Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old October 3 2010, 08:52 PM   #646
swaaye
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Star Trek TNG Remastered?

Almost all of the live action is film yeah. Unless there are effects composited onto the film.

The models seemed to have been filmed with video, hence why the DVDs are a nasty mixture of telecined film (live action) and 30fps video (models). Although there are some model shots in the first few seasons that seem to have been shot on film because they are telecined.... Maybe the ILM stuff.

It must have been much easier and quicker to do the model shots and such on video. Obviously these guys were under insane time pressure and the show got progressively more space action.

It'll be a bit of a shame to lose the model shots in a HD release but the models were not built to withstand that kind of image quality. They have a lot of flaws that don't show up too much in 480p. But we'll start seeming crooked stickers and stuff if we can examine them in 1080p. Especially with that 4 ft model and its over-the-top hull detail.
swaaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2010, 01:21 AM   #647
Harvey
Admiral

I don't think the models were filmed on video, but the compositing was surely done on video.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2010, 03:28 AM   #648
Destructor
Commodore

Harvey wrote: View Post
I don't think the models were filmed on video, but the compositing was surely done on video.
I certainly hope that, if they do remaster, they don't entirely replace to ENT with a CGI version. I'd love to see some of the model shots in HD.
Destructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2010, 03:48 AM   #649
Harvey
Admiral

Well, you can see a few of them in Star Trek: Generations, as I recall, but I echo your sentiment. Though I can see certain advantages to replacing the visual effects with digital versions (i.e. the effects which don't match on screen dialogue in "Timescape," to name just one example).

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2010, 04:09 AM   #650
Destructor
Commodore

Yeah, it'd probably be the most efficient way to do it, but there are a LOT of shots of the Enterprise just cruising through space, so it might be cheaper to just grab the original FX shots of these and recomposit them in HD.
Destructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2010, 04:03 PM   #651
Anwar
Vice Admiral

What I was kind of hoping for (and I'm sure this is buried at the start of the post, from like 2 years ago) is that they could replace some of those scenes of the ENT-D flying with an Excelsior and replacing them with some other ship classes. Just for variety's sake.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2010, 04:22 PM   #652
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Anwar wrote: View Post
What I was kind of hoping for (and I'm sure this is buried at the start of the post, from like 2 years ago) is that they could replace some of those scenes of the ENT-D flying with an Excelsior and replacing them with some other ship classes. Just for variety's sake.
Considering what we got for TOS Remastered, that certainly will happen at some point. What class(es) will replace the Excelsiors is really the big question. I think Nebulas and Ambassadors would be good choices.
Old October 5 2010, 06:09 PM   #653
Anwar
Vice Admiral

I think so too. Maybe in the later seasons they can show Akiras, Norways, Steamrunners, etc. A way of retroactively showing us when the DS9/First Contact ships began their production.
Old October 5 2010, 08:54 PM   #654
swaaye
Lieutenant Commander

How about a CGI model of the Ambassador class as Probert originally conceived it but which couldn't be built due to cost and time constraints?
swaaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2010, 02:51 AM   #655
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Yeah, that would be cool.
Old October 8 2010, 05:20 AM   #656
billcosby
Commodore

Well, they will need to do something.

TNG is very dear to my heart, but on a big screen the quality falls apart on DVD and it's a little bit nasty. Some shots are better than others, of course. There's a scene of a K'Vort firing (they used it several times, I'm pretty sure it was in Yesterday's Enterprise also) where you can see a video distortion line pass over the ship as it moves.

The show (more than) deserves the TOS remastered treatment.

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2010, 06:17 AM   #657
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Here here!
Old October 11 2010, 07:00 AM   #658
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

Yeah, it'd be nice. But who's going to pay for it?

Essentially, Paramount would have to re-open the entire post-production department to do this ... and basically re-cut the entire series. That's editors, foley artists, producers, visual effects artists, payroll, crafty, everything .... in short -- it ain't going to be cheap to make or to buy.

Given how cheap Paramount has been in the past with regard to this franchise, I don't see it happening any time soon.
Old October 11 2010, 07:06 AM   #659
billcosby
Commodore

*shrug*
Either it will be remastered or not. But I entirely agree, bean counters will reduce it down to a number for certain.

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2010, 03:38 PM   #660
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
Essentially, Paramount would have to re-open the entire post-production department to do this ... and basically re-cut the entire series. That's editors, foley artists, producers, visual effects artists, payroll, crafty, everything
Wrong.
The audio was totally adequate when it was was remixed to 5.1 surround for the 2002 DVD releases.
Only the visuals need to be upgraded.

librarians, film-to-tape telecine operator, assistant editors, picture editors, visual effects department [CBS Digital would do the work (same company as TOS-R)] creating CGI models, CGI animation, colorists for final picture 'grading'.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote