Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

New Trek Puzzles
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Star Trek Online: Delta Rising
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Khan in the sequel?
YES 16 13.91%
NO 99 86.09%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 12 2009, 10:56 PM   #76
Lythia
Lieutenant

Re: Can We Have A Kahn Sequel ?

I sincerely hope not. And please, no Borg. Klingons would be okay, but something new would be fabulous.
Lythia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 11:17 PM   #77
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Jax wrote: View Post
I was wondering if a Kahn story would be suitable for the next movie, I think we could get bits of the TOS episode & movie in it with a new plot but can they pull off such a plot to make it PG-13 and would it not be too dark that it hinders the normal summer blockbuster feel good factor. I do think the new fans would love a J.J version of Trek's greatest TOS villian.

Start the movie with a voice over talking and maybe showing bits of the Eugenic Wars and talking about Kahn. Then something alone the line of a federation ship finds the Botany Bay floating in space and then wakes up the crew by accident *cue camera panning out and screams* just something alone those lines.

48-72 hours later we could have the USS Enterprise currently at the new Vulcan homeworld get the call from Admiral Pike that Starfleet has loss contact with one of their ship's. Cue USS Enterprise finding Kahn and from there the writers can come up with a plot because thats that they get paid for

Just basic outline what ya think or non Kahn sequel...Also I would want a ship capable of going up against the big E.
My thread got shut down months ago when I said the same thing...but I hope they DO a Khan set up. From a fan's perspective (meaning a lot of folks on this board) I can see why they are against it. But as a producer? There are only TWO things regular people know about the old movies...saving the whales...and Kirk vs Khan. Thats it...

Doing Khan makes PERFECT sense. In fact 12 should be about finding him...13 should be his wrath....

Familiarity is why we get JOKER and MEGATRON and LEX LUTHOR....and people remember Mr. Roark!!!!

I predict Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan! will be back...

Rob
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 11:49 PM   #78
TheMadCloner
Lieutenant

Yeah, I think the pieces fall into place too perfectly for them not to do something revolving around Khan.

Vulcan destroyed.

Federation invents a Genesis-type device earlier to try to "recreate" Vulcan.

Kirk encounters Khan en route to planet.

What happens after that can still be unpredictable. They don't even have to make Khan the bad guy.

It's one of the few Trek pop culture references that still exist today, thanks to Seinfeld and a few other sitcoms. If Nolan saw fit to capitalize on the mythos of the Joker, I think JJ might follow suit with Khan.
TheMadCloner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 11:50 PM   #79
RobertScorpio
Pariah

TheMadCloner wrote: View Post
Yeah, I think the pieces fall into place too perfectly for them not to do something revolving around Khan.

Vulcan destroyed.

Federation invents a Genesis-type device earlier to try to "recreate" Vulcan.

Kirk encounters Khan en route to planet.

What happens after that can still be unpredictable. They don't even have to make Khan the bad guy.

It's one of the few Trek pop culture references that still exist today, thanks to Seinfeld and a few other sitcoms. If Nolan saw fit to capitalize on the mythos of the Joker, I think JJ might follow suit with Khan.
Cloner..you've just earned your pay for the week..I couldn't have said it better..amen brother!!!

Rob
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 11:56 PM   #80
Peter the Younger
Commodore

I'm as fond of TWOK as the next guy, but no, it would be cheesy. In the new universe, Khan and the Botany Bay should just drift off into space, unfrozen.

Peter the Younger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2009, 12:01 AM   #81
Chess Piece Face
Commodore

No Khan. New stuff.
Chess Piece Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2009, 12:05 AM   #82
section9
Commander

No.

Absolutely not! No Khan sequel. There was only one Ricardo Montalban. His memory must be preserved.

This is a new universe. Let's go exploring.

KHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 13 2009, 12:12 AM   #83
chardman
Vice Admiral

View chardman's Twitter Profile

I doubt Spock Prime would let events replay themselves, and risk nuSpock's death replaying as well, particularly now that the Vulcan re-katra shop no longer exists. I'd imagine that since the nuUniverse has its own independent destiny, that Spock would have no reason to not warn them about certain situations that might occur, as there'd be no fear of paradox.

That said, the Federation would be forewarned. Khan and the rest of the crew of the Botany Bay would only be brought out of suspended animation in the strictly controlled conditions of a Federation Prison. Or more likely, the Botany Bay would simply be marked with a warning buoy declaring it "off limits", and its crew never revived at all.

