RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,430
Posts: 5,507,136
Members: 25,131
Currently online: 571
Newest member: Robert100a

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 11 2009, 01:41 PM   #46
jamestyler
Commodore
 
jamestyler's Avatar
 
Location: jamestyler
View jamestyler's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to jamestyler
Re: "Hi Christopher, I'm Nero"

When I first heard the line for some reason I thought of the Joker in Dark Knight.

He's not a military officer, he's not the type to let out a huge dramatic speech, he's a batshit crazy miner. Works for me.
__________________
+ The Picard Maneuver | Serious stuff. Sexy spandex.
jamestyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2009, 02:21 PM   #47
teacake
Fleet Admiral
 
teacake's Avatar
 
Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.
Re: "Hi Christopher, I'm Nero"

It has grown on me because it is so picturesquely the "banality of evil". A true sociopath. I like how he veers from this laid back weirdness to losing control in a second.

I think they wanted something different from the classy mastermind villain. I do think he's too much of a thug but in some ways that line alone redeems the character from being only a thug.
__________________

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2009, 02:24 PM   #48
PorthosShadow
Fleet Captain
 
PorthosShadow's Avatar
 
Location: Hermans Head
Re: "Hi Christopher, I'm Nero"

I didn't bother me because after all, this a guy who has seen his entire world destroyed, they've been waiting patiently for 25 years to get their revenge so its not too much of a stretch to think Nero has gone a little loopy.
__________________
"India must be the future because we all know there are no neck ties in the future and everyone can do math"
PorthosShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2009, 02:25 PM   #49
TrekGuide.com
Fleet Captain
 
TrekGuide.com's Avatar
 
Location: California, Earth, Sector 001
Re: "Hi Christopher, I'm Nero"

OtterVomit wrote: View Post
I figured this line and the way it was delivered was indicative of Nero's Blue-Collar mining background and that he was not accustomed to having discussions in a formal manner.
Exactly. He's just a laborer who operates heavy equipment, not a military officer.

Imagine if some bulldozer operator from New Jersey drove through the wall of Osama bin Laden's hut. Would he say, "Greetings, Mr. bin Laden. I represent the United States of America," or would it be more in character for him to say, "Hi, Osama. I'm Vinnie. Let's talk"?
TrekGuide.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2009, 02:25 PM   #50
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: "Hi Christopher, I'm Nero"

Docbrown777 wrote: View Post
Did anyone else burst out laughing at Eric Bana's delivery of that line. (in a good way)

Nero says it with the tone you would expect someone at a company picnic to introduce themselves, "Hey Christopher! I'm Nero. I work in accounting."

I don't know, I just loved that delivery. For some reason it just stuck out to me.

I loved it too. Yeah, at the Friday night showing a lot of people laughed. Bana was great in this.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2009, 03:01 PM   #51
Agent Richard07
Retired
 
Re: "Hi Christopher, I'm Nero"

jamestyler wrote: View Post
When I first heard the line for some reason I thought of the Joker in Dark Knight.
I was just about to add that. His delivery does remind me of Heath Ledger's Joker.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2009, 03:10 PM   #52
DiSiLLUSiON
Commodore
 
DiSiLLUSiON's Avatar
 
Location: The Netherlands
Re: "Hi Christopher, I'm Nero"

I loved that line. It made the villain seem more real. Not every villain is an evil mastermind all of the time, you know.
DiSiLLUSiON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2009, 03:12 PM   #53
CommanderRaytas
Rear Admiral
 
CommanderRaytas's Avatar
 
Location: AT4W...WITH SCIENCE!!!!!
Re: "Hi Christopher, I'm Nero"

^ That's what I meant. He was sort of down-to-earth. That makes it easier to understand him, perceive him as a person.
__________________
It was a nice day ... AND THEN EVIL CAME!The Collected Works of Stephen King, condensed version
CommanderRaytas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2009, 03:14 PM   #54
QuasarVM
Fleet Captain
 
QuasarVM's Avatar
 
Re: "Hi Christopher, I'm Nero"

Perfect. And perfect because it was so totally unexpected.
QuasarVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2009, 03:32 PM   #55
Hunter X
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Vancouver
Re: "Hi Christopher, I'm Nero"

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
jamestyler wrote: View Post
When I first heard the line for some reason I thought of the Joker in Dark Knight.
I was just about to add that. His delivery does remind me of Heath Ledger's Joker.
Thirded. Specifically, the scene in the hospital when the Joker is dressed up as a nurse and sits down next to Harvey Dent.

"Hiiii"
Hunter X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2009, 03:40 PM   #56
jamestyler
Commodore
 
jamestyler's Avatar
 
Location: jamestyler
View jamestyler's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to jamestyler
Re: "Hi Christopher, I'm Nero"

Hunter X wrote: View Post
Thirded. Specifically, the scene in the hospital when the Joker is dressed up as a nurse and sits down next to Harvey Dent.

"Hiiii"
AHA! Since posting that I've had that line in my head and it was annoying the hell out of me as I couldn't place it in the film.

I was close to watching DK again just to settle that in my head.
__________________
+ The Picard Maneuver | Serious stuff. Sexy spandex.
jamestyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2009, 05:35 PM   #57
indranee
Vice Admiral
 
indranee's Avatar
 
Location: Warrrrrrrrrshington, DC
Re: "Hi Christopher, I'm Nero"

T'Paul wrote: View Post
Totally out of character and shouldn't have made it into the movie.
why do you say that? what exactly is Nero's "character", in your estimate? enlighten me, please.
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 02:11 AM   #58
Agent Richard07
Retired
 
Re: "Hi Christopher, I'm Nero"

I saw the movie a second time and Nero's line sounded a little more ordinary. He was just being frank. There wasn't much more to it. I guess it was so ear-catching because it wasn't formal or stilted like a lot of other lines like this one from previous movies/episodes.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 02:14 AM   #59
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral
 
USS Triumphant's Avatar
 
Location: Go ahead, caller. I'm listening...
Re: "Hi Christopher, I'm Nero"

teacake wrote: View Post
It has grown on me because it is so picturesquely the "banality of evil".
"banality". Bana. I ... see what you did there.

__________________
As the brilliant philosopher once said... Everybody, have fun tonight. Everybody, Wang Chung tonight.
USS Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 02:19 AM   #60
32JaX
Lieutenant
 
32JaX's Avatar
 
Location: the 'ville
Re: "Hi Christopher, I'm Nero"

I thought it was a great delivery and was meant to get a laugh. Which it did in both audiences I watched it with.
32JaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
christopher pike, nero

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.