Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old May 23 2009, 08:26 PM   #31
apenpaap
Commodore

Re: Rating all the films....

NOTE: I rate from 0 to 10, where 0 is the crappiest thing ever, 5 is not good, not bad, and 10 is pure awesomeness (Also called Robau level).

The Motion Picture: 3

I really don't like this movie. It's WAY too slow. It contains huge parts that are just fillers, to extend it from episode length to movie length. Also, it's story is much like these crappy TOS season 3 episodes.

The Wrath of Khan: 8

Awesome movie. Obviously, Khan is the main reason for this awesomeness. A very good story, which has unfortunatly been tried to copy in some of the others to less success.

The Search for Spock: 7-

Pretty cool. Doesn't have TWOK's epicness, but still OK. Also, it introduces one of my favourite ship classes: the Excelsior. The actress playing Saavik was also much better then the one in TWOK.

The Voyage Home: 8+

Very, very funny movie, which is also a nice way of showing how weird our culture really is. My favourite TOS movie.

The Final Frontier: 2+

Very crappy story and stuff, though some good character moments save it from complete crappiness. I believe, btw, that all of the story was just a dream of Kirk he had while camping with Spock and Bones.

The Undiscovered Country: 8+

A great sendoff for the TOS crew. A compelling detective story for most part. Chang is the best movie villain (apart from Khan).

Generations: 9

Despite it's rather large plotholes, this is my favourite movie. Until they leave the nexus and have that stupid fistfight on the dessert planet, I absolutly love it.

First Contact: 9

The second-best trek movie, IMO. The Borg were very cool and scary, the music was wonderful, first contact very moving. I love the Borg Queen in this movie and Dark Frontier, but she was annoying in Unimatrix Zero (Apart from the moment when she yelled "JANEWAY!!!") and Endgame.

Insurrection: 6

A decent movie, imo. A good lovestory with Picard, and a good moral lesson. The boobjoke makes it lose a full point, though.

Nemesis: 1

URGH

XI: 7+

Good movie. Though I hate the alternate timeline idea, I understand that it's nessecary to keep the tension. New Spock, McCoy, Sulu, Chekov, Scotty and Pike were done very well, but Uhura and Kirk were not so great. (But then again I never really liked Kirk)
Old May 23 2009, 09:22 PM   #32
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

Star Trek: The Motion Picture ***
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan *****
Star Trek III: The Search for Spock ***1/2
The Voyage Home: Star Trek IV ****
Star Trek V: The Final Frontier *1/2
Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country ****1/2

Star Trek Generations **
Star Trek First Contact ****
Star Trek Insurrection **1/2
Star Trek Nemesis ***

Star Trek (2009) **
Old May 24 2009, 07:12 PM   #33
Admiral Dout
Cadet

The Motion Picture C+
it was nice to see the old crew back

The Wrath Of Khan A
i belive the best movie over all. has the deepest meaning and how great the bond between kirk and spock really was. no other trek movie that will be made i think will ever come within a billion lightyears as this star trek movie was and still is.

The Search For Spock A-
very very good movie in my top three star trek movies of all time

The Voyage Home B-
i thought a good story and a good use of time travel

The Final Frontier C-
good story line just thought that it had alot of slow parts in the movie and was hard to keep watching during the parts

The Undiscovered Country C-
wish it wasent the final movie with the old crew, but just didnt like the movie it didnt feel right i thought

Generations C-
it was ok till kirk died infron of picard insted of scotty or any of his other crew members

First Contact C+
good story line just i thought a little to out there for star trek but good acting and great effects

Insurrection B-
was a good story line, thought it was the best from the new generation crew

Nemesis F-
they could of came up with a beter story line

Star Trek B-
very good movie i just dont like how there going to change the whole series and or story lines with the new outcome, but maybe thats how it was from the begining huh maybe lol
Admiral Dout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2009, 10:26 PM   #34
VulKhan
Lieutenant

The Motion Picture
C+ ~ it's a good film, great to see all the familiar faces back on the familiar ship, but I think towards the end it gets a little, well, "boring" is the wrong word here.....it gets a little "long", you know.

The Wrath Of Khan
A+++++++ ~ !! My absolute favourite film!! It's gorgeous, I love the story, I love the action, I love the dialogues and Khan saying all those threating stuff. I love Khan, he's the most personable villain ever, very chaming in a way. I find him very handsome, too. hehe.... And the end of th film is so emotional! When I was a little kid I used to always burst out into tears, it's so sad.

The Search For Spock
B- ~ it's nicely directed and there's some Klingon action, too, but there's still something that disturbs me about this film. Don't exactly know yet what it is, though, and probably will never find out. I hate to see the original Enterprise exploding!!!!

The Voyage Home
A-- ~ This one's my third favourite. I find it quite funny and amusing to watch and, well, saving the whales/saving the planet, what else to say. *lol* I just hate this ugly Klingon ship, though, so it's "only" an A--.

The Final Frontier
C to D ~ Well,.......alright. Let's say it's "different." The Kirk, Spock, McCoy parts are lovely.

The Undiscovered Country
A ~ My second favourite. Finally some proper Klingon battling between Kirk and Chang etc. I like that there are lots of different characters involved this time, I love the Klingons coming over for dinner on the Enterprise. So blue and disgusting. *lol* I like the action and this strong bonding showing between Spock, Kirk and McCoy and the end is good! Great effects, too!

Generations
C+ ~ Kirk's final, and I hate that!

First Contact
C- ~ No more original enterprise crew members. I don't like that.

Insurrection
C++ ~ Probably the best out of all films with the new crew.

Nemesis ´
D ~ I don't no. Not my cup of tea.

Star Trek
A ~ Love it!!!! Great new actors, cool special effects, great action! I want to see more soon!

Last edited by VulKhan; May 24 2009 at 10:50 PM.
VulKhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2009, 11:09 PM   #35
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Oh no I have to convert!!

Star Trek: The Motion Picture-B-:

The rating is for the DE only. STNG TV show did a better version of this movie: "Tin Man"

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan-A:

The best movie for 27 years until 2009! Themes about aging, family, new life-hope, with a good dose of action. Still contains SF's best battle scene.

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock-B-:

Underrated. Somewhat cheap looking but with many of the series best character moments...genuine ones, unlike the disaster of STV.

The Voyage Home: Star Trek IV-B+:

Pure joy, still possibly my best time with an audience at a theater. Some of the wittiest dialogue of the series. Slightly bigger scale than most of the previous efforts.

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier-F-:

I've talked at length about this movie so I won't bother. Luckily, STNG saved the franchise in 1989..."Q,Who" came out around this time.

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country-C+:

Good intentions, somewhat hammer-fisted. Some good moments but overly ambitious. It fails to be an epic finale for the TOS movie adventures. Lacks scope. Filmed in Super35...ugh!

Star Trek Generations-C-:

More plot holes than any other ST movie. Not a great start to the STNG movie series.

Star Trek First Contact-A-:

Imperfect and convoluted but enjoyable movie. Fine acting, and STNG's best film. ST Voyager actually produced a better Borg story in Scorpion I and II. I would have rather seen that on the big screen.

Star Trek Insurrection-C-:

Not a bad film, just not very energetic or interesting.

Star Trek Nemesis-B-:

Now that was more like it. The most cinematic ST movie since STTMP! Oh sure, its not a great movie, but there's a lot going on and it finally felt like the STNG cast acclimated to action-adventure 100%.

Star Trek (2009) A+:

YES! A home run, a bullseye, direct hit!! A smashing blockbuster success! The most cinematic, the most dense, most energetic, fully realized, rich, fun, rousing, professionally made MOVIE of all of ST. Rewatchable with almost every sequence creating a lasting impression. The best "teaser", best beginning credit sequences, the best Special FX, the best sound, best ending credits!

Old June 4 2009, 11:37 PM   #36
Jolantru
Lieutenant Commander

ST:TMP - B- Visually the film looks fantastic. I even don't mind the slow pacing, because it's beautiful in a way that 2001:A Space Oddessey is beautiful.

STII:TWOK - B+ Best of the original timeline movies. Not quite A material because much of the beginning of the film was cheaply made with rehashed special effects from TPM

STIII:TSFS - B- Character wise this is almost as deep as TWOK. Great interaction between the cast. The only downfall is Christopher Lloyd's over the top performance as Kruge.

