I wasn't overly thrilled with the title sequence, but, I remember (and I don't have the DVDs yet to review the last season especially) thinking that the music was quite impressive.
Old May 18 2009, 04:58 AM   #3
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

TOS is the music I remember and can hum at appropriate moments to annoy people. It's very distinctive and makes me think a little repetition is a good thing in series music.

However I did admire the music in ENT at certain points. I remember the music in Cold Front was quite noticeably good, very dramatic and and a little eerie.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2009, 05:44 AM   #4
paudemge
Captain

TOS here too, and I think television shows now don't use music nearly as well has past shows.
paudemge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2009, 06:17 AM   #5
clint g
Admiral

TNG though like others mentioned, ENT went on to develop an impressive soundtrack towards the end
Old May 18 2009, 07:01 AM   #6
Too Much Fun
Commodore

I'm a little torn about the music of "Star Trek". On one hand, I find it more catchy and memorable than that of the other series, but at the same time, there's so little variety, which makes it get repetitive and annoying. For example, there are the exact same melodies played every time 1) An enemy is shown, 2) Something bad happens, and 3) There's a fight. This gets really tiresome, especially when those things happen multiple times in a single episode. So I think "Star Trek" has the most fun music overall, but I appreciate how TNG and DS9 have more subtlety and variety in their music.
Too Much Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2009, 03:31 PM   #7
barnaclelapse
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to barnaclelapse

It depends on my mood, really.

Too Much Fun kind of nailed my opinion as well. When I want something that's light, catchy, nostalgic and stuff along those lines, I tend to go to TOS. When I want a greater variety, I go towards TNG and DS9.

ENT did boast some pretty badass music near the end. I'll definitely agree with that as well.
barnaclelapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2009, 05:29 PM   #8
john titor
Captain

Just my opinion but...

TNG had snooze fest music. Usually Picard would start off "captains log stardate 1234567, I am currently presiding over legislative revisions to a trade agreement between Ligosians and the Marklars, persuant to the treaty of Gilgameck blah blah blah" And this kind of pastel fifths string arrangement is playing in the background as if to emphasize how boring Picard and his universe is.

Its kind of the same with DS9. Its like supermarket or elevator orchestral music. TOS just stands out which is why I like it. VOY had the worst music though, it was just a poor imitation of BTTF.
john titor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2009, 08:29 PM   #9
Warp Coil
Rear Admiral

The music of TOS sounds quite dated and a little overdone, IMO. It probably fit in with the time period in which it was created, but to watch it now, the music stands out in a bad way. Early TNG had a few episodes with great music. There's no denying how original and great the score for "The Best of Both Worlds" is. The later seasons, however, become more subdued and less interesting. DS9 and VOY's music was pretty lackluster. Most of it sounded generic and recycled. ENT's music in the first couple of seasons continued the trend of generic, uninspired scores. However, towards the end, it became more interesting.

Really, Trek's best music has come from the feature films.
"I managed to find Uno and Checkers, and also parts of Battleship and most of the pieces of Candy Land, which I figure, I can mix together to create a fabulous new game, CandyShipBattleLand. War never tasted so good." - Lorelai Gilmore
Warp Coil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2009, 10:12 PM   #10
Jasper Sierra
Lieutenant Junior Grade

TOS. Its over dramatic and campy, which makes it fun while setting the feel for any scene.

Custom Promotional Products
Jasper Sierra is offline   Reply With Quote