RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,367
Posts: 5,503,814
Members: 25,124
Currently online: 486
Newest member: traedoril

TrekToday headlines

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 16 2009, 01:43 PM   #1
MrPointy
Commander
 
MrPointy's Avatar
 
Location: Darwin, NT
When can we expect USS Kelvin novels?

Yeah, I know there's a lot of other Trek to go through and plenty of other stories to write, but you can't ignore the people's need for more Robau and George Kirk.
__________________
“If like the leaf of the wisteria through which the sun darts his rays transparently you give your heart to me, I will no longer distrust you.” -- Lieutenant Worf
MrPointy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2009, 01:53 PM   #2
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral
 
Dimesdan's Avatar
 
Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan
Re: When can we expect USS Kelvin novels?

MrPointy wrote: View Post
Yeah, I know there's a lot of other Trek to go through and plenty of other stories to write, but you can't ignore the people's need for more Robau and George Kirk.
Well I for one can live with out stories set aboard the Kelvin.
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2009, 02:03 PM   #3
Dancing Doctor
Admiral
 
Dancing Doctor's Avatar
 
Location: At the Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound
View Dancing Doctor's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dancing Doctor
Re: When can we expect USS Kelvin novels?

Primeverse or Abramsverse U.S.S Kelvin?

"The people's need" for more Robau and George Kirk? lol
__________________
‎"Captain, we are being hailed. That is, if you don't mind...if it isn't too intrusive."

Loyal member of the Militant Janeway True Path Devotees
Dancing Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2009, 02:15 PM   #4
Claudia
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Sector 001
Re: When can we expect USS Kelvin novels?

I wouldn't be opposed to such a series... if I got the fascination people have with Robau. What's so special about him? He did what every decent captain would do. I thought Pike's decision to go over to the Narada was even more courageous - because he knew what happened to the Kelvin and to Robau - and went over anyway to try and buy some time.

Valeris wrote: View Post
Primeverse or Abramsverse U.S.S Kelvin?
Why make the distinction? The universes split up right at the moment Nero arrives and the Kelvin gets destroyed. Therefore any adventures featuring the Kelvin, Robau and G. Kirk would have to take place prior to that split... and therefore in both universes (unless you want to split them up even further).
__________________
"You're my superior officer. You are also my friend. I have been and always shall be yours." (Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan)
http://nicky2910.booklikes.com - updated 12/11/14: Foul Deeds Will Rise by Greg Cox, 4/10
Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2009, 03:39 PM   #5
Csalem
Commodore
 
Csalem's Avatar
 
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Re: When can we expect USS Kelvin novels?

I'm wondering when the first refernces from the movie will appear in a novel - maybe a throwaway comment about Robau in Vanguard, or Nero in TNG.
__________________
Csalem
Csalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2009, 03:56 PM   #6
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: When can we expect USS Kelvin novels?

Claudia wrote: View Post
Valeris wrote: View Post
Primeverse or Abramsverse U.S.S Kelvin?
Why make the distinction? The universes split up right at the moment Nero arrives and the Kelvin gets destroyed. Therefore any adventures featuring the Kelvin, Robau and G. Kirk would have to take place prior to that split... and therefore in both universes (unless you want to split them up even further).
Well, yes and no. Any Kelvin stories set before 2233 would be in the shared antecedent of both timelines, so the distinction would be meaningless. But we know that in the Prime timeline, the Kelvin was not destroyed at that point and George Kirk survived for another 30 years or more beyond that. So there could be Prime-universe Kelvin adventures set after 2233, or we could see appearances by older versions of Robau or other Kelvin crewmembers in Prime-universe fiction (say, maybe an aging Admiral Robau could show up in a Vanguard or TOS novel).

Still, my preference would be to set any Kelvin stories pre-2233, at least initially, so they can mesh with either timeline and avoid the prickly temporal issues. Or technically they'd be in the Prime timeline, but they could be marketed with a movie-style title font and imagery.


Csalem wrote: View Post
I'm wondering when the first refernces from the movie will appear in a novel - maybe a throwaway comment about Robau in Vanguard, or Nero in TNG.
TNG is only in 2381 at this point, six years before the film's flashforward, and Nero is just a lowly mining captain at this point. I think it makes sense for him to remain obscure and unknown to Starfleet at this point.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 11/16/14 including annotations for "The Caress of a Butterfly's Wing" and overview for DTI: The Collectors

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2009, 04:30 PM   #7
Claudia
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Sector 001
Re: When can we expect USS Kelvin novels?

Christopher wrote: View Post
But we know that in the Prime timeline, the Kelvin was not destroyed at that point and George Kirk survived for another 30 years or more beyond that. So there could be Prime-universe Kelvin adventures set after 2233, or we could see appearances by older versions of Robau or other Kelvin crewmembers in Prime-universe fiction (say, maybe an aging Admiral Robau could show up in a Vanguard or TOS novel).
Yes, you're right - I haven't thought about such stories after 2233.

