Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Abrams To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek 3 Casting Rumor Reactions
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek Comics Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Closed Thread

Old May 15 2009, 12:51 AM   #76
Undead
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Undead
Re: OMFG MASSIVE SPOLIERS: NeoTrek Engine Musings

[Homer] Mmmmm.... alcohol fueled starship....[/Homer]

"If you think you're brave enough to walk the path of honor, then follow me into the dragon's den."

Knight Exemplar
Old May 15 2009, 03:17 AM   #77
Manticore
Rear Admiral

Cary L. Brown wrote: View Post
Colonel Midnight wrote: View Post
^ It's a Plot Drive. Really -- I doubt if TPTB really gave it that much thought...

Only Trek fans would obsess about it. (In a good way, of course. )

Cheers,
-CM-
Any "Red Dwarf" fans in here?

We know that this thing was shot in a brewery... soooo...

It's a "Hop Drive." Invented by Holly, of course...
Heh, I figured that the vats were just sewage treatment, especially considering that they were apparently near a water processing area. And considering what's really in them, I don't think that I'm too far off.

(Beer sucks. )
Old May 15 2009, 05:06 AM   #78
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Herkimer Jitty wrote: View Post
I thought of it as a multi-cylinder engine. They probably have a dilithium room under it like the one in TOS, forgot the episode.
That's pretty much been my take on the TOS setup for a while now. The dilithium pedastal takes the place of the carburetor.

Unicron wrote: View Post
[Homer] Mmmmm.... alcohol fueled starship....[/Homer]
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Old May 15 2009, 07:35 AM   #79
ST-One
Vice Admiral

Closet Trekkie wrote: View Post
So what were all the pipes and tanks for?
Water-storage and getting it from one place to another.

I have to ask again: Where do you think Deuterium is found in?
Old May 15 2009, 08:06 AM   #80
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

ST-One wrote: View Post
You'd think they'd have extracted the heavy hydrogen from the water before fueling a spaceship, since there's no reason to lug all that extra H2o around if you don't have to.

And why can't the water in those systems be for drinking, restroom facilities and the like? They have to get from somewhere.
Old May 15 2009, 08:16 AM   #81
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
You'd think they'd have extracted the heavy hydrogen from the water before fueling a spaceship, since there's no reason to lug all that extra H2o around if you don't have to.

And why can't the water in those systems be for drinking, restroom facilities and the like? They have to get from somewhere.
Kirk: "Are you ok?"

Scotty: "My head's spinning, I'm soaked, and I think I pissed myself in there, but I'll be fine."

----

Enterprise Crew Quarters

Ensign Cupcake: "Boy, the water sure is fresh and tasty on this ship!"
Old May 15 2009, 09:31 AM   #82
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

Herkimer Jitty wrote: View Post
Enterprise Crew Quarters

Ensign Cupcake: "Boy, the water sure is fresh and tasty on this ship!"

Add another one to the pile of facts about Cupcake.
Old May 15 2009, 10:59 AM   #83
Closet Trekkie
Ensign

It still sort of bugs me that Scotty goes to the desperate length of ejecting several reactor components of the warp core just to generate a very large explosion. Wouldn't he just eject the antimatter containers and save a perfectly working reactor?

Unless....

Perhaps newCanon antimatter containment technology isn't so advanced. It might be too dangerous to transport antimatter around a ship, so maybe they build little standalone matter/antimatter reactors that have their supplies of antimatter sealed inside. It'd be like the way current-day nuclear subs have their uranium sealed in their reactors.

So a starship would be powered by several of these reactors, the exact number of which would depend mostly on the ship's power requirements and range -- as well as a variety of safety, availability, and serviceability factors. These little warp reactors and their supporting hardware would be collectively referred to as the warp core. (or maybe now it's "warp corps"?)

I'd like to imagine that at this stage, they know how to use dilithium to store antimatter safely for long periods of time, but they haven't quite figured out how to use it to control a M/AM reaction yet. The M/AM reaction in a newCanon ship would be far less controlled and efficient than it'd be in the dilithium chamber of an oldCanon ship. It'd generate a lot more wasted heat and require much more extensive cooling. Which, naturally, would mean a lot of plumbing. All this excessive heat would be turned to plain old electricity, carried throughout the ship on superconducting cables inside yet more piping.

Man, I hope one of J.J.A.'s writers is paying at least as much attention to this as I am.
Old May 15 2009, 12:58 PM   #84
ST-One
Vice Admiral

Well, the labels on the pipes clearly state 'Inert Reactant' (we can see this even with the camera moving around).

Perhaps they store as heavy water because it's safer that way, and only extract the necessary heavy hydrogen when needed. The same probably goes for the extraction of the anti-hydrogen.

Spice it up with some technobabble and it would work
Old May 15 2009, 02:25 PM   #85
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Well, the labels on the pipes clearly state 'Inert Reactant' (we can see this even with the camera moving around).

[snip]

Spice it up with some technobabble and it would work
We've seen labels in trek that have UP arrows on lift doors set on THE BRIDGE, so I don't think we can invest too much in the signage, do you?

And when you invoke the word technobabble, shouldn't the phrase preceding its usage be 'dumb it down' rather than 'spice it up'?
Old May 15 2009, 03:15 PM   #86
Timo
Admiral

We've seen labels in trek that have UP arrows on lift doors set on THE BRIDGE, so I don't think we can invest too much in the signage, do you?
Umm, where? Or do you mean the generic turbolift signs that have arrows pointing in four directions no matter where the sign?

Anyway STXI seems to confirm that there's plenty of room at the top, above the bridge, so...

Timo Saloniemi
Old May 15 2009, 04:35 PM   #87
ST-One
Vice Admiral

Timo wrote: View Post
Umm, where? Or do you mean the generic turbolift signs that have arrows pointing in four directions no matter where the sign?

Anyway STXI seems to confirm that there's plenty of room at the top, above the bridge, so...

Timo Saloniemi
Old May 15 2009, 04:52 PM   #88
jhanna1701
Cadet

Why can't we just "assume" that even though Scotty said "core" he really just meant "anti-matter pods"? You know, dumb it down for the non-engineering types on the bridge. Wouldn't that simplify things?
Old May 15 2009, 06:16 PM   #89
Manticore
Rear Admiral

jhanna1701 wrote: View Post
Why can't we just "assume" that even though Scotty said "core" he really just meant "anti-matter pods"? You know, dumb it down for the non-engineering types on the bridge. Wouldn't that simplify things?
I still don't see why the "Core" can't have multiple reaction chambers. I rather liked that departure, and it makes the new core in TMP (yes, yes, I know, different universe, but not the point! ) seem more advanced.
Old May 15 2009, 10:31 PM   #90
Broker
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I don't know if this has been addressed or not. But I saw the debate was going on, thought I'd toss in my two cents.
Scotty did say "core" but that could just as easily be a way of saying the element that powers the engines. For the sake of argument, lets say that the ship works the same way as we're used to. Deuterium (the matter) is injected tino a chamber while Dilithium (anti-matter) isinjected into the same chamber, however that's done. they react, the "go juice" travels to the nacelles, the nacells do all the warping of sapcetime, ship goes fast.
So assuming that and figuring that Deuterium, probably isn't terribly volatile and Dilithium is, I speculate that Scotty ejected the anti-matter containment bottles. The most explosive part of the reactor assembly.
Of course, I may have some of my treknology wrong on how it all works, don't have my manuals in front of me But suffice to say that I think Scotty ejected the anti-matter and made it go boom. Deuterium is still on board, dilithium crystals are still on board, the warp core, wherever it's hidden (I am gonna say it's horizontal and hidden below decks somewhere, just like I have for years with the TOS core) is still on board. They're just out of anti-matter. They probably have spare containers around somewhere so all they'd have to do is plug them in and make some new anti-matter.
Sound reasonable?
Closed Thread