STIV:TVH - C Poor resolution to a great setup from II and III.

STV:TFF - D+ There's a good story in there somewhere, but it's nowhere to be found with what they put on screen.

STVI:TUC - C+ Christopher Plummer is the most interesting Klingon I've seen in any of the series. To bad they gave him such a bit part. The rest of the movie is not focused on character, but on the events of Star Trek lore that only the most ardent trekkies find fascinating, like who Worf's grandfather is.

ST:Gen - D- Pure marketing to rush out a movie on the heels of ending TNG series. Even Marini Sirtis said that it was a poor decision.

ST:FC - B- The best of the TNG movies, or I should say the only one worth watching. Still filled with rediculous self indulgent moments like cameo's of hollographic doctors, and everyone's least favorite hypocondriac anti social engineer Barklay.

ST:Insurrection - F A movie about a battle between the fountain of youth people vs. people addicted to plastic surgury. WTF?

ST:Nemesis - D- One of the worst remakes of TWOK, that wasn't even supposed to be a remake, but ended up being one anyway.

Star Trek: A- Finally everything you ever wanted out of a Trek film. Good story, good special effects, and edge of your seat excitement.

Last edited by Jolantru; June 4 2009 at 11:49 PM.
Jolantru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2009, 03:55 AM   #37
Gary Sebben
Lieutenant Commander

The Motion Picture: B- I actually like the pace. SFX are better than modern CG. Sets are lifeless, though, and Kirk is a whiny prick.

The Wrath of Khan: C Extremely quotable and fun, but full of plot holes. Don't like Kirk's instant family. Too campy. Again, Kirk is unable to save the day. Other's have to do his job for him.

The Search for Spock: B Good drama, good FX, great characters. Robin Curtis keeps it from an A.

The Voyage Home: B Again, fun. But sometimes more silly than funny. Probe has no purpose other than to create drama that wasn't needed.

The Final Frontier: D Bad acting and dialog. Good premise regarding the cult leader and Spock's background. Lousy FX. Klingon's thrown in for no apparent reason.

The Undiscovered Country: A Great story, great space battles. Great bad guys. Funny only when it needs to be. Alien prison = awesome. Wonderful send off.

Generations: C- The best FX of any Trek movie. Stupid plot. Nexus stinks. Kirk dies, the E-D is defeated because they can only shoot at an enemy who has a single shot weakness.

First Contact: F There's no curve on this one. They ruined the Borg. Tons of plot holes. Picard deals with demons he put to rest TWICE. Just a terrible movie.

Insurrection: D I only saw this once and in the theater. Didn't like it. That's all I remember.

Nemesis: F Also saw it only once, but can still remember the enormous suckitude. A Picard Clone that's bald from birth? Mind sex with Troi again? B4? Everyone looks bored.

Star Trek 2009: B- Action packed. Best Spock moments of any film. All the other characters were spot on. Kirk was a bit of a frat boy and the plot was pointless. But a good start.
Gary Sebben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2009, 04:34 AM   #38
ParLawGod
Lieutenant Junior Grade

The Motion Picture
C-

The Wrath Of Khan
A

The Search For Spock
B

The Voyage Home
A

The Final Frontier
C+

The Undiscovered Country
A

Generations
A-

First Contact
A-

Insurrection
B-

Nemesis
A

Star Trek
B
Old June 5 2009, 06:33 AM   #39
Tom Servo
Commodore

Star Trek: The Motion Picture- B-: While it's enjoyable to watch, and seeing the great effects work done on it is worth the watch, damn it's a slow film. It has good portions to it though.

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: A: A classic, thats all that needs to be said.

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock: B: A solid film, with some fine effects work, and if has one of my favorite Star Trek scenes ever, the stealing of the Enterprise. However, I still cannot get over the horrible sets that represent the Genesis planet.

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home: B+: A fun romp of a film. It's light hearted, but has some great humor.

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier: C: While I don't hate it as much as most, it has A LOT of problems. However, I think it captures the trio of Spock, McCoy, and Kirk the best out of the TOS films.

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country: A-: I really like Nick Meyer style Trek. A nice send off to the crew, and it had some very interesting set pieces and action sequences. Not to mention my favorite Trek score.

Star Trek: Generations: B-: Has some very good moments in it, but it has the issue of feeling like a blown up TV episode. It also has some logic gaps and other issues, namely a D-12 Class BOP taking down a Galaxy Class starship.

Star Trek: First Contact: A: My favorite Trek film pre STXI. While it is an action adventure based film, I think that Trek films need to lean in that direction more, and leave the slower paced, but thought provoking episodes to the TV shows. It's well directed by Jonathan Franks, and has a very nice score, and some incredible VFX work. I also really liked James Cromwell as Cochrane, and seeing a little of 21st Century Earth.

Star Trek Insurrection: C: It also suffers the problem of being a glorified TV episode, and has some stupid humor. But it's watchable.

Star Trek: Nemesis: Some good VFX work (one of my teachers did some compositing work on the film, so I will give her props), however the story is eh, and Tom Hardy is kinda lame in it.

Star Trek: A: Not a perfect film, and has a few logic issues, though not as many as some try to make out, but damn was this a fine film. Very well acted, with humor, excellent VFX, and a strong story. This is the film that restarted Trek, and I am thankful that Paramount and JJ Abrams but such hard work into it.

Member of Red Sox Nation
Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2009, 08:02 AM   #40
Newski
Captain

Send a message via AIM to Newski

I will only do Star Ratings.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture- 1 Star. It's 2 hours plus of sitting. And occasionally some bright flashy lights.

Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan- 4 Stars. It's the best. It's the best scripted, acted, directed...

Star Trek 3: The Search for Spock- 2 and a half Stars. Is it bad? No. The problem is, it's not good either. Watchable, with some great moments. And a few bad ideas thrown into the mix.

Star Trek 4: The Voyage Home- 4 Stars. The original series had more than it's fair share of humor-based episodes. So why not a humor based movie? It's preposterous, but it's well crafted, likeable, and not a bad scene in the film.

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier- 1 and half, but 4 when Drunk. This is one of those great "So Bad it's good" films. Except just a tad worse. It's worthwhile once or twice in the same way "Deathbed: The Bed That Eats" is... I take that back. Deathbed is better.

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country- 3 Stars. It's a few scenes away (or too many) from being a masterpiece. It's still a solid scifi adventure flick.

Star Trek Generations- 3 and a Half. I like this movie alot. The timing, the effects, the cast.... And we've got our greatest Villain since "Khan". Could it be better? Yes. But I wouldn't risk any changes.

Star Trek: First Contact- 3 Stars. A neat little action flick. Like most movies, has a few things to groan over, but by the end I was pretty satisfied. Besides, James Cromwell. Love the guy in anything. Follow a movie with Malcom McDowell with Cromwell? I'm a happy fucking guy!

Star Trek: Insurrection- 2 Stars. Not even can F Murray Abraham can save this. Some funny moments, it's watchable, but when you've had so many great films in the series, forget it.

Star Trek: Nemesis- 2 and a half Better Action sequences the last two films, but a muddled story that was pieced together from many bad ideas. I still recommend this movie. Why? I really don't know. I guess I just have a soft spot for this film....

Star Trek XI- 3 and a half. A great punctuation for the series. Unfortunately, it's not the grand finale that it feels like it should be, with a new movie already in talks. Has the sense of awe and wonder that I've waited for all my life in a Trek Film (of course, I'm 23 and therefore didn't catch many of the films in theaters).
Newski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2009, 04:26 AM   #41
cybersoldier
Commander

The Motion Picture B
The Wrath Of Khan C+
The Search For Spock C-
The Voyage Home C+
The Final Frontier D-
The Undiscovered Country A
Generations A-
First Contact A+
Insurrection B-
Nemesis A-
Star Trek A-
cybersoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2009, 05:28 AM   #42
Balrog
Commodore

I think of Trek movies in catagories:

Good films overall:

TWOK, TSFS, TVH, ST09

Films that miss in some areas, but have great Trek moments that make them endearing:

TMP, TFF, TUC, GEN, FC

And just plain bad Trek films:

INS, NEM

If I were to grade them:

TMP - B+
TWOK - A
TSFS - A
TVH - A-
TFF - B
TUC - B+
GEN - B-
FC - B+