Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old May 11 2009, 06:46 AM   #1
halkun
Ensign

Enterprise-D 1:1 Scale model, with decks, in Sketchup

Whee, I've picked up this project after putting it on hold for a while. Pictures follow... All the way to deck 3 (I'm working on the 4th deck now. only 38 left to go)

X-Ray view

Lots and lots of windows... (You can see the insides!)

I'll post more pictures if anyone is interested...
halkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2009, 07:04 AM   #2
kitsune
Captain

Re: Enterprise-D 1:1 Scale model, with decks, in Sketchup

Sweet. Please show us the inside of deck 1!
kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2009, 07:30 AM   #3
judge alba
senior street judge

hey thats looking good i wish you luck with the enormous task you've set yourself. there's a lot of rooms in the ent D. I'm looking forward to seeing the completed article
Firm as a mountain.
Strike as powerful as thunder.
judge alba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2009, 08:22 AM   #4
halkun
Ensign

kitsune wrote: View Post
Sweet. Please show us the inside of deck 1!
Here are some older WIPs

I'm using the Whitefire plans because 1) They are the original and 2) Okuda's are unnecessarily complex. I'm most likely not going to be calling it the "Enterprise" either. I may make it the U.S.S. Galaxy (NCC-1700) in tradition that it's the original, or my own number (NCC-1683) and probably call it the "Whitefire"
Some things that are interesting:
Sketchup is an architectural program that uses real world units of measurement. I found that when I scaled the pans to real-world sizes, everything was too small. People would be bumping their heads on the door frames and such. Also shuttles would not fit properly in the shuttlebay. The insides, for the most part, are quite consistent in scale so all I had to do was make the ship bigger to compensate. I'm also nudging around the skin of the ship and the placement of windows to better reflect what's inside. Also, because the skin is angular, there are a few more vaulted overheads (ceilings) that I took for granted.
By the way, here's the actual size of the ship

Published dimensions:
length: 842.5 meters
beam : 487 meters
depth : 137 meters

Real world dimensions
length : 1048.41 meters (a kilometer!)
beam : 738 meters(the saucer is much wider!)
Depth : 238 meters

Each deck is 4 meters high with an interndeck space of 70 Centimeters (That is the space between decks)

Last edited by halkun; May 11 2009 at 08:52 AM.
Old May 11 2009, 08:35 AM   #5
kitsune
Captain

Amazing detail. It's weird though that access between the bridge and the rest of deck 1 is so awkward.

I believe the official published length of the Galaxy class is 642.5m, not 842.5m.
kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2009, 09:12 AM   #6
halkun
Ensign

The access down to the lounge is a ramp. The lounge sits a half-deck below the bridge. There are a lot of "half-height" levels for no particular reasons on the first and second deck. Deck 2, for example, is split into an upper and lower deck because of the "modular" bridge above and the hangar bay roof below. I'm going to run into another slew a "half decks" when I get to the separation line. You can tell that the ship insides and external skin were never really designed to be cohesive. It was just designed to look cool.

And like I said, the published "official" dimensions don't work when you apply reality. (But then again, it's an imaginary ship and reality tends to get in the way anyway)

I was thinking of releasing this model when I'm done so others could create something from it. The turbolift network is there, and the turboshafts are all hollow. There are no doors or turbolift cars, but I'm sure some enterprising level guy could install them. You can walk around on the ship now. The polys are all double-sided. The rooms have transparent ceilings on the outside (so you can see in), but you can't see through the ceiling when inside. Also, as this is the Whitefire plans, there is no stellar cartography, whale ops, or anything like that. Has a whole multi-level forest deck though, which is cool!
Old May 11 2009, 11:17 AM   #7
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Very interesting!
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2009, 06:14 PM   #8
sojourner
Admiral

Good luck with this. Sketchup does not handle large files well, I would recommend breaking your decks out as separate files for the detail work and just having a master file for cutaway views.
Old May 11 2009, 06:30 PM   #9
halkun
Ensign

sojourner wrote: View Post
Good luck with this. Sketchup does not handle large files well, I would recommend breaking your decks out as separate files for the detail work and just having a master file for cutaway views.
Actually, I have each deck separated into multiple layers. Sketchup does an excellent job of culling when decks are not visible and even on my P4 with 3GB of ram, it is *very* responsive.
Here's an update. 4th Deck (Hangar bay 1/Upper Phaser bank)

This actually has the 3rd deck added and the associated truboshaft network. The turboshafts are actually on a separate layer so you can render that without the ship. Here's the turboshaft network for the first 4 decks.

Here is the actual deck 4 with some of the rooms extruded into 3D space. I placed a shuttlecraft next to a maintenance hangar so you can get a sense of scale. Here the hangar doors are 3.5 meters tall. The actual hangar bay is quite large standing in at about 3 decks high.

Here is a shot of the ceiling of the hangar bay (Floor removed for clarity)

(sorry, the pictures are a little big)
Old May 11 2009, 06:43 PM   #10
BolianAuthor
Writer, Battlestar Urantia

Send a message via AIM to BolianAuthor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BolianAuthor

This is amazingly awesome!
BolianAuthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 12:21 AM   #11
sojourner
Admiral

Welll, when you start detailing those decks and the poly count starts to climb is when you will have problems. Just flat decks have relatively few separate surfaces. A good example is every time you add a sphere. It may look like it is perfectly round to you, but Sketchup actually draws it geodesically with triangles. Curved surfaces in Sketchup (and most 3d programs) increase model size greatly.

Another thing I have learned using sketchup is to save often to different file names at different stages. This will let you go back to previous saves should you find your self at a dead end and having to "back up" to a certain step or area in the drawing process.
Old May 12 2009, 12:42 AM   #12
QuinnTV
Lieutenant Commander

Very, very cool idea. I'm looking forward to following this!
QuinnTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 05:34 AM   #13
regemet
Lieutenant Commander

I think these are brilliant deck interiors more please.
regemet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 07:37 PM   #14
Terror Grin
Captain

you guys working on these various deck-by-decks are doing some great work. keep it coming!
Old May 12 2009, 08:58 PM   #15
Capt Dazio
Lieutenant Junior Grade

It is really a magnificent work, halkun!
Your drawings interest me enormously. I am impatient to discover the continuation.
__________________________________________________ _________________________________
Current works: Scratchbuild of Shuttlebay 02 - TNG - http://trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=90666
Capt Dazio is offline   Reply With Quote