MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old January 18 2010, 05:15 PM   #316
The Axeman
Commodore

Re: WIP - TMP Enterprise, deck by deck

I'd think 4 or 5 for the galaxy, that's a shockingly large ship.
Old January 18 2010, 05:31 PM   #317
AnyStar
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to AnyStar

I'd be more than happy to finish off my blueprinted Galaxy to give you a jumping off point! i even already have cross sections cut at deck heights.
Old January 18 2010, 06:21 PM   #318
CTM
Lieutenant Commander

Not planning a Galaxy class at this time. Far too big, and there are numerous fine deck-plans already out there (including semi-official ones, such as the set I have on my bookcase). Excelsior, OTOH, I envision much the way the art designers originally did: A larger, newer "Enterprise replacement" (the role it filled in ST-III). As such, I envision not much more ROLE than we saw Enterprise performing, but far more capable over the long haul. Having poured over Enterprise in this detail, I can tell you she is a bit of a cramped ship for 430 or so crew. Junior crewmen (All enlisted and Junior officers) HAVE to share rooms - if not even hot-bunk. There's just not enough space to fit everybody otherwise. R&R facilities are limited to the Rec Dec, the gym, botanical garden, and a small swimming pool. In short, think closer to Attack Sub than Missile Sub or Surface Ship for space. For a designed 5-year (60-month) cruise (assumption, I know) you of course include more amenities than you would for a 6-18 month cruise design (think some of the smaller FASA creations, such as a Locknar). Excelsiors would be designed to be much longer-legged - more amenities, better facilities, moderately larger crew requirement. It would permit them to operate well into the TNG era as viable ships long after the older Connies were retired from service.
Old January 18 2010, 06:51 PM   #319
havoc92
Commander

Send a message via Yahoo to havoc92

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
^^^ Especially if you ever try to tackle an Excelsior or, even more large, a Galaxy class, two years at least!
Lord.. (nightmare), I had someone ask about whether I planned doing a Galaxy and thought I'd burst a brain vessel just reading it. After a year of rough-ins on the FJ plans, I can't imagine doing a D. Two years might not be enough.
havoc92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2010, 08:19 PM   #320
CTM
Lieutenant Commander

Truth is, it's simply a matter of having the correct pre-fab modules to simply drop in wherever needed. The problem is that it would quickly become so monotonous as to rapidly suck any enjoyment out of the endeavor. Could I do it? Sure. For the right paycheck, any of these are manageable. For my own enjoyment? Naah, I'll stick to smaller, more (internally) interesting ships.
Old January 18 2010, 08:23 PM   #321
Saquist
Commodore

I support the Galaxy project as a multiperson project.
Saquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2010, 09:43 PM   #322
Ziz
Commodore

CTM wrote: View Post
Having poured over Enterprise in this detail, I can tell you she is a bit of a cramped ship for 430 or so crew. Junior crewmen (All enlisted and Junior officers) HAVE to share rooms - if not even hot-bunk. There's just not enough space to fit everybody otherwise.
So taking room sharing/hot bunking out of the equation, how many people should the ship be able to hold?
Old January 18 2010, 09:54 PM   #323
CTM
Lieutenant Commander

Without going back and counting quarters, I'd say somewhere around half that number, or even 1/3 - at least according to the deck plans I've based this one on. Some careful adjustments to quarters designs (reduce the size of the individual quarters, increase the actual numbers) and you might get back up to 50-60% of the stated crew compliment. The problem comes, when you do a personnel load-out for her, she NEEDS somewhere i.v.o. 430 - just to function (assumes 3 full shifts, either 18 or 24 hour days, with just a handful of designated Primary Staff functions not shift oriented - e.g. CO, CMO, Chief Engineer etc.), and even then she's kinda thinly staffed for some of the functions she needs to perform. The only way for a ship to properly match this mission profile *without* going to a modern Attack Sub style quartering system is to make her substantially larger - Excelsior essentially. I can see taking the mission profile the Enterprise is seen as doing, and building a ship explicitly to perform such, and it winding up being the Excelsior class.
Old January 19 2010, 01:41 AM   #324
Saquist
Commodore

I think the bunking would be somewhat defiant style.
Also I'd expect the secondary hull to have quarters as well for the staffed personnel that need to be there in case of emergency.

But the Enterprise has a Saucer radius that is 50 meters shorter than the Houston Astrodome which seats 62,400. I don't think the plans made a good use of space.
Old January 26 2010, 06:05 PM   #325
CTM
Lieutenant Commander

I worked on her last night, but got nowhere and wound up giving up on the changes. Nothing (yet) to show for that effort, but I may have better progress later this week.
Old January 26 2010, 06:07 PM   #326
Saquist
Commodore

That happened to me too.
Old January 26 2010, 06:52 PM   #327
AnyStar
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to AnyStar

me three
well, with all the times it's happened to me its more like me³

the best solution i've found for it is: jelly doughnut and BIGASS cup-o-coffee and try again!
Old January 26 2010, 11:16 PM   #328
CTM
Lieutenant Commander

AnyStar wrote: View Post
me three
well, with all the times it's happened to me its more like me³

the best solution i've found for it is: jelly doughnut and BIGASS cup-o-coffee and try again!
No dice. I'm on a significant (and successful) diet. Down over 30lbs since July, and about 30 to go (yes, I'm working on losing 60-75lbs in total). I've made it this far by not consuming such things.
Old January 27 2010, 01:46 PM   #329
Saquist
Commodore

Congratulations. That is really encouraging.
Keep it up because it's worth it to feel great and look your best.
Old February 2 2010, 03:40 PM   #330
Saquist
Commodore

CTM wrote: View Post
Ok. Got some preliminary process on C-deck and the crown of B-deck. This is by no means complete, but the forward (circular) part of the "bump" is roughed in. The remainder of the teardrop shape is going to take a great deal of work.
So if you're nearing Deck one does this mean you're getting close to completion or do you plan on going into a deeper detail.