Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Closed Thread

Old May 16 2009, 12:35 AM   #91
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Re: OMFG MASSIVE SPOLIERS: NeoTrek Engine Musings

Timo wrote: View Post
We've seen labels in trek that have UP arrows on lift doors set on THE BRIDGE, so I don't think we can invest too much in the signage, do you?
Umm, where? Or do you mean the generic turbolift signs that have arrows pointing in four directions no matter where the sign?

Anyway STXI seems to confirm that there's plenty of room at the top, above the bridge, so...

Timo Saloniemi
Bridge is deck 1, and that graphic was in a universe where there wasn't extra room above the bridge so far as I know.

And I don't buy 'generic' ... the thing about those graphics is that they are supposed to be comprehensible to all sorts of critters, so having an arrow going up on a spot where there is no up is just not cool, unless you're just into messing with their bulbous heads.
Old May 16 2009, 01:20 AM   #92
Closet Trekkie
Ensign

Broker wrote: View Post
Deuterium (the matter) is injected tino a chamber while Dilithium (anti-matter) isinjected into the same chamber, however that's done.
Dilithium isn't antimatter.

I think the antimatter they use in the old canon is anti-hydrogen, but I could be wrong. In any case, it's not dilithium. Dilithium is only used to control the matter/antimatter reaction.

When they energize a dilithium crystal, anti-hydrogen atoms will travel within the crystalline structure without touching it. They inject a tiny stream of anti-hydrogen into one side of a carefully shaped crystal and a stream of deuterium into the other. The reaction takes place within the crystal and plasma shoots out of it and down the EPS conduits.

The molecular structure of the dilithium crystal deteriorates over time, so they had to keep replacing it in TOS. By TNG, they had technology to recrystallize it and it was no longer an issue.
Old May 16 2009, 03:00 AM   #93
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

trevanian wrote: View Post

Bridge is deck 1, and that graphic was in a universe where there wasn't extra room above the bridge so far as I know.

And I don't buy 'generic' ... the thing about those graphics is that they are supposed to be comprehensible to all sorts of critters, so having an arrow going up on a spot where there is no up is just not cool, unless you're just into messing with their bulbous heads.
Some elevators have "up" buttons on the top floor. Make of that what you will.

I don't assume, however, that Starfleet would let just any old bulbous headed critter operate a turbolift on the bridge; the ones that would, presumably, have Starfleet training and I'd hate to think they'd be so easily befuddled by an arrow.
Old May 16 2009, 02:19 PM   #94
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post

Some elevators have "up" buttons on the top floor. Make of that what you will.

I don't assume, however, that Starfleet would let just any old bulbous headed critter operate a turbolift on the bridge; the ones that would, presumably, have Starfleet training and I'd hate to think they'd be so easily befuddled by an arrow.
Just goin' by what GR said to Lee Cole, the graphics designer. But of course, she is the one who put Enterprise-Class on the simulator in TWOK to indicate that the refit is Enteprise-Class, something most of you won't accept either.
Old May 16 2009, 07:28 PM   #95
drychlick
Captain

i saw the new movie it was good ! but i HATE how they wape out 43 year of history ! i love the oid tos engine room! i hope people will remember the tos long after this movie is forgotin love dr
Old May 16 2009, 08:18 PM   #96
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

But of course, she is the one who put Enterprise-Class on the simulator in TWOK to indicate that the refit is Enteprise-Class, something most of you won't accept either.
Well, good then. The graphics show that turbolifts go up from the bridge and that the Enterprise is Enterprise-class, and we can consider both of them equally wrong.
Old May 16 2009, 08:42 PM   #97
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

It isn't actually wiped out, the movie is set in an alternate timeline.
Old May 16 2009, 11:52 PM   #98
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Ronald Held wrote: View Post
If Spock is so out of character as to not spend the rest of his days trying to restore/get back into his own timeline (his loyalty should be to his Kirk, just as the mirror universe seemed to find his loyalty with our TOS Kirk), then it is as good as or as bad as being wiped out rather than being an 'alternate' ...
Old May 16 2009, 11:53 PM   #99
trevanian
Rear Admiral

But of course, she is the one who put Enterprise-Class on the simulator in TWOK to indicate that the refit is Enteprise-Class, something most of you won't accept either.
Well, good then. The graphics show that turbolifts go up from the bridge and that the Enterprise is Enterprise-class, and we can consider both of them equally wrong.
She didn't put the one on the bridge, silly. We'll need to go on a witchhunt for that, just like they did with the guy who airbrushed Nimoy's ears on the original promo brochure. I'm sure an innocent will be punished, but that's tradition as well ...
Old May 17 2009, 01:39 AM   #100
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

Ronald Held wrote: View Post
Well, there are several mindsets on what reality really is... and we know that on occasion Trek played with the "parallel realities" approach. However, there's not a lick of real science in support of that, and if you really think about what a "dimension" is (just another "direction of travel" within a common reality)... it seems unlikely to me and to many others.

