Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 17 2009, 08:03 PM   #76
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile
Re: Dollhouse renewed?

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
Oh brother, we are arguing over "everyone", obviously it's not everyone!

To ad people DVR means next to nothing.
Not arguing, just clarifying on what I said.
Old May 17 2009, 08:06 PM   #77
wamdue
Admiral

I can only speak from my own experience, but I own a PVR, and I watch a mix of live & recorded TV, when watching something on a PVR I will always skip the ads.

I dont actually see why anyone would watch the ads if they are watching a show on a PVR, so I have to side with the advertisers on this one.

yes sure chances are I am still watching the screen whilst FFwd the ads, but when each ads lasts about 3 seconds, there is no way it can have any impact.
Old May 17 2009, 08:12 PM   #78
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

wamdue wrote: View Post
I can only speak from my own experience, but I own a PVR, and I watch a mix of live & recorded TV, when watching something on a PVR I will always skip the ads.

I dont actually see why anyone would watch the ads if they are watching a show on a PVR, so I have to side with the advertisers on this one.

yes sure chances are I am still watching the screen whilst FFwd the ads, but when each ads lasts about 3 seconds, there is no way it can have any impact.
There's research that refutes that. It says because you're concentrating on the ads more, to see when the break ends, you actually register the logo more.
Also there are other reasons why you wouldn't skip the ads. Whether it's because you're doing something else at the time, like the usual things you do during ads when not watching a recording. You notice something in the ads that makes you stop to pay attention, your mind wandered during the show and you just forget you can fast forward it.
Old May 17 2009, 08:21 PM   #79
wamdue
Admiral

I can honestly say that I do not forget that I am watching something on a PVR.

not all the ads have logos, and my PVR is not the type that shows ffwd smoothly, so even if I am watching the picture is not as clear as it could be.

and noticing something in the ads, well as I say I watch a mix of live & recorded TV, so if by some fluke I was paying enough attention to an ad to see something interesting, I would not stop as I figure I would see it whilst im watching live TV.

That said my PVR has been really good for the Kia Soul ads, ive seen that way too many times, and actually alot of my live viewing is on the BBC these days.

im betting if I wasn't trying to, I could not watch a ad break on ffwd and pay enough attention to recall what they were.
Old May 17 2009, 08:30 PM   #80
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

wamdue wrote: View Post
I can honestly say that I do not forget that I am watching something on a PVR.

not all the ads have logos, and my PVR is not the type that shows ffwd smoothly, so even if I am watching the picture is not as clear as it could be.

and noticing something in the ads, well as I say I watch a mix of live & recorded TV, so if by some fluke I was paying enough attention to an ad to see something interesting, I would not stop as I figure I would see it whilst im watching live TV.

That said my PVR has been really good for the Kia Soul ads, ive seen that way too many times, and actually alot of my live viewing is on the BBC these days.

im betting if I wasn't trying to, I could not watch a ad break on ffwd and pay enough attention to recall what they were.
I watch almost recordings almost exclusively. I only really watch HD stuff live which, a majority of, is on the BBC, and media centre does 30 second skips so I very really see ads. I do occasionally rewind to see something that looked interesting. Even skipping 30 seconds at a time I see tons of logos, Jet 2, Thompsons, Haven, Birds Eye, and Daily Mirror are ones I recall seeing recently. I do let the ads play while I go off to the toilet, or go make a drink, and I have on occasion just sat here with the ads going while I'm looking at something online, so I can say most of those things do/have/can apply to me.
Old May 17 2009, 08:35 PM   #81
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

DVR/PVR blah blah blah...tangent conversation.

I just want to know if the show is OFFICIALLY renewed. Has that word come down?
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2009, 08:47 PM   #82
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

^It's about as official as it can be until it actually airs.
Old May 17 2009, 11:21 PM   #83
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

I hope the wardrobe budget sees a cut.
Old May 18 2009, 05:25 AM   #84
darthraidr
Commodore

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
darthraidr wrote: View Post
it's sad that the biggest surprise Dollhouse can manage comes from Fox renewing it. IMHO.

too bad they can't just renew firefly instead? that show was far better...
Or Futurama!

And we will take what we can get? Ummm... no I will take good TV over bad TV any day.
i'll take good tv as well... and imho, dollhouse is not good tv. it's average, and that might be getting a whedon bump from me...

i watched dollhouse via hulu, and towards the end, i was watching well after episodes aired, and only after i was bored... and even then, i wasnt paying attention...

i've been watching a lot of good tv via netflix recently and my standards have changed. there are better shows out there, i'd rather check those out.
darthraidr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2009, 07:42 PM   #85
Lumen
Vice Admiral

Upfronts are out today. We know it officially happened Friday, but, anyway: Fox in the fall. Dollhouse is back in the same timeslot, with Brothers and 'Til Death in the hour before it.
Old May 18 2009, 07:50 PM   #86
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

So it keeps it's death slot! How long before you think it's canceled? I say when it hits 1.5-1.7 million viewers.
Old May 18 2009, 07:53 PM   #87
Lumen
Vice Admiral

Apparently folks at Fox are calling this "a bet on Joss Whedon". I hope for Whedon's sake they win.
Old May 18 2009, 08:19 PM   #88
Warp Coil
Rear Admiral

There is no chance in hell that a show can succeed on Friday. I don't care how good the quality is. Any broadcast network looking for a ratings success on Friday should just give up. "Dollhouse" will continue to suffer from poor ratings so long as they keep it there. And it's choice of lead-ins is horrific and insulting. The show needs a new timeslot.
"I managed to find Uno and Checkers, and also parts of Battleship and most of the pieces of Candy Land, which I figure, I can mix together to create a fabulous new game, CandyShipBattleLand. War never tasted so good." - Lorelai Gilmore
Warp Coil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2009, 08:25 PM   #89
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

Good news for you Dollhouse fans.

I've not enjoyed Whedon's shows in the past. I didn't like Buffy or Firefly at all. Is there any chance I'd like this?
Old May 18 2009, 08:30 PM   #90
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Warp Coil wrote: View Post
There is no chance in hell that a show can succeed on Friday. I don't care how good the quality is. Any broadcast network looking for a ratings success on Friday should just give up.
CBS is an exception to that rule: Ghost Whisperer and Numb3rs have steadily drawn 9-11 million viewers on Friday.