But then again, isn't the fascination of Robau the way he handled himself in Nero's attack? Taking that away because the attack never happens would just turn him into another average captain. Therefore, if there was no need so far to tell the stories of Kirk's father and the Kelvin Prime-Trek - why should that need now arise in Prime Trek?
__________________
"You're my superior officer. You are also my friend. I have been and always shall be yours." (Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan)
http://nicky2910.booklikes.com - updated 12/11/14: Foul Deeds Will Rise by Greg Cox, 4/10
Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2009, 04:44 PM   #8
MrPointy
Commander
 
MrPointy's Avatar
 
Location: Darwin, NT
Re: When can we expect USS Kelvin novels?

^
How we face death is at least as important as how we face life.
__________________
“If like the leaf of the wisteria through which the sun darts his rays transparently you give your heart to me, I will no longer distrust you.” -- Lieutenant Worf
MrPointy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2009, 04:57 PM   #9
Claudia
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Sector 001
Re: When can we expect USS Kelvin novels?

MrPointy wrote: View Post
How we face death is at least as important as how we face life.
Your point being?

As we've already seen Robau face death, now we should see him face life? Not that it couldn't be interesting but somehow I don't see much suspense in that...
__________________
"You're my superior officer. You are also my friend. I have been and always shall be yours." (Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan)
http://nicky2910.booklikes.com - updated 12/11/14: Foul Deeds Will Rise by Greg Cox, 4/10
Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2009, 05:42 PM   #10
Sci
Admiral
 
Sci's Avatar
 
Location: "Don't blame me--I voted for Jaresh-Inyo!"
Re: When can we expect USS Kelvin novels?

Claudia wrote: View Post
But then again, isn't the fascination of Robau the way he handled himself in Nero's attack? Taking that away because the attack never happens would just turn him into another average captain. Therefore, if there was no need so far to tell the stories of Kirk's father and the Kelvin Prime-Trek - why should that need now arise in Prime Trek?
Not necessarily. I can see why such stories might not interest you, but that doesn't mean they might not interest other people. Folks are interested in Captain Robau because of the actor's charisma, mostly -- and that's fine. People are interested in characters like Sulu, who never had much of a personality written into him and whose real personality had to come from George Takei, for the same reason.

It can be a fine jumping-off point to tell stories about an amazing captain we've never met before.
__________________
"Every line of serious work that I have written since 1936 has been written, directly or indirectly, against totalitarianism and for democratic Socialism, as I understand it." - George Orwell, 1946
Sci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2009, 06:22 PM   #11
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: When can we expect USS Kelvin novels?

Claudia wrote: View Post
But then again, isn't the fascination of Robau the way he handled himself in Nero's attack? Taking that away because the attack never happens would just turn him into another average captain. Therefore, if there was no need so far to tell the stories of Kirk's father and the Kelvin Prime-Trek - why should that need now arise in Prime Trek?
If Trek fiction were driven by need, there wouldn't be much of it. Was there any need for SCE to make central characters out of bit players like Gomez, Duffy, and Stevens? Or for Gorkon/Klingon Empire to do the same with various minor Klingon characters? Or for the DS9 post-finale novels to revisit forgotten first-season ideas like the Tosk and the Storyteller's Orb fragment? Trek fans and authors have always been intrigued by the incidental details and minor characters of the Trek universe. Heck, the guy who played the welder in the teaser trailer has become a minor celebrity and is guaranteed a lifetime of convention invitations as a result of that tiny role.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 11/16/14 including annotations for "The Caress of a Butterfly's Wing" and overview for DTI: The Collectors

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2009, 06:34 PM   #12
Claudia
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Sector 001
Re: When can we expect USS Kelvin novels?

Sci wrote: View Post
Not necessarily. I can see why such stories might not interest you, but that doesn't mean they might not interest other people.
And I repeat myself (albeit to you now): Your point being? That I just should shut up because a captain Robau-series perhaps wouldn't interest me (and let me emphasize the "perhaps" because I do see a possibility for good stories, but not necessarily the need for another spin-off TrekLit series given the many we already have)? Has it come so far that opposing opinions are no longer welcome here?!?

That I don't understand the fascination with Robau doesn't mean I don't accept other people's opinions or interests. Well, apparently, that acceptance doesn't run in the other direction.

So much for IDIC, I'd say.
__________________
"You're my superior officer. You are also my friend. I have been and always shall be yours." (Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan)
http://nicky2910.booklikes.com - updated 12/11/14: Foul Deeds Will Rise by Greg Cox, 4/10
Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2009, 06:46 PM   #13
Sci
Admiral
 
Sci's Avatar
 
Location: "Don't blame me--I voted for Jaresh-Inyo!"
Re: When can we expect USS Kelvin novels?

