Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant

Saldana: Balancing Work And Motherhood

Cumberbatch In Wax
By: T'Bonz on Oct 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old May 24 2009, 04:22 AM   #31
THE Robert Maxwell
Reports of my death...

View THE Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to THE Robert Maxwell
Re: Failed reboots/remakes?

Other than Texas Chainsaw Massacre, have any of the recent horror remakes been successful? I'm thinking of Halloween and didn't they also remake Friday the 13th? Total failures, as far as I'm aware. Why people keep letting Rob Zombie near movie sets is beyond me.
Old May 24 2009, 11:55 PM   #32
dru
Fleet Captain

Lyon_Wonder wrote: View Post
We all know nuBSG and Abrams Trek are successful reboots. But what reboots/remakes are major disappointments, both television and movies?
nuBSG and Abrams Trek. Because what you "know" wrong.
Old May 25 2009, 12:20 AM   #33
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Other than Texas Chainsaw Massacre, have any of the recent horror remakes been successful? I'm thinking of Halloween and didn't they also remake Friday the 13th? Total failures, as far as I'm aware. Why people keep letting Rob Zombie near movie sets is beyond me.
The remakes of Halloween and Friday the 13th were both very successful. They made $79.1 million and $90.1 million worldwide on production budgets of $15 million and $19 million respectively. They were both very front-loaded in their box office, but most horror films are.
Old May 25 2009, 12:40 AM   #34
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

^Yes, and both are getting sequels, I believe. H2, the sequel to Zombie's Halloween remake, comes out this August.
Old May 25 2009, 02:08 AM   #35
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

miraclefan wrote: View Post
Was the Tim Burton remake of Planet of the apes a disaster? they never made a sequal. (not even to the Direct to DVD market)
Commercially it was a substantial hit, making $362 million worldwide on a $100 million production budget, but the studio obviously felt that a sequel would likely make far less. They have another Apes film in development titled Genesis: Apes, which will either reboot the franchise again or act as a prequel.

The Emmerich/Devlin version of Godzilla is in the same boat. It didn't make as much money as expected (especially domestically), but it had a very successful return on its $130 million production budget, making $379 million worldwide. But it was obviously felt that a sequel would see a dramatic decline in box office and so one wasn't pursued.
Old May 25 2009, 02:08 AM   #36
Dream
Admiral

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
The remakes of Halloween and Friday the 13th were both very successful. They made $79.1 million and $90.1 million worldwide on production budgets of $15 million and $19 million respectively. They were both very front-loaded in their box office, but most horror films are.
Indeed. I won't be surprised when the sequels do well. These slasher movies take almost zero effort to do. Bloody death scenes with idiots teenagers and hot naked chicks.

I enjoyed the F13 remake. It was a guilty pleasure. Plan to see Halloween remake eventually.

Last edited by Dream; May 25 2009 at 05:04 AM.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2009, 08:24 AM   #37
Jax
Admiral

MeanJoePhaser wrote: View Post
clint g wrote: View Post
Dragnet...hmm this game is sort of fun
I was gonna say the movie Dragnet was a sequel...but I forgot Ed O'Neil's version.
1st season was good but what did they do with season 2...LA DRAGNET
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2009, 12:30 PM   #38
DarKush
Rear Admiral

I disagree. Both Halloween and Friday the 13th did well at the box office. H2, the Halloween sequel is coming out later in the summer, August 28 I believe.

Would Peter Jackson's King Kong be considered a failed remake?
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2009, 05:07 PM   #39
Messianni
Commodore

View Messianni's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Messianni Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Messianni

Tharpdevenport wrote: View Post
Two failed "Red Dwarf" American pilots.
Yes, yes and yes! Ugh, those were utterly horrid.

DarKush wrote: View Post
Would Peter Jackson's King Kong be considered a failed remake?
It made $550 mil. worldwide but I think, having been Jackson's project after LOTR, it may have come in below expectations.
Old May 25 2009, 05:30 PM   #40
ToddPence
Fleet Captain

1993's blink-and-you-missed-it remake/sequel of Route 66. Starred some Melrose Place castoff and some MTV castoff. Cool Warren Zevon theme song though.
ToddPence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2009, 10:42 PM   #41
shivkala
Rear Admiral

Since none of the movies were good (from what I hear), can we count Punisher? Not only were they failed reboots/remakes, but the original movie was a failure as well!
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2009, 11:38 PM   #42
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Enterprise. It was a failed remake of Voyager.
RandyS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2009, 12:38 AM   #43
SummerDream
Lieutenant

RandyS wrote: View Post
Enterprise. It was a failed remake of Voyager.
Voyager was dull, Enterprise was not.
Not failed.
SummerDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2009, 11:44 AM   #44
jamestyler
Commodore

View jamestyler's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to jamestyler

Messianni wrote: View Post
Tharpdevenport wrote: View Post
Two failed "Red Dwarf" American pilots.
Yes, yes and yes! Ugh, those were utterly horrid.
Though the American Lister might not have been bad if the script was much, much better.

Any Brits see the Minder remake? Bad writing + Bad casting = even my mum turning it off. And she watches Coronation Street.
Old May 26 2009, 02:44 PM   #45
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ You could also include the last few seasons of the original Minder, in which Terry/ Dennis Waterman was replaced by Arthur's nephew, whose name I can't even remember (character or actor). The Arthur of the original series, who could be a bit of a bastard to Terry, suddenly morphed into this lovable cuddly family man. I think they were trying to turn it into Only Fools and Horses, which was always an inferior series, IMHO.