Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old July 11 2009, 09:21 PM   #1
MapleJack
Ensign

Questions...

Sorry if these were answered elsewhere here but. I have to ask and mostly for fun.

First, if the Narada was taken by the Kilingons, how could it have had still been fully armed to wipe out Vulcan's defenses as well as a fleet of Starfleet ships and then still take on the Enterprise and Earth's defenses? Why didn't the Klingons strip it down for study and adapt the more advanced 24th Century technologies?

Second, Why if Vulcan's defenses were so easily overcome, to the point that Vulcan couldn't send out a signal that it was under attack, yet say that they were having extreme seismic activity? Why would Earth's defenses be such trouble after all this?

Finally, could the Narada really have taken out the Starfleet group of ships that quick and easily yet had such problems with the Kelvin? The Kelvin was 25 years earlier and yet, those ships folded like cheap deck chairs?

Again, sorry if these were addressed elsewhere here and thanks for any thoughts given here on those questions.
MapleJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2009, 09:25 PM   #2
trampledamage
Clone

Re: Questions...

MapleJack wrote: View Post

Second, Why if Vulcan's defenses were so easily overcome, to the point that Vulcan couldn't send out a signal that it was under attack, yet say that they were having extreme seismic activity? Why would Earth's defenses be such trouble after all this?
Earth is also Starfleet Headquarters - I expect they have quite a few planetary defences (Even if the fleet of starships is so small that they're all out at the Laurentian System )

Finally, could the Narada really have taken out the Starfleet group of ships that quick and easily yet had such problems with the Kelvin? The Kelvin was 25 years earlier and yet, those ships folded like cheap deck chairs?
The Kelvin came upon the Narada as it was exiting the wormhole-thingy, and Nero needed to keep the Kelvin whole so he could question the Captain. The starships that arrived around Vulcan had no such luck!

And he says that like it's a bad thing...
trampledamage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2009, 09:33 PM   #3
MapleJack
Ensign

trampledamage wrote: View Post

Earth is also Starfleet Headquarters - I expect they have quite a few planetary defences (Even if the fleet of starships is so small that they're all out at the Laurentian System )

The Kelvin came upon the Narada as it was exiting the wormhole-thingy, and Nero needed to keep the Kelvin whole so he could question the Captain. The starships that arrived around Vulcan had no such luck!
Interesting answers.

Here's a new one, you think that this will lead to a massive build up program for Starfleet? As in, it's been too small to truly deal with such events with the present number of ships and their deployments? I think if so, this could explain in this continuity, how it could reflect the massive number of ships that the Prime one has.
Old July 11 2009, 09:34 PM   #4
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

First, if the Narada was taken by the Kilingons, how could it have had still been fully armed to wipe out Vulcan's defenses as well as a fleet of Starfleet ships and then still take on the Enterprise and Earth's defenses? Why didn't the Klingons strip it down for study and adapt the more advanced 24th Century technologies?
Who said the Klingons didn't study the ship and didn't get valuable technology from it ? Maybe they have.
And maybe to acquire it they didn't have to strip it down or dissect it. Maybe they wanted it intact, armed and ready to use it once they understood its systems.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2009, 09:48 PM   #5
Daneel
Rear Admiral

Sorry if these were answered elsewhere here but. I have to ask and mostly for fun.

This is why I'm kind of glad the Klingon prison sub-plot was left out -- sure, it explains what Nero and co. were doing during those 25 years, but it creates a whole new set of questions like the ones you list above. It seems a little implausible that, even if Nero and his crew were able to escape, the Narada would be somewhere close by, still intact apparently, and easy for them to gain control of once again. It's all just a little too convenient for Nero. Maybe the cut scene dealt with these issues in a believable way, I don't know... I guess we may find out if the scene is included in the DVD.

Nero wanted to destroy every major world in the Federation. He caught Vulcan off-guard with the element of surprise, and Earth was similarly unprepared. It stands to reason, though, that after he destroys a couple of planets, Starfleet would have a clearer idea of what was happening and be able to mobilize their forces better, which may cause a bit more trouble for Nero. That, I imagine, is why he wanted the defense grid codes from Pike -- he might be able to defeat Starfleet anyway, but with that information, he'd stand a better chance of doing so.

