Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old June 22 2009, 02:27 AM   #91
indranee
Vice Admiral

Re: "Thrusters on full" ~Spock

oh, it's no effort
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2009, 07:12 AM   #92
aristotle9
Cadet

BenRoethig wrote: View Post
It was Spock basically admiring the ability of Kirk to get the job done by throwing the rule book out the airlock and giving it few phaser blasts.
I think you all have missed the point, although often coming close.
Abrams loves easter eggs right? No coincidence that the Corvette was a '66. Indeed, I think he meant for people to be talking this line over and phrased it as a riddle, intending complicated reasoning.

Everyone knows that "Ahead 1/4 impulse" was Kirk's phrase. He used it, as already noted, at times when thrusters were the correct method. One of Spock's primary character points is that he is the rational counterpoint to Kirks 'seat of the pants' behavior. It ties into Pike saying "be carefull with the ship Spock, she's brand new." For someone to say that to Spock is humorous because he is careful by nature.

With this line, Spock is delivering the '1/4 impulse' line but in the way HE would have delivered it - the regulation based, correct way. Its like saying "...and let the adventure begin again, but this time please be careful." And indeed he gets his wish when Kirk orders thrusters and not impulse when leaving space dock.

Its complicated, and in complete keeping with Spock's character. The line is bad at first, and good when you think about it. Spock likes metaphor, but he does not like carelessness.
aristotle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2009, 07:19 AM   #93
Anticitizen
Fleet Captain

I've racked my brain to think of a better line, and the conclusion I've come to is that it would've been best if his last line had been the 'good luck' he delivered to NuSpock.
Old July 17 2009, 12:13 PM   #94
Edge of Forever
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I didn't mind the line, I loved the delivery and the meaning but it could have been better. "Thrusters on Full" was not enough really.

Just to throw it out there, Technically NimoySpocks final line wasn't that but more so:

"Space: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Her ongoing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life-forms and new civilizations; to boldly go where no one has gone... before."
Edge of Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2009, 06:18 PM   #95
MvRojo
Vice Admiral

I'm too lazy to go through the thread, but according to the Star Trek magazine, Nimoy didn't have a line in that final scene, and decided he would add that line as a way of sending the new crew on their journey. He liked how it ended up tying into Sulu's next line, which he didn't know at the time.
MvRojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2009, 06:50 PM   #96
Rackon
Commander

MvRojo wrote: View Post
I'm too lazy to go through the thread, but according to the Star Trek magazine, Nimoy didn't have a line in that final scene, and decided he would add that line as a way of sending the new crew on their journey. He liked how it ended up tying into Sulu's next line, which he didn't know at the time.
Yup - it was a Nimoy improv. No line at all over the pullback in the script, or the forst few takes - nimoy asked Abrams if he could do it one moer time with the line. Abrams liked it and used the take with the adlib in the film.

And I thought it worked great. Spock's blessing on Kirj and the NuCrew, freighted with a lifetime of memories.
Rackon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2009, 09:13 PM   #97
davejames
Vice Admiral

I liked the idea behind the line, but I think something like "Warp Speed, Mr Sulu" would have had a little more power behind it, and plus it's more of an iconic phrase.

Although obviously it wouldn't have flowed as well into the next scene...
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2009, 09:33 PM   #98
MvRojo
Vice Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
I liked the idea behind the line, but I think something like "Warp Speed, Mr Sulu" would have had a little more power behind it, and plus it's more of an iconic phrase.

Although obviously it wouldn't have flowed as well into the next scene...
Nah, that's too specific to one character. I think it was better the way it was.
MvRojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2009, 09:40 PM   #99
DaveyNY
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to DaveyNY Send a message via Yahoo to DaveyNY

How about... "Warp speed..., (dramatic pause) My Friends..."

I think if Spock had said softly..., "May the wind always be at your back..." it would have been a great reference to Kirk's love of sailing through the stars and the whole Horatio Hornblower thing.
I must go out in2 space again for the call of adventure cries. With a steady hand & robust crew I'll take her forth with pride. I must go out in2 space again to a vagabond Captains life. Where comets play & galaxies sway like whirlwinds in the night.
DaveyNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2009, 11:58 PM   #100
trampledamage
Clone

MvRojo wrote: View Post
That's cool - I didn't know that.

And he says that like it's a bad thing...
trampledamage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2009, 01:28 AM   #101
Captrek
Rear Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
I liked the intention of the line, just not the line itself. Thrusters just don't do anything for me.
That would depend on who’s doing the thrusting, wouldn’t it?
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2009, 04:50 AM   #102
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Yep, Nimoy says that he improvised the line on the set. So much for the intricately-constructed Abrams theory...
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2009, 06:48 AM   #103
LeahBoBo
Commander

Location: Dancing the Viennese Waltz on moonbeams with Legolas

elton wrote: View Post
"It didn't feel right".

"It's incredibly odd and unimaginative".

"Is this all the writers could come up with?".

Jesus Christ. It's one fucking line. It had one function: To show the passing of the torch from Spock's era to the new era. It functioned fine.
Boy! You tell 'em, elton.
LeahBoBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2009, 01:37 PM   #104
cbspock
Rear Admiral

I thought the line would be repeated by Kirk on the bridge once they cut to the Enterprise. It would have been better if he just said "Live Long and Prosper", and then the scene changes to the Enterprise.

-Chris
Old July 18 2009, 01:40 PM   #105
cbspock
Rear Admiral

daveyNY wrote: View Post
How about... "Warp speed..., (dramatic pause) My Friends..."

I think if Spock had said softly..., "May the wind always be at your back..." it would have been a great reference to Kirk's love of sailing through the stars and the whole Horatio Hornblower thing.
or, "All I ask, is a tall ship and a star to steer her by". Another poem Kirk quoted a couple of times.

-Chris