Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old May 9 2009, 08:06 AM   #1
Botany Bay
Commodore

TOS forum regulars : Did you like the new movie?

I hope the mods will allow this thread here, I'm really interested in what TOS forum dwellers thought of it.

Me? I enjoyed it so much more than I thought I would. If nothing else, the fun is back in Trek. Everyone I went with agreed it was good to see Trek that wasn't so deathly serious.

In an act of supreme willpower I avoided the TrekBBS and anything spoilery since the movie was announced, and I'm glad I did, it was worth the wait.

So many references for us TOS lovers, but clearly a new universe, full of surprises, and off on its own path.

The most disappointing part of it for me was that Nimoy was given all the weakest scenes. The first hour of the film is terrific, the second half not as good.

I'd have to say a star is born in Karl Urban - what a performance as Bones! I really hope the Spock/Bones thing gets a bit more focus in the inevitable sequel(s).

On the downside I didn't like the new E very much. The interiors of the ship didn't do a lot for me, the bridge is my least favourite design so far, and the exteriors aren't quite right - those big nacelles don't look right to me, and what was that water pipe in engineering all about?

Everyone in our group of ten or so (mostly longtime fans) seemed to like it (with a few reservations), but the general consensus was that it was a breath of fresh air and one of the better Trek films. The cinema was packed! Been a while sice I saw that at a Trek screening.

7.5/10 from me, and now that the introductions are out of the way I think we are set up for some great films.

Thoughts?
"Sometimes I get the feeling the only way we could achieve a STAR TREK segment on budget would be to have 60 minutes of Mr. Spock playing kazoo solo as Captain Kirk holds him in his arms while standing in a telephone booth."
Bob Justman, 1967.
Botany Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2009, 05:05 PM   #2
ncc-1017-e
Captain

Re: TOS forum regulars : Did you like the new movie?

I thought The film was great fun! It is very character driven and that is what makes the movie good! Now having said that, the sets are just bad and there is a disconnect between the bridge and corridors designs with that of the rest of the interior sets! The use of refineries for the engineering sections is ridiculous! Gene would never approve! I will say that they found the best angles for the Edselprise but it is still ugly! I still have know idea what they were thinking! JJ missed the boat on this aspect of the Star Trek look!
Old May 9 2009, 06:31 PM   #3
Shatmandu
Vice Admiral

aussie wrote: View Post
Thoughts?
I thought it was terrific. Made me happy.

Joe, terrifically happy
Shatmandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2009, 07:41 PM   #4
J. Allen
Going Nowhere Fast

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Massive, massive TOS fan. I loved it, and am excited and anxious for the second movie already!

J.
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2009, 08:49 PM   #5
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I had some issues with the plot, but I thought the performances given by the actors were strong throughout. Liked the new bridge more than I thought I would from what I had seen so far. Really disliked the engineering section and the Enterprise exterior. Also, all the ships had an odd sense of scale.

I really believe that with these actors (and some changes to the sets) they could have done a true prequel.
Old May 9 2009, 09:49 PM   #6
Captain Randy Hall
Commodore

aussie wrote: View Post

Thoughts?
I'm a Classic Trek fan of more than 30 years' vintage, and I LOVED the movie. Sure it had its flaws, like promoting a cadet to captain at the drop of a hat, but overall, it was a tremendous experience.

If you can, try to see it in IMAX. It'll be worth the extra quatloos.
Captain Randy Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2009, 10:00 PM   #7
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral

This TOS fan of 20 years loved the new movie!
Old May 9 2009, 10:10 PM   #8
OtterVomit
Lieutenant

I felt it was very fun to watch, but only because the story was so ridiculous! It was like watching "Spock's Brain" with a 150 million dollar budget!

StarFleet seems to be a place where if you don't like the way things are going, just sass your superiors and you can get your way. Uhura doesn't like her ship assignment? No problem, just get in Spock's face and say "I'M ASSIGNED TO THE ENTERPRISE, GIRLFRIEND! *head shake*" and you'll get your way. Likewise, the fastest way to the Captaincy is to sneak on board and sass talk the commanding officer until he promotes you or beats the snot out of you, and makes you the de-facto captain! Watch out for Spock though, he may simply get angry and SHOOT YOU OUT OF THE SIDE OF A SHIP IN A POD to get rid of you!

Too bad while Kirk was stuck on Hoth (aka Delta Vega sans Gary Mitchell) he didn't run into Luke Skywalker who could have given him some pointers on being a simple farm-boy who dreamed of something bigger and then got to destroy the big evil planet-destroying device.

It honestly played like a parody to me. Spock sasses the Vulcan Council and then some saucy twangy guitar music plays as he exits! Its just comedy gold to me.
Old May 9 2009, 10:40 PM   #9
Basil
Fleet Captain

Google Gen-Y's behavior/attitude in college and the workplace, and you'll see why a film aimed at them has such a plot and characterizations.
Basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2009, 10:45 PM   #10
Parka Nick Ti
Lieutenant Junior Grade

First off let me say that I didn't hate the movie and I understand it is an alternate reality and a reboot, but it did not seem to capture the spirit of what made TOS great. James T was written as an obnoxious self centered wiseass. Was this movie actually about Finnegan from Shore Leave? Spock was a bitchy high strung diva. Even allowing for the different backgrounds did these characters harbour the seeds of greatness? I didn't see it. The thrust seemed to be simple franchise building, rebel against authority and blow things up. No true sci-fi themes in sight. But as the commercials said; this is not your fathers Star Trek. The writers will pander to 14 year old boys and make a ton of cash. Science Fiction lovers will just have to wait for another intelligent engaging series.
Parka Nick Ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2009, 10:49 PM   #11
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

It was the most fun I've had watching Star Trek since I was twelve.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2009, 11:10 PM   #12
Rat Boy
Vice Admiral

Although I'll always prefer the original, this was an enjoyable film and perhaps the best realization of TOS on the big screen in a long, long time.
Rat Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2009, 11:17 PM   #13
Sky
Captain

I tried to like it, I honestly did, but couldn't.
Sky   is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2009, 12:04 AM   #14
DaleC76
Captain

The movie was good, but I've always liked Vulcan .
Old May 10 2009, 12:14 AM   #15
bismarck_1892
Captain

DaleC76 wrote: View Post
The movie was good, but I've always liked Vulcan .
What's the Federation without Vulcan?
bismarck_1892 is offline   Reply With Quote