Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media > Lost

Lost We're not the only forum on this board, and we all know it!

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 82 79.61%
Above Average 15 14.56%
Average 3 2.91%
Below Average 2 1.94%
Poor 1 0.97%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 14 2009, 10:32 AM   #76
Capt. Vulcan
Vice Admiral

Re: Lost Fifth Season Finale: "The Incident"

So from the beach scene it looks like Jacob is from modern times, being that it takes place during the black rock times, yet they talk like contemporary people.
Old May 14 2009, 12:06 PM   #77
chrisspringob
Commodore

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
I thought we were supposed to get a major death. It looked like it would be Juliet, but that didn't happen.
Well, Locke is dead. (Though his death didn't actually happen in this episode. We simply found out that he's really been dead for most of the season.) And Juliet might be dead....depending on what happened with the bomb. And Sayid is very nearly dead.

Also, as a reminder from "The Life of Jeremy Bentham", Walt says to Locke (quoting from Lostpedia here):

"Walt explains that he'd been having dreams of Locke in a suit on the Island, surrounded by people who wanted to hurt him."

Now that makes sense. Walt had dreams of who he thought was Locke, but was actually Jacob's adversary, disguised as Locke. And the people who want to hurt him are the Others / Ilana's group, who will be none too pleased with Jacob being killed.
Old May 14 2009, 12:44 PM   #78
cubbie
Vice Admiral

Was that Juliet's eye at the very end, when it said 2010?
Old May 14 2009, 01:00 PM   #79
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
bigdaddy wrote: View Post
They announced two years ago the schedule for the rest of LOST. Three 17 episode seasons airing in Jan-May (cept S4 which was 14 due to the strike).
It's 16 episodes a season.
It was supposed to be 16 each
Which is what I was saying. He/she said that there were supposed to be three seasons of 17 episodes. There weren't, there were supposed to be three seasons of 16.
Old May 14 2009, 01:18 PM   #80
gh4chiefs
Rear Admiral

gh4chiefs wrote: View Post
Not really digging this turn of events with "not Locke."
I guess I should have expanded on that a little. As many of you know, I'm not really happy with the weird turns into scifi/fantasy this show as taken. But I did enjoy some of the characters and watching them. One of those characters I enjoyed was Locke, and for me, the most enjoyable aspect of season 5 was seeing uberLocke running the show and blowing the minds of Ben and even Richard. And now, after sitting through a season of that, I find out it was all a sham. Locke is dead, replaced by "not Locke" who apparently has some kind of evil agenda (although who knows with this show.)

Between the long break we have now ahead of us, and this turn with Locke, it just really took a lot of my interest away.
Old May 14 2009, 01:31 PM   #81
chrisspringob
Commodore

So wait.....still trying to absorb everything......

1) If Locke never really came back to life, then that means that Christian presumably never came back to life either. "Christian" was presumably either Jacob or Jacob's rival all along. Probably Jacob's rival.

Ilana says that Jacob's cabin has been "used by someone else". That was probably Jacob's rival taking the form of Christian, who used it when he talked to Locke last season. Jacob's rival (as Christian) tells Locke to move the Island. Jacob's rival (as Locke) tells Richard to mend Locke's leg, give him the compass, and tell him that he has to leave the Island and die. Jacob's rival (as Christian) helps Locke when he's down by the donkey wheel, encouraging him to turn it so that he can leave the Island and (eventually) die.

2) Richard had said of the 815ers trapped in 1977 "I watched them die". This presumably means that they were presumed killed in the Incident. He thought they died in the Incident, but, in all likelihood, they just ended up flashing back to 2007 or something, as I don't think they'd kill off half the cast. The fact that Richard remembers them on the Island and remembers them "dying" (as well as the fact that there's a picture of them) proves that Juliet setting off the bomb doesn't reset the timeline or anything. The Island that we see in 2007 has to have, as part of its past, the actions of the 815ers in 1977.

3) Jacob and his rival can't kill each other directly, because there are rules or something. Ben and Widmore also can't kill each other, as described in their confrontation last season.
Old May 14 2009, 01:46 PM   #82
chrisspringob
Commodore

Wait....thought about it even more.....

Locke was never meant to be the leader. The whole thing was manufactured by Jacob's rival. Jacob's rival (disguised as Locke) has Richard give Locke the compass. Locke goes back in time to 1954, hands the compass to 1954-Richard, and also mentions to Richard that he knows Jacob. This makes Richard think that Locke is special and that Locke is supposed to eventually become the leader. But he's not. That's why Locke fails the tests. He's not really supposed to become the leader. It was all a setup by Jacob's rival.
Old May 14 2009, 02:28 PM   #83
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral

I was just thinking about that myself. The whole "Locke is a special leader" thing was engineered by the Rival, to somehow exploit the loophole and come in another body and kill jacob.
Old May 14 2009, 02:49 PM   #84
Jaron
Captain

Stone_Cold_Sisko wrote: View Post
I was just thinking about that myself. The whole "Locke is a special leader" thing was engineered by the Rival, to somehow exploit the loophole and come in another body and kill jacob.
I wouldn't entirely rule out Locke being special just yet. In The Cost of Living, Locke described the monster as being a beautiful bright light. At the time it seemed like he just saw the monster differently than everyone else, but knowing what we know now, I'm guessing what he really saw was Jacob. What that means is unclear. It could be that Jacob chose him for something and the Rival managed to subvert his role in things, or it could just be a random encounter.
Old May 14 2009, 03:13 PM   #85
gh4chiefs
Rear Admiral

There's that and the "I'm sorry you had to go through this" comment by Jacob to Locke after he fell out of the window. That seems to imply something else might be in store for the real Locke, but again with this show, who knows?
Old May 14 2009, 03:13 PM   #86
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Above average. That's usually a good rating, especially when Lost has been achieving that week in, week out more consistently than any other show I've personally seen. However, in the finale, where you expecting something more epic, it's almost a bit dissappointing.

What was missing? For 2 hours of screen time, there just didn't seem to be enough plot. There was a ton of walking around, which was really just a stall tactic. You still had good stuff mixed in, but things were drawn out a little too much. Also, the bomb going off at the end was supposed to be a big dramatic thing but it's not. It was pretty expected. We all know that all of those regulars aren't going to be killed off, the only question is what happens. So, to leave it that way is unsatisfying.

What they should've done is ended it on a WTF, twist type of consequence of the bomb going off. We get a glimpse of how things are going to be next season. But, just a small glimpse that won't make full sense until next year. That would give us something to chew on. As it is, we don't know what happens but we do know that they all won't die.

Despite these problems, there was a lot of good stuff. It was a typical quality episode produced by the Lost team. I've been astounded by their ability to consistently crank out superb episodes. This one just didn't quite reach the Excellent category, which I rarely give anyway.

Predictions for next year. Yeah, as I said, they don't all die. I think they are successful in changing time. But, not in the way they expect. There is clearly another manipulator here that they've already set up, Jacob. He's visited all of the Losties, many before they knew of the island. He clearly knows the future and I believe is in manipulating events, weaving the fabric of time so to speak. He knows of the other guys plans (we don't have a name yet right?) and is working on a counter plan. So, he's cooking up something to prevent him from being killed. Ben kills Jacob but then the timeline is changed.

So, what happens. Time changes but in a way that ends up with the Losties still on the island. It's totally improbable unless you understand there is manipulation going on. We've seen this already. What does this kind of manipulation look like? A bunch of unusual coincidences. Things working out a certain way. I've guessed this before and I'm thinking things are still pointing this way. What we've seen as Lost is not necessarily the first iteration of this changing loop.

Mr Awe
Old May 14 2009, 03:13 PM   #87
spinnerlys
Commander

cubbie wrote: View Post
Was that Juliet's eye at the very end, when it said 2010?
It was Jack's eye from the Pilot, the first image we saw of Lost (besides the title card).

from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD59KD-s328 0:10

from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byN6qX7MmDI 0:12

from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD59KD-s328 0:13

from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byN6qX7MmDI 0:14
Old May 14 2009, 03:16 PM   #88
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

warriorsfan wrote: View Post

And they aren't going to reset the timeline. Why, after setting up all that stuff with the Alana and the Ajira flight people and Jacob's mysterious frenemy and Ghost Locke and Jacob's death and the million other things, would they just reset everything and not follow through with that? Because all that would be "reset" as well. We got 100 new questions this episode and a reset would essentially deny us answers to many of those.
I don't think it'll be totally reset. We'll get a new version of Lost, kind of like the Star Trek movie. The only question I have, will they have any memories of the changes. Logically no, but that's less dramatically satsifying. Perhaps the island protects the original memories.

Mr Awe
Old May 14 2009, 03:29 PM   #89
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

I guess I should have known Jacob would die since they were finally explaining and showing him.
Who says he's dead. He's been going around visiting the Losties at different points in time. He can time travel and he's weaving his own plan. He's got a plan and he's got time travel. and we've got something happening back in 1977 that can change time. You can bet this will lead up to a change where Jacob lives.

The entire Jack-Plan just seemed completely asinine to me.
It was asinine. He just went to great lengths to get back to the island and now he wants to make it so he never was on the island. He could go on living the life that he knows makes him miserable. I think the writers flubbed with their motivations for wanting to change things. It didn't quite work for me.

Stone_Cold_Sisko wrote: View Post
I dont see the timeline getting reset, they were sent back precisely to make sure the incident happened.
Nah, they're not going to go through all of that rigamarole just to have things as they were before. Boring. Been there done that with shooting young Ben. You can bet there will be changes. Jacob has been manipulating things too. It's revealed that Jacob was directly responsible for ensuring that Hurley returns to the island. This enables that group to go back to 1977. Daniel states that that group was not even supposed to be there. What that groups does, changes the past. Ergo, Jacob changes the past by introducing Jack, Kate, Hurley, and Sayid as random variables. It's clear that without them, Daniel's plan to change things dies with him. These characters push to keep Daniel's plan going even after he is killed.

I think Jacobs plan is to change past so that he is not killed in 2007.

Mr Awe
Old May 14 2009, 03:32 PM   #90
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

As I mentioned earlier and has been mentioned in other boards, Jacob's rival is presumably named Esau, who is the twin brother of Jacob.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esau