RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,163
Posts: 5,402,693
Members: 24,751
Currently online: 486
Newest member: kaklina

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Time’s Orphan
By: Michelle on Aug 30

September-October Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Lee Passes
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Trek Big Bang Figures
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Khan in the sequel?
YES 16 13.91%
NO 99 86.09%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 13 2009, 02:52 AM   #91
Kirk's_Tights
Fleet Captain
 
Kirk's_Tights's Avatar
 
Location: Hugh Jackman's pants
Re: Can We Have A Kahn Sequel ?

I actually wouldn't mind at all if the brought Khan back. I loved the second movie and thought Khan was a great character. Recycled or not, I'd still love to see it.
Kirk's_Tights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2009, 02:57 AM   #92
NumberOne
Lieutenant Commander
 
NumberOne's Avatar
 
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Re: Can We Have A Kahn Sequel ?

candle_86 wrote: View Post
well since the timeline is shot lets do kirk meets Q
Oh god, no Q p l e a s e
NumberOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2009, 02:57 AM   #93
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: Can We Have A Kahn Sequel ?

Can We Have A Kahn Sequel ?
Eat all of your peas before bed and then I'll ask your father.
__________________
Out of hope.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2009, 03:55 AM   #94
srombomb
Lieutenant
 
Re: Can We Have A Kahn Sequel ?

Personally I like the idea that someone else posted about the federations using the genesis device to try and recreate vulcan.

Enter: the little blond lab technician. Create a conflict between Kirk and Carol Marcus with him arguing with her that the work she is doing is more dangerous than humane.

Kirk will realize just how dangerous the universe would be if this device got into the wrong hands. Enter Gary Mitchell. Kirk bunked with him at the academy (although we will just assume we never saw him in Trek 11), and he ends up being assigned at the last minute to be the special ops officer on the bridge.
Enter Khan, and his followers being revived from hypersleep by the crew of the USS Reliant.

In the end, Gary Mitchell could end up being the one that dies to save Kirk and co. from Khan's wrath.

This is just a really vague way of developing ideas for this, but I figured why not. I do want to see old characters revisited in new ways because we won't know there fate since it's a new timeline.

I think Khan could be done BETTER this time out if written properly and played by a quality actor. Khan is considered the holy grail of Trek lore. Even for people like me who were kinda so so on WOK, I still think the Trek writers and producers would be absolutely stupid to ignore the opportunity to bring a big budget Khan film to the big screen.

Plus, like it or not, Paramount is going to have their fair say in the sequel, and if they base it on how well the Dark Knight did bringing back the most famous villain in Batman's past, well it will be obvious to Paramount what the sequel should have a hefty dose of. It does come down to $$$$. If they think more money can be made bringing back a redo of Trek's most popular villain, then writing a brand new story about new characters, you can bet what kind of sequel will be made.

Leave the new adventures and new aliens for a new tv series. Movies are too big an investment for film companies to be taking chances on "new storys". And if I was a movie exec I would be pushing for a Khan sequel for that reason alone. Star Trek Insurrection was a very original story for Trek, but we all know how that turned out. We got a redo of Gilbert and Sullivan lol. JOY.

Point being. Stick to what works, Khan would be welcomed back with open arms to the majority of people who love all things Trek. I'm willing to bet there were plenty who didn't want to see the Joker return in the Dark Knight, and because of solid writing, those same fans were treated to one of the best comic book films of all time. Trek should stick to the same formula.

Nuff said.
srombomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2009, 04:04 AM   #95
perigee
Lieutenant Commander
 
Location: XXXXXXXXXXXX
Re: Can We Have A Kahn Sequel ?

Godalmighty.

You FINALLY get a chance to see some new TOS-type Trek, and all some imbeciles want to do is see the same damned thing over and over again. "Duhhh.. do the Kahn again, George - I like the Kahn one..."

Are you people Nuts???

You like Kahn - go watch 'em, for God's sake, and get out of the road.
perigee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2009, 04:37 AM   #96
srombomb
Lieutenant
 
Re: Can We Have A Kahn Sequel ?

Look,

Star Trek is like food for most people. We have had our fair share of good Trek and bad Trek. Khan represented " the tasty meal" most Trek fans would be willing to revisit any night of the week.

I'd rather see Khan return, than see a new story about something that just does not work.
srombomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2009, 05:09 AM   #97
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.
 
M'Sharak's Avatar
 
Location: Terra Inlandia
Re: My argument for a Kahn sequel...

Brutal Strudel wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Please, it's "Khan," not "Kahn."

You know, as in Genghis Khan, Kublai Khan . . . .
...Madeline Khan, James Khan, the Khan-Khan Dancers of Le Moulin Rouge.
The temperature's rising,
It isn't surprising
They certainly khan Khan-Khan!
__________________
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2009, 05:37 AM   #98
perigee
Lieutenant Commander
 
Location: XXXXXXXXXXXX
Re: Can We Have A Kahn Sequel ?

...and I know 6-year olds who won't eat anything but hamburgers. It doesn't matter that there's steak and lobster out there, it's McDonalds or a scene.

Write some fanfic. Get it out of your system. Try something new.
perigee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2009, 10:01 AM   #99
TheMadCloner
Lieutenant
 
Re: Can We Have A Kahn Sequel ?

srombomb wrote: View Post
Personally I like the idea that someone else posted about the federations using the genesis device to try and recreate vulcan.

Enter: the little blond lab technician. Create a conflict between Kirk and Carol Marcus with him arguing with her that the work she is doing is more dangerous than humane.

Kirk will realize just how dangerous the universe would be if this device got into the wrong hands. Enter Gary Mitchell. Kirk bunked with him at the academy (although we will just assume we never saw him in Trek 11), and he ends up being assigned at the last minute to be the special ops officer on the bridge.
Enter Khan, and his followers being revived from hypersleep by the crew of the USS Reliant.

In the end, Gary Mitchell could end up being the one that dies to save Kirk and co. from Khan's wrath.

This is just a really vague way of developing ideas for this, but I figured why not. I do want to see old characters revisited in new ways because we won't know there fate since it's a new timeline.

I think Khan could be done BETTER this time out if written properly and played by a quality actor. Khan is considered the holy grail of Trek lore. Even for people like me who were kinda so so on WOK, I still think the Trek writers and producers would be absolutely stupid to ignore the opportunity to bring a big budget Khan film to the big screen.

Plus, like it or not, Paramount is going to have their fair say in the sequel, and if they base it on how well the Dark Knight did bringing back the most famous villain in Batman's past, well it will be obvious to Paramount what the sequel should have a hefty dose of. It does come down to $$$$. If they think more money can be made bringing back a redo of Trek's most popular villain, then writing a brand new story about new characters, you can bet what kind of sequel will be made.

Leave the new adventures and new aliens for a new tv series. Movies are too big an investment for film companies to be taking chances on "new storys". And if I was a movie exec I would be pushing for a Khan sequel for that reason alone. Star Trek Insurrection was a very original story for Trek, but we all know how that turned out. We got a redo of Gilbert and Sullivan lol. JOY.

Point being. Stick to what works, Khan would be welcomed back with open arms to the majority of people who love all things Trek. I'm willing to bet there were plenty who didn't want to see the Joker return in the Dark Knight, and because of solid writing, those same fans were treated to one of the best comic book films of all time. Trek should stick to the same formula.

Nuff said.
I'll take that as a compliment.

I wrote up a little bit in one of my previous posts about the fact that Khan doesn't have to be written as the bad guy - or at least not the willing and intentional villain.

I think there are ways to explore his character which would be both unpredictable and exciting.
TheMadCloner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2009, 10:04 AM   #100
T'Paul
Commander
 
Location: Parents' basement
Re: A Khan Sequel ?

It would be great if Khan, at some point after "Space Seed", floated into a black hole and got spit out into the new timeline and had to face off against Old Spock and OJ Simpson.
T'Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2009, 05:13 PM   #101
RobertScorpio
Pariah
 
Location: San Diego
Re: Can We Have A Kahn Sequel ?

TheMadCloner wrote: View Post
srombomb wrote: View Post
Personally I like the idea that someone else posted about the federations using the genesis device to try and recreate vulcan.

Enter: the little blond lab technician. Create a conflict between Kirk and Carol Marcus with him arguing with her that the work she is doing is more dangerous than humane.

Kirk will realize just how dangerous the universe would be if this device got into the wrong hands. Enter Gary Mitchell. Kirk bunked with him at the academy (although we will just assume we never saw him in Trek 11), and he ends up being assigned at the last minute to be the special ops officer on the bridge.
Enter Khan, and his followers being revived from hypersleep by the crew of the USS Reliant.

In the end, Gary Mitchell could end up being the one that dies to save Kirk and co. from Khan's wrath.

This is just a really vague way of developing ideas for this, but I figured why not. I do want to see old characters revisited in new ways because we won't know there fate since it's a new timeline.

I think Khan could be done BETTER this time out if written properly and played by a quality actor. Khan is considered the holy grail of Trek lore. Even for people like me who were kinda so so on WOK, I still think the Trek writers and producers would be absolutely stupid to ignore the opportunity to bring a big budget Khan film to the big screen.

Plus, like it or not, Paramount is going to have their fair say in the sequel, and if they base it on how well the Dark Knight did bringing back the most famous villain in Batman's past, well it will be obvious to Paramount what the sequel should have a hefty dose of. It does come down to $$$$. If they think more money can be made bringing back a redo of Trek's most popular villain, then writing a brand new story about new characters, you can bet what kind of sequel will be made.

Leave the new adventures and new aliens for a new tv series. Movies are too big an investment for film companies to be taking chances on "new storys". And if I was a movie exec I would be pushing for a Khan sequel for that reason alone. Star Trek Insurrection was a very original story for Trek, but we all know how that turned out. We got a redo of Gilbert and Sullivan lol. JOY.

Point being. Stick to what works, Khan would be welcomed back with open arms to the majority of people who love all things Trek. I'm willing to bet there were plenty who didn't want to see the Joker return in the Dark Knight, and because of solid writing, those same fans were treated to one of the best comic book films of all time. Trek should stick to the same formula.

Nuff said.
I'll take that as a compliment.

I wrote up a little bit in one of my previous posts about the fact that Khan doesn't have to be written as the bad guy - or at least not the willing and intentional villain.

I think there are ways to explore his character which would be both unpredictable and exciting.
I like your idea..well...most of it. But KHAN has to be the bad guy for the simple reason that the general public wont have to be 're-educated'. Rewrite your story just have him be the bad guy...think of this as a producer not a writer. You have the brand already there. "KIRK vs KHAN". No reason to spend script time retelling that part of it...

So...if I was the studio guy? I'd say..."Look Bubba, I like your idea..but can you imagine the poster "KIRK VS KHAN"!!! I love it already!!!"

Thats how it would go...trust me..

Rob
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2009, 06:00 PM   #102
Ovation
Vice Admiral
 
Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)
Re: A Khan Sequel ?

No, no, no, and NO! The whole point of having a NEW "universe" is to NOT re-hash the old. I will be EXTREMELY disappointed if they go the Khan route.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2009, 09:04 PM   #103
RobertScorpio
Pariah
 
Location: San Diego
Re: A Khan Sequel ?

Ovation wrote: View Post
No, no, no, and NO! The whole point of having a NEW "universe" is to NOT re-hash the old. I will be EXTREMELY disappointed if they go the Khan route.
I would agree to not doing it IF they can find a villain that is more pivotal than Bana, who I did like, but more central to Kirk. Just not enough of him, and thats okay, considering they had alot on their plate.

Rob
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2009, 09:29 PM   #104
Ovation
Vice Admiral
 
Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)
Re: A Khan Sequel ?

Why does the "foe" have to be "central to Kirk"? Why can't the crew cope with new and unknown dangers? A "first contact" gone wrong through misunderstanding (which could generate the "action sequences") that is corrected through some compromise (which would be the "thinking" element). To make the whole thing resonate at an emotional level, include Pike in the story and have him be the one who dies owing to the misunderstanding--the "lesson" could be a refusal to given in to the urge to "avenge" Pike.

(just some random thoughts but I do stand by my contention that the "villain" need NOT be "central to Kirk" in a traditional sense)
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2009, 09:34 PM   #105
DiSiLLUSiON
Commodore
 
DiSiLLUSiON's Avatar
 
Location: The Netherlands
Re: A Khan Sequel ?

Ovation wrote: View Post
Why does the "foe" have to be "central to Kirk"? Why can't the crew cope with new and unknown dangers? A "first contact" gone wrong through misunderstanding (which could generate the "action sequences") that is corrected through some compromise (which would be the "thinking" element). To make the whole thing resonate at an emotional level, include Pike in the story and have him be the one who dies owing to the misunderstanding--the "lesson" could be a refusal to given in to the urge to "avenge" Pike.
A first contact gone wrong? First thought I have: "Booring". Personally, I'd probably like it, but it probably wouldn't have gotten the attention from non-Star Trek fans.
DiSiLLUSiON is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
khan

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.