Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Khan in the sequel?
YES 16 13.91%
NO 99 86.09%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 15 2009, 05:16 PM   #151
Chess Piece Face
Commodore

Re: A Khan Sequel ?

Khan = no thanks. Let's see something new. That's the whole point of them rebooting the prequel universe without the trappings of regular prequel universes.

It would be a mistake not to do something ENTIRELY new.
Chess Piece Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2009, 06:17 PM   #152
Shaper079
Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you want to pull elements of ToS, I'd like to see something along the lines of the Corbomite Manuever. Not the same story, but Kirk being Kirk, pulling a bluff when his gut told him too, running his ship with an iron hand, treating the Prime directive as a guideline rather than a rule, you know the guy I mean. I wanna see the James T. Kirk that broke all the rules to do the right thing. The first movie was about how Kirk HAD to be the Captain of the Enterprise; now show us why.

Also in Space Seed Khan held no malice toward Kirk, in fact he considered the exile quite reasonable. If they bring him back could it not be that he sees the error of his ways? Could Khan in a rebooted timeline be an ally?
Shaper079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2009, 06:44 PM   #153
Cakes488
Commodore

View Cakes488's Twitter Profile

I personally wouldn't mind seeing Khan again -- but I still voted no. I mean for what they're getting paid I really think these writers need to come up with something new and fresh. It's complete bullshit if they reuse Khan and it's the cheap way out.
Cakes488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2009, 06:50 PM   #154
urbandk
Commodore

another reason why khan would be irritating... it's more time travel, albeit in an indirect way.
Old May 15 2009, 06:57 PM   #155
Photoman15
Fleet Captain

No movie is going to be about exploring strange new worlds, or Paramount would be exploring strange empty box office receipts. That has to be left for the (hopefully) next series. The movies have to have action and a villain. Otherwise, you will lose viewers who we gained with this movie. And it can't retread the same story.
Old May 15 2009, 07:44 PM   #156
urbandk
Commodore

yeah i agree that there has to be a villain... but look at The Thing for example. the villain was a bizarre alien that was hardly on screen.
Old May 15 2009, 07:52 PM   #157
Cakes488
Commodore

View Cakes488's Twitter Profile

Photoman15 wrote: View Post
No movie is going to be about exploring strange new worlds, or Paramount would be exploring strange empty box office receipts. That has to be left for the (hopefully) next series. The movies have to have action and a villain. Otherwise, you will lose viewers who we gained with this movie. And it can't retread the same story.
Will this formula ever get tired...?? I understand action is necessary but I like the dialogue the most.....

Is there any way we can...and I quote John Cleese or whoever said it "and now for something completely different"...can we get some of that???
After reading the article posted here on May 12 "Star Trek XII: charting an unpredictable future"...I highly highly doubt it. I think we'll be seein' Khan next go round.
Cakes488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2009, 08:08 PM   #158
urbandk
Commodore

Cakes488 wrote: View Post
Will this formula ever get tired...?? I understand action is necessary but I like the dialogue the most.....

Is there any way we can...and I quote John Cleese or whoever said it "and now for something completely different"...can we get some of that???
After reading the article posted here on May 12 "Star Trek XII: charting an unpredictable future"...I highly highly doubt it. I think we'll be seein' Khan next go round.
don't give up hope. i hope that a unified front of fans, fans who liked and disliked this new movie, might have some sway against khan in a sequel. i wish there were a way to e-mail the results of this informal poll to orci et al.
Old May 15 2009, 08:13 PM   #159
IvosevicJ
Rear Admiral

Re: My argument for a Kahn sequel...

Aragorn wrote: View Post
I would think this movie would set up the Klingons for the next one. The Federation is severely weakened with the loss of planet Vulcan (and all those Vulcans) and Starfleet losing several ships and most of a graduating class.
I definitely agree that the Klingons are likely candidates for villains in Number 2, especially since they are so well known. But I think Nero screwed them up pretty badly too. Remember the Narada destroyed 46 Klingon ships in 25 years of sitting around waiting for Spock to show up.
IvosevicJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2009, 08:20 PM   #160
Maxillius
Commander

We've already seen Khan so what would be the point in another movie of essentially the same story? If TPTB insist on pulling from TOS episodes, then I suggest The Arena, Balance of Terror, or The Doomsday Machine. New Voyages had a new take on Doomsday Machine that would be intersting to explore.
Maxillius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2009, 08:47 PM   #161
SheliakBob
Commander

For the love of God, if we HAVE to have an alternate Trek shoved down our throats, at least use it to do something COMPLETELY different! Don't crap on all the characters and stories from TOS. If you want a clean slate, damnit, use a clean slate!
Hell, even a fanatic like me would likely wind up being sucked in at some point, if what is being presented is original and new. If it's all just overblown popcorn rehashing of beloved classics, the pain and anger will keep right on growing.
SheliakBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2009, 08:48 PM   #162
urbandk
Commodore

See, we can all come together and agree, no Khan!
Old May 15 2009, 09:56 PM   #163
apenpaap
Commodore

I want to see Khan again, but not in XII. They should wait a few movies.
Old May 15 2009, 10:32 PM   #164
CoveTom
Rear Admiral

I don't mean any disrespect to you, but bullshit. That's the Hollywood party line, but it's simply untrue and it's the reason why we keep getting these cookie-cutter films out of the studios that are absolutely lacking in any substance.

Up until the release of this current film, what was the most successful of the Star Trek films, both in terms of box office and mainstream crossover appeal? It was The Voyage Home. In which there was no villain. No big action sequences. No battles. No retread of Wrath of Khan. None of that. In fact, Harve Bennet and Leonard Nimoy made that a key point of the film. And it worked brilliantly.

The movie was fun, it did spectacular box office for the time, it achieved great success beyond the Trek fanbase, and it even had a patented Star Trek social message thrown in. And to this day, it's the one non-fans will say "oh, I don't watch Star Trek, but I've seen the one with the whales" about.

Beyond that, look at any list of the top grossing films of all time. Sure, there's plenty of films with lots of action/adventure. But there's plenty of other types of films too. Just a quick look on Wikipedia gives me a list that includes E.T., The Lion King, The Chronicles of Narnia, Forrest Gump, The Sixth Sense, Ice Age: The Meltdown, The Passion of the Christ, Mamma Mia, and Night at the Museum in the top 50, among many others. And yet we can't have a variety of types of films that are successful at the box office?

Star Trek can and should do different types of stories. As I pointed out earlier, the six TOS films were not cookie cutter repeats of the same story. They were a wide variety of types of stories, all of which worked within the realm of Star Trek. It's when the TNG films tried to be too formulaic and not take risks that things went south.

The current Star Trek is a good, fun, exciting film. Now don't just duplicate it. Give us something equally fun and exciting, but in a different way. Try to do a carbon copy of the big action formula over and over again, and you're gonna drive this Trek into the ground too.
CoveTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2009, 10:38 PM   #165
urbandk
Commodore

CoveTom wrote: View Post
The current Star Trek is a good, fun, exciting film. Now don't just duplicate it. Give us something equally fun and exciting, but in a different way. Try to do a carbon copy of the big action formula over and over again, and you're gonna drive this Trek into the ground too.
QFT