Claudia wrote: View Post
Sci wrote: View Post
Not necessarily. I can see why such stories might not interest you, but that doesn't mean they might not interest other people.
And I repeat myself (albeit to you now): Your point being? That I just should shut up because a captain Robau-series perhaps wouldn't interest me (and let me emphasize the "perhaps" because I do see a possibility for good stories, but not necessarily the need for another spin-off TrekLit series given the many we already have)? Has it come so far that opposing opinions are no longer welcome here?!?
I never said you should shut up or anything of the sort. I just said that something that doesn't interest you might interest somebody else.

I don't think that you're intending for it to come across this way, Claudia, but in all honesty, your statements are the ones that feel to me like you're trying to tell other people what kinds of stories they should or should not feel interested in and to tell the authors what kinds of stories they should or should not write.

Now, I'm sure you don't mean that, just as I didn't mean to sound like I was suppressing you. I apologize if that's how I came across. But I think this nicely illustrates a point:

Sometimes, neither side is in any way trying to be rude to the other, but it can feel that way to both sides.

Bottom line:

Some folks are interested in Captain Robau stories. Others aren't. Some will buy them. Some won't. Some authors might want to write them. Others won't.

And we all get to go home happy.
__________________
"Every line of serious work that I have written since 1936 has been written, directly or indirectly, against totalitarianism and for democratic Socialism, as I understand it." - George Orwell, 1946
Sci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2009, 06:58 PM   #14
Claudia
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Sector 001
Re: When can we expect USS Kelvin novels?

Christopher wrote: View Post
If Trek fiction were driven by need, there wouldn't be much of it. Was there any need for SCE to make central characters out of bit players like Gomez, Duffy, and Stevens? Or for Gorkon/Klingon Empire to do the same with various minor Klingon characters? Or for the DS9 post-finale novels to revisit forgotten first-season ideas like the Tosk and the Storyteller's Orb fragment? Trek fans and authors have always been intrigued by the incidental details and minor characters of the Trek universe.
I'm not quite sure why you're turning my remark into some sort of metaphysical discussion about TrekLit.

But honestly, now that you've asked: No, I don't see the need to turn everything into some kind of sub-series or have every little topic reoccur at some point. Granted, it's a nice injoke but not necessary IMO.

As well, I think nowadays we have a different situation in TrekLit as when f.e. SCE first appeared. We have a large number of spin-offs already now with only 12 books per year, some series we haven't heard from in years etc. So my reasoning is to keep the number of spin-offs limited so that all can be followed up on in a reasonable amount of time (not that the next volume takes 5 years to appear on the shelves), and not risk loss of interest/sales because no one can remember what happened before.

That's what I'm arguing about - not about the tastes of the readership or what the authors should write about. Taste can't be argued about, after all.

Heck, the guy who played the welder in the teaser trailer has become a minor celebrity and is guaranteed a lifetime of convention invitations as a result of that tiny role.
Okay, can't argue about that, since I've still not seen any trailers of the movie.


Sci wrote: View Post
I don't think that you're intending for it to come across this way, Claudia, but in all honesty, your statements are the ones that feel to me like you're trying to tell other people what kinds of stories they should or should not feel interested in and to tell the authors what kinds of stories they should or should not write.
That was never my point, and I apologize as well if it came across as such. Just because I state my opinion doesn't mean that I want to enforce my opinion on anyone else - that's not the way such a board works after all, it should be an open exchange of opinions. I'm not one to accept things "just because they are as they are", if one has an opinion then I'd like to hear more about the reasoning behind it.

And honestly, an open exchange should survive the wondering question about what's so fascinating about a certain character - an answer (or at least an attempt at an answer) I'm still waiting for BTW...
__________________
"You're my superior officer. You are also my friend. I have been and always shall be yours." (Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan)
http://nicky2910.booklikes.com - updated 12/11/14: Foul Deeds Will Rise by Greg Cox, 4/10
Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2009, 07:00 PM   #15
diankra
Commodore
 
Location: UK
Re: When can we expect USS Kelvin novels?

Christopher wrote: View Post
But we know that in the Prime timeline, the Kelvin was not destroyed at that point and George Kirk survived for another 30 years or more beyond that.
About 20 years, at least according to the stuff that's been done with him in past books. I just re-checked my old copy of Final Frontier, and the last page describes how George Kirk was aboard a ship that disappeared without trace (in an obvious set-up for a sequel) just after his son Jimmy entered Starfleet Academy (so, maybe 2252ish? Final Frontier includes dates, but they're on the old pre-TNG timeline that puts everything about 60 years early).
Don't know off-hand if any other books have contradicted that since...
__________________
"Some days are better than others. They say that where I come from."
"Loudly, I imagine, on the day you left."
(Blake's 7 - Rumours of Death)
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
harold, uss kelvin

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.