I'm of the opinion, rather, that "every instant, technically, already exists." That is, although we only perceive time one instant at a time, and our perception of time is "sliding down a slope" at a particular rate... all time already exists, just like all X, Y, and Z coordinates already exist, even if you're at only one particular location when measured.

If that perspective is accurate, well... any change in the past destroys what "might have been"... every choice has ultimate consequences.

I find any other perspective to be silly fantasy, seemingly to infer that no choice has any real consequence, because all choices have been made and all consequences have been faced, in an infinite number of "parallel existences." It sounds like wishful thinking to me, not science. Like something a scriptwriter would come up with, not a physicist. (And yes, I know that there are a few people who practice science who've posited this sort of thing... but they're engaging in fantasy, not hard science, when they do it.)

SO... from my worldview... this movie destroyed all previous "Star Trek." It erased it, except in the memory of a single anomaly who existed in a "loop of time" which has been closed and deleted. The Abrams-verse is the "real" universe now... the previous one has been, in essence, destroyed. That "Spock-Prime" remembers it (or that we can go back and rewatch our old "memories" of it) is irrelevant. From a "future stories" standpoint, this is all that there is. The rest is done... completed... gone. Nothing but memories.

I had been hopeful that this movie would have ended with Kirk and Co somehow managing to deploy the "red matter" into the star which, in the future, would destroy Romulus... perhaps instead of having the "big final battle" (which is such a cliche, anyway).

My version of this movie would have had the "nuTrek" crew on the "nuTrek" Enterprise engaging Nero, at the cost of their ship and their lives, to allow "Spock Prime" (or heck, even nuSpock) to pre-empt the future event... prevent Hobus from going "hypernova"... and suddenly, all is as it ought to have been, with the final scene in the movie being Spock doing a "pass the baton" bit with his protege... a non-tatooed Romulan named Nero.

That would have been a "Trek-style" ending. I'm just sick of "let's blow up lots of stuff and kill the mustache-twirling villain." That's not what Trek used to be.

By this argument... "The Squire of Gothos" would have ended with the Enterprise blowing up Trelane. "Arena" would have ended with Kirk wiping out the Gorn and the "higher powers" as well. "Errand of Mercy" would have ended with a massive battle. And on and on...

Trek was never about "blowin' up stuff real good" nor was it about one-dimensional villains. Yes, Nero has a great backstory... shame it wasn't in the movie and you have to read a comic book to get it. As far as the flick is concerned... Nero's a classic cheesy one-dimensional baddie.
Old May 17 2009, 01:43 AM   #101
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

She didn't put the one on the bridge, silly. We'll need to go on a witchhunt for that, just like they did with the guy who airbrushed Nimoy's ears on the original promo brochure. I'm sure an innocent will be punished, but that's tradition as well ...
To be fair, I tend to LIKE the "this symbol means this" universal concept. The "box with arrows in all directions" seems to be a universally-understandable concept for a turbolift. I don't see any reason why you need to omit an arrow if you're on the top floor, bottom floor, or have an inpenetrable wall to one side or another... or, for that matter, why there doesn't seem to be a "depth arrow" in the diagram (surely lift cars occasionally travel normal to the door opening, don't they?)

Certain symbols are well-understood, just by virtue of the symbol. The intention, as I understand it, with TMP's graphics (which I DO think were overdone a bit) was to create a 23rd-century version of the "Drivers manual" symbol recognition chart.

The "lift car with arrows in horizontal and vertical directions" strikes me as very much that sort of thing.
Old May 17 2009, 02:12 AM   #102
Good
Commander

I find it hilarious that after years of making up treknical stuff based on random pieces of plastic glued to a model or pencil cases turned into prop molds, we now find ourselves defining the inner workings of an FTL starship engine in such a way that it stays consistent to the internal layout of a brewery.

Still, it's fun!
Old May 17 2009, 02:50 AM   #103
Gagarin
Commander

Good wrote: View Post
I find it hilarious that after years of making up treknical stuff based on random pieces of plastic glued to a model or pencil cases turned into prop molds, we now find ourselves defining the inner workings of an FTL starship engine in such a way that it stays consistent to the internal layout of a brewery.

Still, it's fun!
BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Old May 17 2009, 03:33 AM   #104
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron

It's cause we like beer.

"My dream is to eat candy and poop emeralds. I'm halfway successful."

Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources
Old May 17 2009, 04:09 AM   #105
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Cary L. Brown wrote: View Post
My version of this movie would have had the "nuTrek" crew on the "nuTrek" Enterprise engaging Nero, at the cost of their ship and their lives, to allow "Spock Prime" (or heck, even nuSpock) to pre-empt the future event... prevent Hobus from going "hypernova"... and suddenly, all is as it ought to have been, with the final scene in the movie being Spock doing a "pass the baton" bit with his protege... a non-tatooed Romulan named Nero.

That would have been a "Trek-style" ending.
Not having read the comic or seen the movie, my op may well be valueless, but that sounds like a great damn ending to me.

Also alarmingly close to my old concept for a MAJOR MATT MASON movie ... here's hoping Tom Hanks somehow taps into the collective consciousness and uses something like it for his MMM flick.
Closed Thread