Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old February 4 2013, 03:55 AM   #1
I am not Spock
Commodore

What's with all the Union Jacks in the trailer?

United Earth? United Federation of Planets? I thought 22nd century Trek had a world government! Since when were there separate countries in Star Trek? To me, this is a big screw up.
Old February 4 2013, 04:13 AM   #2
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago
Re: What's with all the Union Jacks in the trailer?

The United States is one nation with 50 states that each have their own flag.

I fail to see the problem unless you have more specific evidence than flags.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 04:13 AM   #3
SG-17
Commodore

Even though there was a United Earth, each region still retained its independent identity. Much as how Wales, Scotland, and England still have their identities and how each of the 50 United States have their own identities.

Maybe the European Union would be a better analog, as we don't know the provincial government structure of the United Earth government. Would the United States still have a President, Congress, and Supreme Court? Would each of the states still have Governors and and State Legislatures? Would there still be county officials and city majors? I would assume yes.
SG-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 04:19 AM   #4
Antni
Lieutenant Junior Grade

View Antni's Twitter Profile

SG-17 wrote: View Post
Even though there was a United Earth, each region still retained its independent identity. Much as how Wales, Scotland, and England still have their identities and how each of the 50 United States have their own identities.

Maybe the European Union would be a better analog, as we don't know the provincial government structure of the United Earth government. Would the United States still have a President, Congress, and Supreme Court? Would each of the states still have Governors and and State Legislatures? Would there still be county officials and city majors? I would assume yes.
This ^

Plus being a Brit i quite enjoy seeing our country in these trailers and knowing even though we're a United Earth and part of the Federation my flag will still define which part of earth i'm from.
Old February 4 2013, 04:54 AM   #5
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

What in canon establishes that nations don't exist on Earth in Kirk's time?
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 04:55 AM   #6
I am not Spock
Commodore

There may still be regional governors in different territories, even though there's a Federation president. Just like you have state, and federal, governments now.
Old February 4 2013, 04:56 AM   #7
I am not Spock
Commodore

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
I don't think anything is said about it in Kirk's time. It does kind of go against TNG though, when they're talking about the flag of the former USA, an old nation state, pre-United Earth (in the episode The Royale, I think?)
Old February 4 2013, 05:04 AM   #8
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I am not Spock wrote: View Post
My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
I don't think anything is said about it in Kirk's time. It does kind of go against TNG though, when they're talking about the flag of the former USA, an old nation state, pre-United Earth (in the episode The Royale, I think?)
The Last Outpost, Picard makes nation flags sound like a thing of the past. Which really makes no sense.
Old February 4 2013, 05:17 AM   #9
Franklin
Rear Admiral

For what it's worth, there is a UFP flag (maybe UN, but it's a darker blue) between the two Union Jacks. All government arguments are hypothetical, so putting them aside, the Union Jack may still be used for decoration or as a symbol of a traditional sub-national or regional union. If Scotty can wear a kilt, then I think Brits could still fly a Union Jack.

Also, given the attitude some Brits had towards the Common Market and now have towards the EU, it's quite possible in Trek's time the UK is the last holdout sovereign nation on a united Earth. They probably even still use the pound.
Old February 4 2013, 06:08 AM   #10
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Given that many of today's cities still exist during the time of Trek, I would gather the same is true for the countries they're located in, with flags used solely to symbolize the regions rather than the governments. An analogy for U.S. citizens would be the flags for the individual states--like the TNG gang, most of us are aware of them, can even remember what some of them represent, but regard them as little more than decorations.
Old February 4 2013, 11:24 AM   #11
I am not Spock
Commodore

Franklin wrote: View Post
For what it's worth, there is a UFP flag (maybe UN, but it's a darker blue) between the two Union Jacks. All government arguments are hypothetical, so putting them aside, the Union Jack may still be used for decoration or as a symbol of a traditional sub-national or regional union. If Scotty can wear a kilt, then I think Brits could still fly a Union Jack.

Also, given the attitude some Brits had towards the Common Market and now have towards the EU, it's quite possible in Trek's time the UK is the last holdout sovereign nation on a united Earth. They probably even still use the pound.

The last holdout for United Earth was Australia, according to the TNG ep 'Attached'
Old February 4 2013, 11:36 AM   #12
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

The bigger question is why they are upside down.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2013, 11:54 AM   #13
F. King Daniel
Admiral

I have no problem with the UK still existing in the future. Although shouldn't there be a United Earth flag too? The UK, part of United Earth, part of the United Federation of Planets? DS9 did the same thing, treating Earth and the Federation as one and the same, when it should be just one member.

Also, loving the new post-Vulcan UFP symbol. Making me wonder who the real villain in this story is going to be...
Old February 4 2013, 12:29 PM   #14
Relayer1
Rear Admiral

The currently accepted (but not necessarily historic) terminology is that it is called the Union Flag, only known as the Union Jack when flown on a warship.

Your mileage may vary...
Old February 4 2013, 12:42 PM   #15
lurok
Commodore

Expect tea drinking as well. And scones.
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote