Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Cho As Romantic Lead
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old May 18 2009, 05:20 PM   #1
Mr. Scott
Commander

Star Trek V.

Howdy!

I am now watching Star Trek V, in my opinion the worst movie of the whole series, or a close second to Nemesis. William Shatner directed this turkey, a turkey as big as old Scotty's gut.

Star Trek V is so bad on so many levels. The only good part of this film is when Kirk, Bones and Spock are out camping together. That's it.

However, the storyline was awful. Makeup and wardrobe was pitiful. For example, the Klingon skulls looks rubbery. The female Romulan ambassador on Nimbus III was such an awful actress who did not act anything like a Vulcan could act. She did not at all fit any other type of Romulan, from her hair, her clothes or her demeanor. The Uhura fan dance, the horses on Nimbus III. Attack of the three breasted cat-woman.

Sybok, what can I say? In the alternate Universe, someone needs to ask about Sybok and be told that he had a piano dropped on his head. I hate to admit it, but I loved the Klingons, because they were so stupid. The captain had the huge metal-band like hair.

Chinese Romulans, rubber faced Klingons, Grandma Uhura shaking her moneymaker, and Kirk, Bones and Spock acting all gay with each other.

Nemesis is the Star Trek V of the TNG series of films. Nemesis was so bad that Patrick Stewart was embarrassed of it. I would like to see it again, but remember being disappointed with it watching it the first time.
Mr. Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2009, 07:24 PM   #2
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: Star Trek V.

Mr. Scott wrote: View Post
Howdy!

I am now watching Star Trek V, in my opinion the worst movie of the whole series, or a close second to Nemesis. William Shatner directed this turkey, a turkey as big as old Scotty's gut.

Star Trek V is so bad on so many levels. The only good part of this film is when Kirk, Bones and Spock are out camping together. That's it.

However, the storyline was awful. Makeup and wardrobe was pitiful. For example, the Klingon skulls looks rubbery. The female Romulan ambassador on Nimbus III was such an awful actress who did not act anything like a Vulcan could act. She did not at all fit any other type of Romulan, from her hair, her clothes or her demeanor. The Uhura fan dance, the horses on Nimbus III. Attack of the three breasted cat-woman.

Sybok, what can I say? In the alternate Universe, someone needs to ask about Sybok and be told that he had a piano dropped on his head. I hate to admit it, but I loved the Klingons, because they were so stupid. The captain had the huge metal-band like hair.

Chinese Romulans, rubber faced Klingons, Grandma Uhura shaking her moneymaker, and Kirk, Bones and Spock acting all gay with each other.

Nemesis is the Star Trek V of the TNG series of films. Nemesis was so bad that Patrick Stewart was embarrassed of it. I would like to see it again, but remember being disappointed with it watching it the first time.
Your loss. I love the movie and can find a lot of wonderful moments to enjoy.

J.
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2009, 07:26 PM   #3
Penhall99
Lieutenant Commander

You started an entire thread just to bash Star Trek V?

Anyway, I disagree with everything you said. I like Star Trek V, always have and always will.
Old May 18 2009, 07:34 PM   #4
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

I like this movie, but less for what it is and more for what it could be - I've always considered it something of a near-miss. It has loads of potential, and lots of good moments, especially for Kirk, Spock and McCoy. But it's bogged down by some really awful humor, insufficient effects work and a weak climax. The story behind the making of this film is fascinating, with all kinds of budgetary issues, an inexperienced director, studio interference and even wardrobe thefts.
Old May 18 2009, 10:55 PM   #5
Joker
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Joker

I love informative thread titles.
Old May 19 2009, 12:21 AM   #6
All Seeing Eye
Admiral

I thoroughly enjoyed it.
All Seeing Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2009, 12:31 AM   #7
dave_R_treker
Captain

I wouldn't say it was an awful movie. But it wasn't a great one either. It had the potential to be a great trek movie.
dave_R_treker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2009, 01:06 AM   #8
Kirk1980
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to Kirk1980 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kirk1980 Send a message via Yahoo to Kirk1980

Brotherly love is gay?

These men have no families beyond each other. I see nothing 'gay' whatsoever about it.

Star Trek V really gets an unfair reputation and I'd daresay people who get off on bashing it are 'gay' in the same meaning as you seem to lend it.

Let's see what's out there...
Kirk1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2009, 01:19 AM   #9
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

wow, thanks for that insightful review. must have took a lot of thought to say that you thought the characters were gay and you hated the movie.
Old May 19 2009, 01:19 AM   #10
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

wow, thanks for that insightful review. must have took a lot of thought to say that you thought the characters were gay and you hated the movie.
Old May 19 2009, 01:26 AM   #11
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Howdy!

Mr. Scott, I'm only accepting this review at face value from you because at some point, you hit your head on a beam and apparently injured yourself.

Suffice to say, I disagree with nearly every statement you make (geez, everybody thinks the rom ambassador is awful), and I love STAR TREK V, warts & all.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2009, 06:44 AM   #12
Bones
Commodore

trevanian wrote: View Post
Howdy!

Mr. Scott, I'm only accepting this review at face value from you because at some point, you hit your head on a beam and apparently injured yourself.
Quite possibly one of the best thread replies I've ever read.

I've not seen Star Trek V for a very long time. It'll probably be the first one I watch when my DVD box set arrives. From what I've read, it has some interesting concepts, and the score is lovely.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2009, 07:27 AM   #13
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

I will agree with the point that Star Trek V is a flawed film, that could have been better had some decisions been made differently with the production. Those issues have been discussed in a couple dozen other threads, so take your pick.
That said, I personally liked it, flaws and all.
I also found it an extremely relevant film socially, in how it deals with such issues as the dangers of blindly following a religion - or other leader, and what happens when one can be so blinded by his own ambition, to the exclusion of all else. (A theme that was later handled, but overlooked by many in Generations.)

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2009, 04:18 PM   #14
Argus Skyhawk
Commodore

Penhall99 wrote: View Post
Why not? There have been plenty of threads devoted to bashing Nemesis.
Old May 19 2009, 07:14 PM   #15
Penhall99
Lieutenant Commander

Argus Skyhawk wrote: View Post
Penhall99 wrote: View Post
Why not? There have been plenty of threads devoted to bashing Nemesis.
Another Trek movie that I enjoyed....