The Narada probably suffered some system damage after coming out of the black hole/time portal, so it likely wasn't in tip-top shape when it was attacking the Kelvin. That's my theory, anyway.
Daneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2009, 09:49 PM   #6
MapleJack
Ensign

SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
Who said the Klingons didn't study the ship and didn't get valuable technology from it ? Maybe they have.
And maybe to acquire it they didn't have to strip it down or dissect it. Maybe they wanted it intact, armed and ready to use it once they understood its systems.
I'd say the report of 37 or so ships being destroyed by the Narada proves they didn't. They may well have studied it and left it intact, but in orbit of a prison world? Where the Nero and crew could reclaim it? Also, the Klingons still got wiped out, despite perhaps adopting the technologies?

I could accept that if they had captured Spock and used the Red Matter to destroy the Klingon ships, but did they? Was that in the timeline of the story?

Which also, brings up a question, how could the Enterprise have intercepted those Narada torpedoes as they did? Is it that much of a jump ahead in defense systems? True, the Narada is a mining ship and not a front line fighting ship, but still, I'm left wondering.
Old July 11 2009, 09:51 PM   #7
MapleJack
Ensign

Daneel wrote: View Post

This is why I'm kind of glad the Klingon prison sub-plot was left out -- sure, it explains what Nero and co. were doing during those 25 years, but it creates a whole new set of questions like the ones you list above. It seems a little implausible that, even if Nero and his crew were able to escape, the Narada would be somewhere close by, still intact apparently, and easy for them to gain control of once again. It's all just a little too convenient for Nero. Maybe the cut scene dealt with these issues in a believable way, I don't know... I guess we may find out if the scene is included in the DVD.

Nero wanted to destroy every major world in the Federation. He caught Vulcan off-guard with the element of surprise, and Earth was similarly unprepared. It stands to reason, though, that after he destroys a couple of planets, Starfleet would have a clearer idea of what was happening and be able to mobilize their forces better, which may cause a bit more trouble for Nero. That, I imagine, is why he wanted the defense grid codes from Pike -- he might be able to defeat Starfleet anyway, but with that information, he'd stand a better chance of doing so.

The Narada probably suffered some system damage after coming out of the black hole/time portal, so it likely wasn't in tip-top shape when it was attacking the Kelvin. That's my theory, anyway.
Good theories, I think.
Old July 11 2009, 10:11 PM   #8
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

I was thinking another scenario.

The Kelvin rams the Narada. That obviously damaged badly. Bad enough for the Klingons to be able to capture Nero and crew with no problems.

Maybe the Narada was so screwed that the Klingons didn't bother claiming it and just left it there to rot. Since as we know from the Countdown comics the Narada was a Borg-Romulan hybrid, it slowly repaired itself while Nero was in jail.

So Nero and crew escape, take over a shuttle or a prison ship , travel back to a now fully repaired Narada and then destroy the 47 Klingon ships for all they put him through.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2009, 11:02 AM   #9
Nero's Shadow
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Nero's Shadow

MY SHIP IS POWER !!!!!!! PREPARE THE RED MATTER AYEL !!!!!!! LOL
Old July 12 2009, 05:17 PM   #10
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Nero's Shadow wrote: View Post
MY SHIP IS POWER !!!!!!! PREPARE THE RED MATTER AYEL !!!!!!! LOL
Please don't spam threads intended for more serious discussion. The "all-caps and multiple exclamation points" thing is getting pretty worn-out, too (or were you looking for the "Shouting Spock" thread?)
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2009, 03:43 AM   #11
Nomad8324
Lieutenant

SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
I was thinking another scenario.

The Kelvin rams the Narada. That obviously damaged badly. Bad enough for the Klingons to be able to capture Nero and crew with no problems.

Maybe the Narada was so screwed that the Klingons didn't bother claiming it and just left it there to rot. Since as we know from the Countdown comics the Narada was a Borg-Romulan hybrid, it slowly repaired itself while Nero was in jail.

So Nero and crew escape, take over a shuttle or a prison ship , travel back to a now fully repaired Narada and then destroy the 47 Klingon ships for all they put him through.
I like it!

The whole klingon capture of the Narada and/or crew idea always was kinda weird.
Nomad8324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2009, 04:12 PM   #12
Nero's Shadow
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Nero's Shadow

Sorry mshark got carried away hopefully we will see some great cut scenes on the dvd and blue ray when it comes out more story to talk about peace and long life .