Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old April 27 2009, 01:50 AM   #1
Messianni
Commodore

View Messianni's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Messianni Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Messianni
The Wrestler starring MIckey Rourke - Thoughts?

I saw this in the theaters when it was still in limited release (only showing in one theater locally) and just bought it on DVD. I'm loving it as much as I did the first time, if not a little more. Rourke's performance is utterly heartbreaking and I'm convinced this is my favorite Aronofsky film because of how emotionally affecting it is. There isn't a single other actor in any of his other films that even came close.

Until Academy season came about no one I talked to even knew about it (I had to convince my friends to see it in the theater with me, but they ended up loving it). Anyone else seen it?
Old April 27 2009, 02:08 AM   #2
Harvey
Admiral

Re: The Wrestler starring MIckey Rourke - Thoughts?

Saw it. Loved it. One of my favorite films from last year. Rourke was great in it, too.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2009, 05:06 AM   #3
The Boy Who Cried Worf
Rear Admiral

My girlfriend who knows nothing about wrestling loved it. I who know a ton about wrestling loved it. Beautiful and frighteningly accurate film.
Old April 27 2009, 05:25 AM   #4
Messianni
Commodore

View Messianni's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Messianni Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Messianni

I heard a few months ago that the actor who portrayed the guy selling Randy the drugs in the locker room actually got busted for doing the exact same thing. Life imitating art, apparently!
Old April 27 2009, 06:51 AM   #5
Hermiod
Admiral

I'm going to get the DVD/Blu-Ray. Chris Jericho spent enough time talking about it, I suppose.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2009, 07:10 AM   #6
Jolly Old Saint James
Rear Admiral

I absolutely loved it. Mickey Rourke delivered the performance of a lifetime.
Jolly Old Saint James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2009, 07:32 AM   #7
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral

I haven't seen it, but I intend to. I was fond of Mickey Rourke back in the day and I' glad that he's come back with something so well received. Aronofsky is turning out to be a favourite director of mine.

WillsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2009, 08:32 AM   #8
Ryan
Commodore

Totally unrealistic... They actually expect us to believe there's a man alive who wouldn't want a lap dance from Marisa Tomei.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2009, 03:56 PM   #9
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Really, really liked this film.
Should've been recognized more but Hollywood was caught up in Slumdog Millionaire.
Mark my words that in 10years when Entertainment Weekly does a retro Oscars like they did recently Slumdog will not be regarded as a great film that deserved its awards. Voters got caught up in the mob mentality of voting for that film.
Captain Craig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2009, 04:48 PM   #10
Joe Washington
Fleet Captain

One of the best movies I've had the pleasure of watching. It was on the same level of goodness as the movie Milk.
I also love the way it ended. Whether he lives past this match or dies the moment he hits the mat, it doesn't matter if you think about. All that matters is him embracing the very thing that gives his life meaning and the last scene of him going out like the Ram his fans love and admire, which means more to him than they can possibly know.
Joe Washington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2009, 04:55 PM   #11
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

Ryan wrote: View Post
Totally unrealistic... They actually expect us to believe there's a man alive who wouldn't want a lap dance from Marisa Tomei.
She is at past the age were strippers either start providing extras, move to a smaller town, or quit for something else
Old April 27 2009, 05:43 PM   #12
Emher
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher

Messianni wrote: View Post
There isn't a single other actor in any of his other films that even came close.
In that case I really need to see it since I while I loved Hugh Jackman before I was even more impressed with him in The Fountain.
Old May 29 2009, 09:48 AM   #13
Aragorn
Admiral

Just watched this movie (and rather than start I new thread I just looked for the last one on this movie), and holy hell was it depressing. I never thought of the stripper-wrestler parallel before but boy did this movie knock that aspect out of the park.

Since I had seen part of Beyond the Mat before even hearing about this movie, Jake "The Snake" Roberts was totally who I immediately thought of regarding the premise. I was also shocked to see in the making-of featurette that King Kong Bundy is one of the wrestlers making the rounds in the bottom circuits.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2009, 07:44 PM   #14
jep316
Fleet Captain

Aragorn wrote: View Post
Since I had seen part of Beyond the Mat before even hearing about this movie, Jake "The Snake" Roberts was totally who I immediately thought of regarding the premise. I was also shocked to see in the making-of featurette that King Kong Bundy is one of the wrestlers making the rounds in the bottom circuits.
Thats the sad truth about Pro-Wrestlers..even if they were big name superstars like Roberts or Bundy most end their careers in the small wrestling leagues,hooked on drugs,suffering severe physical pain or dead very few have a happy ending.
Old May 29 2009, 09:09 PM   #15
DarthPipes
Vice Admiral

Aragorn wrote: View Post
Just watched this movie (and rather than start I new thread I just looked for the last one on this movie), and holy hell was it depressing. I never thought of the stripper-wrestler parallel before but boy did this movie knock that aspect out of the park.

It's a very unfortuneate aspect of the business. Guys don't know when to call it quits. They either can't due to money reasons or just refuse to do so because they don't know anything else. Roddy Piper called it "The Sickness" in his book. A lot of guys are like this. Ric Flair is 60 and he's thinking of coming back. He's not happy doing anything else and he's pissed away so much money and owes thousands in ailmony.

Once in a while, people will do good. The Rock being the most obvious example. One former 80s wrestling star doing good for himself is Tito Santana.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/22/fa...nerationb.html
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote