RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,702
Members: 24,833
Currently online: 414
Newest member: PlainSimplGarak

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old June 1 2010, 04:51 PM   #91
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Re: "Hi Christopher, I'm Nero"

I also denotes lack of any respect. His ship had just pretty much whipped up on the Kelven. His way of saying "I've got you by the balls, you're just a name from history that I have no attachment too".

Rob
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2010, 06:29 PM   #92
Sharr Khan
Rear Admiral

View Sharr Khan's Twitter Profile

I love both the line and how its delivered. Always makes me smile for some reason.

One, I like the casualness of the villain, he's at ease and perfectly sure of his cause.

Sharr
Sharr Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2010, 07:43 PM   #93
Ataja
Ensign

BenRoethig wrote: View Post
I don't think it was out of character at all. He was mocking pike by not giving him military courtesy and using Pike's first name instead of title.
I can definitly sign that
Ataja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2010, 09:03 AM   #94
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

I thought it was hilarious.
Old June 3 2010, 09:16 AM   #95
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

I reckon a poll would give it a massive thumbs up. It was perfectly in tone with the whole movie.
Old June 3 2010, 10:01 AM   #96
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

It's my favorite line in the entire movie...it's perfectly in character and delivered fantastically by Eric Bana. Indeed I believe as others have stated that Nero addressed Pike by his first name to mock him and out of disrespect. I also had a theory (although not canon) since Star Trek Countdown showed Nero conducting an extensive history of Enterprise's captains he probably felt like he knew Pike so he greeted him by his first name.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2010, 08:30 PM   #97
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

It soundded patently like a pandering to young people for whom casual is right and good, like Jim's hair on "The Office," and untucked button-down shirts.

We're all casuals now, so Nero sounds hip. But it sounded like some of the out-of-place cute lines in the TNG movies, esp. from Data: "Lock and load." Or, "Yes!!" when the ENT blows something up (can't remember what). The obviously "cool" line of the movie, if ya know what I mean.

Like it if you like it, I'm just offering my opinion, since I think that's what the OP asked.
Old June 4 2010, 10:05 AM   #98
Sharr Khan
Rear Admiral

View Sharr Khan's Twitter Profile

plynch wrote: View Post
It soundded patently like a pandering to young people for whom casual is right and good, like Jim's hair on "The Office," and untucked button-down shirts.

We're all casuals now, so Nero sounds hip. But it sounded like some of the out-of-place cute lines in the TNG movies, esp. from Data: "Lock and load." Or, "Yes!!" when the ENT blows something up (can't remember what). The obviously "cool" line of the movie, if ya know what I mean.

Like it if you like it, I'm just offering my opinion, since I think that's what the OP asked.

So you would have preferred Nero behave and talk with the Queen's English and mannerisms?

That kind of formality causes Trek to be very stale and it has little to do with pandering (its only pandering when "I don't like it") but rather setting an organic tone for the story.

Why should a civilian such as Nero act with military formality?

I'm being somewhat rhetorical - Trek as a franchise has blurred the lines between civil and military and we expect (wrongly) everyone in the universe to act like StarFleet recruits.

Its actually more out of place for him to address Pike, or anyone else in some formal manner. He's a miner/pirate not an ambassador from the empire.
Sharr Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2010, 01:39 PM   #99
I am not Spock
Commodore

Loved it. I laughed out loud. Nero was clearly being completely condescending, and disrespecting Pike's authority. It's a perfectly villainous thing to do!
Old June 5 2010, 12:11 AM   #100
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Deckerd wrote: View Post
I reckon a poll would give it a massive thumbs up. It was perfectly in tone with the whole movie.
The line (and Bana) gets a wonderful reaction - I saw it at least six times at the cinema here in Australia.

My favourite reaction, though, was the Aussie family in front of me at one screening. The Dad said to his wife, as they began leaving during the closing credits, "That was great. I thought that Eric Bana was supposed to be in this movie?"
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2010, 12:26 AM   #101
J. Allen
Science Is Magic™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

I may have said it previously somewhere in this old thread, but for me, the idea was that Nero greeted people in a way that was a bit off putting because Nero himself was off putting. He was unbalanced. He delivered the line with the type of tone that suggested he was one of those nice guys who just one day went and shot 20 people in a mall.

I thought the delivery was perfect for that kind of tone.
Brony Kingdom
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2010, 01:39 AM   #102
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

Sharr Khan wrote: View Post
plynch wrote: View Post

So you would have preferred Nero behave and talk with the Queen's English and mannerisms?
I think I would have preferred a line that didn't seem so obviously "cool" and took me out of my suspension of disbelief.

I would have actually preferred no "evil villain bent on vengeance b/c of a killed wife," but we often don't get what we prefer.

Peace be with you.
Old June 5 2010, 02:33 PM   #103
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

It sounded warm and chilling at the same time. Which was extra chilling.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2010, 03:28 PM   #104
darkshadow0001
Rear Admiral

Docbrown777 wrote: View Post
Did anyone else burst out laughing at Eric Bana's delivery of that line. (in a good way)

Nero says it with the tone you would expect someone at a company picnic to introduce themselves, "Hey Christopher! I'm Nero. I work in accounting."

I don't know, I just loved that delivery. For some reason it just stuck out to me.
I loved it. Totally different from previous Treks, usually introductions were always so formal. This time, it seemed so informal it was laughable. I liked it when he would respond with just "Hello". This has got to be one of the best Trek films to date (besides TWOK )
darkshadow0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2010, 04:48 AM   #105
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I loved it.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote