Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 11 2009, 01:16 AM   #1
CaptainCanada
Admiral

The Princess and the Frog trailer

Beginning with an obligatory "hey, remember all these classic movies?" plug to build up audience goodwill.

You get a bit more sense of the plot, including the major deviation from the standard story; I was wondering how they were going to enlarge something that's barely short-film into feature-length.

Animation looks good.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2009, 10:09 AM   #2
Thespeckledkiwi
Vice Admiral

Location: TheBolianChef is no more! It's theSpeckledKiwi now!
Re: The Princess and the Frog trailer

Wow, it does look very good.
Thespeckledkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2009, 02:43 PM   #3
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

Like the look of the new villian. Reminds me of the baddie from Live and Let Die.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2009, 03:13 PM   #4
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Location: Beyond the wall of sleep, somewhere south of Seattle.

Damn I've missed Disney 2-D animation so I'm gonna be all over this.

Dear God, please don't let it suck.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2009, 04:43 PM   #5
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

Looks good. But how long until someone says it's racist?
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2009, 07:28 PM   #6
Thespeckledkiwi
Vice Admiral

Location: TheBolianChef is no more! It's theSpeckledKiwi now!

They already have. Hence the change of name for the Princess.
Thespeckledkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2009, 07:36 PM   #7
Bacl
Fleet Captain

We elected a black president. That means racism is dead.

But good thing sexism is still alive and well!
Old May 11 2009, 08:12 PM   #8
melancholymecha
Rear Admiral

I had to see it without sound, but it looks cute!
I still dont know why, if they wanted a black princess, they didnt just make a story set in Africa...or just adapt ther own musical version of Aida...

instead they have to(I assume) bring in some foreign royalty visiting the USA setting, which just seems kinda convoluted to me...
melancholymecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2009, 09:01 PM   #9
CaptainCanada
Admiral

She was originally a chambermaid; African-American groups objected to that (despite it being good enough for Cinderella), so she got bumped up to this ritzier status, while still being from New Orleans (the prince in question is an actual prince, from a fake Mediterranean country).

- Homer Simpson
Old May 11 2009, 11:23 PM   #10
Casi
Lieutenant

I'm...I dunno. I worry about this film. I mean...it just seems like it can't win you know? We've heard how racist disney is supposed to be because they've never had an african american princess. And now they've made one, and that act is getting them called racist. I think it's just a no win situation for the movie itself.

That being said, I do miss 2-D animation. I don't know how I feel about the premise for this though. I remember getting chills when I saw the previews for say...Pocahontas and Mulan. I get no chills from this. I'm thinking it will be cute...but I don't see the Disney magic in it.
Casi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 12:39 AM   #11
DBR
Vice Admiral

I simply don't think the market is ripe for a 2D animated movie that is featuring anything but fuzzy animals. Traditionally animated movies aren't dead, but I don;t think this movie will be the one to rejuvenate the medium.
Old May 12 2009, 12:44 AM   #12
Casi
Lieutenant

DBR wrote: View Post
I simply don't think the market is ripe for a 2D animated movie that is featuring anything but fuzzy animals. Traditionally animated movies aren't dead, but I don;t think this movie will be the one to rejuvenate the medium.

I don't think it's a daring enough idea to rejuvenate anything, let alone a dying medium.
Old May 12 2009, 12:49 AM   #13
CaptainCanada
Admiral

DBR wrote: View Post
I simply don't think the market is ripe for a 2D animated movie that is featuring anything but fuzzy animals.
Frogs aren't fuzzy, but they are animals.

All the talk about 2D vs. 3D misses the mark, I think, regarding the primary audience, ie, children. They don't really make decisions about what movies they want to see along those lines, and it's not like they're biassed against 2D anyway (pretty much all the cartoons they watch are 2D).

- Homer Simpson
Old May 12 2009, 01:02 AM   #14
Casi
Lieutenant

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
Frogs aren't fuzzy, but they are animals.

All the talk about 2D vs. 3D misses the mark, I think, regarding the primary audience, ie, children. They don't really make decisions about what movies they want to see along those lines, and it's not like they're biassed against 2D anyway (pretty much all the cartoons they watch are 2D).

I disagree. One of the things that has always set the Disney full length animated films apart from the rest of the cartoon movies out there is that they were meant to be enjoyed by adults as well as children. They've got adult messages as well as childhood morals. They teach lessens while entertaining. Even their less serious movies, like Emperor's New Groove, still had plenty of adult humor. So I don't think the opinion of the children is really the selling point with these big 2-D movies.

The bottom line for me is that it just doesn't feel like a big Disney movie. I may be proved wrong, but from the previews I've seen...it seems more on a level with movies like Anastasia than Lion King or Mulan.
Old May 12 2009, 01:29 AM   #15
DBR
Vice Admiral

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
For a movie to be hugely successful, I think the best chances for that happening would be if the movie appealed to as large of an audience as possible.

I guess my last post was more of an aimless comment conveying my impressions of this movie, the state of 2D, and Disney's past successes and failures. Fuzzy animals or not, this movie does nothing for me so far, and I don't see it being very successful.