The whole "nuSpace-Seed" could be completed in just a few minutes, perhaps as a Bond-movie-like teaser before the opening credits of the real story.
Old May 13 2009, 12:28 AM   #84
Red Ranger
Admiral

I'd rather see nuKor, nuKang, or even nuKoloth! -- RR

"I would make this war as severe as possible, and show no symptoms of tiring till the South begs for mercy." -- William Tecumseh Sherman
Red Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2009, 12:38 AM   #85
davidant32
Commodore

I'd like the next movie to be a heavy-handed moral dilemma, that ultimately makes little sense and does not connect with the audience, in the style of Insurrection following the wildly popular First Contact
Old May 13 2009, 12:57 AM   #86
Cheewiee
Rear Admiral

chardman wrote: View Post
I doubt Spock Prime would let events replay themselves, and risk nuSpock's death replaying as well, particularly now that the Vulcan re-katra shop no longer exists. I'd imagine that since the nuUniverse has its own independent destiny, that Spock would have no reason to not warn them about certain situations that might occur, as there'd be no fear of paradox.

That said, the Federation would be forewarned. Khan and the rest of the crew of the Botany Bay would only be brought out of suspended animation in the strictly controlled conditions of a Federation Prison. Or more likely, the Botany Bay would simply be marked with a warning buoy declaring it "off limits", and its crew never revived at all.

The whole "nuSpace-Seed" could be completed in just a few minutes, perhaps as a Bond-movie-like teaser before the opening credits of the real story.
*WHAT IF* instead of being found by Kirk & Company the Botany Bay was picked up by Klingons.

What if instead of being able to contain Khan, like Kirk and Company did in the Prime Timeline, the klingons couldn't and we wind up with superhumans on a Klingon Cruiser.

What this would allow for is Khan, to attempt some kind of overthrow of Earth, with the added tensions of potential hostilities with the Klingons because Humans stole a Klingon Ship, which they thought was espionage.

In movie they could even be ambigious about the date of the Eugenics wars, so cannon nazi's could be happy, as well as your general public who doesn't need the extra expository about the eugenics wars being a covert war on earth in the late 20th century.
Cheewiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2009, 01:00 AM   #87
candle_86
Lieutenant

Send a message via Yahoo to candle_86

well since the timeline is shot lets do kirk meets Q
candle_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2009, 01:01 AM   #88
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

I'd really rather not revisit the whole Khan deal. They'd be new acquaintances - there's no personal stake between Khan and - anyone in the Federation, really. Plus, 2 appearances really was enough for him. This isn't a fannish reaction IMO - this is essentially a new universe, so the writers should do new things.
Old May 13 2009, 01:43 AM   #89
teacock
Admiral

I realize that there will probably be a Khan sequel or remake because that's the way films are going these days, big re-do's of past glories. But I would prefer something new myself. I loved Khan in Space Seed and TWOK and I read and loved all the Eugenics wars books and now I've had my fill.

New stuff please!

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2009, 02:48 AM   #90
NCC74894A
Fleet Captain

Location: The Laurentian system, albeit about a century too late

Cheewiee wrote: View Post
In movie they could even be ambigious about the date of the Eugenics wars, so cannon nazi's could be happy, as well as your general public who doesn't need the extra expository about the eugenics wars being a covert war on earth in the late 20th century.
This could work. As I've argued in other threads, bringing back Khan with his original backstory left intact would be problematic - not so much from a canon standpoint as from a real-world historical standpoint - but that doesn't mean the Eugenics Wars couldn't be "reimagined" or even just glossed over in a post-reboot movie; only that they, and therefore Khan's backstory, no longer make sense as originally depicted in "Space Seed".

The problem is that now we not only have two parallel Trek canons, but also two competing Earth histories from 1966 up to today: the history that really happened, and the faux "history" that TOS and subsequent series "predicted" would happen since 1966 but never actually did. Star Trek historically has presented humanity's future as an optimistic continuation of its real history - indeed, that's the short description of Trek's enduring appeal - but the Eugenics Wars, as depicted in the Trek Prime canon, are no longer part of real history. (And yes, in about 15 years the Bell Riots are probably going to enter this same no-man's-land of faux history. More problematically, we have only about 54 more years until Zefram Cochrane and the flight of the Phoenix also join them.)