RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,675
Posts: 5,429,779
Members: 24,823
Currently online: 548
Newest member: voyagerman49


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 28 2010, 09:16 AM   #631
RAMA
Vice Admiral
 
RAMA's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
Re: CBS Consumer Products VP confirms work being done

Just watching some scenes earlier tonight in "The Offspring"...I desperately want to see a wider selection of Starship classes in any remastering. Two or three appearances for the Excelsior Class is more than enough...where's the Ambassador, Cheyenne, or New Orleans? They HAVE to get rid of the left to right diagonal flyby shot of the E-D where it looks like a toy. Never ever use that shot again..I want a movie mentality to the shot selection of a remastering.

Ugh:



The 1000th ship of her class appearing for the 1000th time!!



RAMA
__________________
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. Carl Sagan
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2010, 05:00 PM   #632
RAMA
Vice Admiral
 
RAMA's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
Re: Star Trek TNG Remastered?

darkwing_duck1 wrote: View Post
In the case of Space:1999, wouldn't the fx shots be easier to remaster at high quality due to the fact they did most if not all their FX compositing "in camera"?
Yeah that occurred to me here:http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?...&postcount=628
__________________
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. Carl Sagan
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2010, 06:38 AM   #633
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral
 
Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...
Re: Star Trek TNG Remastered?

Space: 1999 is easier simply because it's all on film.

Of course, those wires holding up the Eagles that were only sometimes visible on the ol' Zenith are gonna show up like a sore thumb on HD...
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2010, 01:19 PM   #634
RAMA
Vice Admiral
 
RAMA's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
Re: Star Trek TNG Remastered?

News on the remastering:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Sta...bilities/14252
__________________
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. Carl Sagan
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31 2010, 05:04 PM   #635
Start Wreck
Fleet Captain
 
Start Wreck's Avatar
 
Re: Star Trek TNG Remastered?

Mark_Nguyen wrote: View Post
Do we REALLY need a re-editted and remastered "Shades of Gray"?
That'd be a painfully easy one to do, since most of the footage will already be edited by the time they get to it.

YARN wrote: View Post
The longer you wait, the more the film degrades, the harder it is to track down errant film canisters, and so on.
If it's stored properly, film lasts for a very long time.
I do hope it's been well kept and organised.

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Hopefully, if true, they can use it as a proving ground to perfect the technology to make it cheap and efficient. That way they may eventually be persuaded to do DS9 and VOY--I would assume transferring ENT to BR wouldn't be too difficult.
ENT is effectively HD-Ready right now. I have no doubt we'll see that on Blu-ray soon, probably before any of the other series.

swaaye wrote: View Post
Hopefully they have it ready for the next level of "TrueHD". Surely a resolution jump will happen again sometime down the road.
It will be scanned at 4K resolution, which is about double 1080p, if I recall correctly.
__________________
Fallen Star - My home-made sci-fi TV show
Start Wreck - My Star Trek spoof web comic
Doctor Who From The Start - A n00b does a blog
Start Wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2010, 07:12 PM   #636
jefferiestubes8
Commodore
 
Location: New York City
resolution for telecine for Blu-ray/HD syndication

Start Wreck wrote: View Post
swaaye wrote: View Post
Hopefully they have it ready for the next level of "TrueHD". Surely a resolution jump will happen again sometime down the road.
It will be scanned at 4K resolution, which is about double 1080p, if I recall correctly.
Look if TPTB Paramount/CBS Home Video decide to transfer TNG to syndicate on cable in HD, download as rental in HD, download to own in HD, or on Blu-ray in HD they will telecine the film at 1080p.
Only A-level feature films get a 4k telecine.


Start Wreck you may as well checkout:
Super Hi-vision (SHV) & Ultra High Definition Video (UHDV), Ultra High Definition Television (UHDTV) [(7680 x 4320) resolution]
http://trekbbs.com/showpost.php?p=3017865&postcount=82
as that will be around in 2020-2025.

For CBS Home Video to make money from the Star Trek TNG property they would be wise to have a product to sell in 2012-2013 on Blu-ray or they will lose out on the physical media market as the physical media disc market will fade out in 10 years.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2010, 02:07 AM   #637
jefferiestubes8
Commodore
 
Location: New York City
BOBW2 viewscreen FX shot - transmission breakups

When watching 'The Best of Both Worlds, Part Two', Ep#401 I noticed at 10:45 in that Admiral Hanson on the viewscreen was broken up.
Now that looks very standard definition NTSC video to me.
I'm guessing if there were a TNG-R done on a best-of or full season level the viewscreen shots when there was a data transmission breakup would be changed to a 'digital-video-breakup look' ala ENT or Star Trek XI (2009).

Since all face-to-face communication is digital since the 2000s via digital satellites wouldn't all data transmissions be a digital video signal with a "digital video look" artifacts during data transmission issues? We've all seen DVDs and DirectTV/DishNetwork digital satellite breakup & artifacting during transmission. It looks totally different that this season 4 episode from 1990 set in the 24th century.
I can't see the 24th century Starfleet reverting back to analog video processing/transmissions of any kind when digital data transmission of voice/audio transmissions became the norm in the 2000s with cable TV, satellite, fiber optics, and the IP video. Those all use digital video in some form.


This would be especially wrong during any video sent during a subspace transmission which by itself permitted the sending of data and messages across interstellar distances faster than the speed of light.
memory alpha mentions:
In fact, Starships rarely even monitored frequencies that traveled at the speed of light or slower.
What do you guys think?

Would you want an 'analog-video-artifact-looking' picture breakup on the viewscreen or should it look closer to VOY, and ENT viewscreen digital-video-artifact-looking picture breakups if they were to remaster TNG in HD?
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2010, 04:41 PM   #638
Dac
Commodore
 
Dac's Avatar
 
Location: The Essex wastes...
View Dac's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dac
Re: Star Trek TNG Remastered?

I'd agree with that. It's a very simple thing to do so I can't see why they wouldnt. Although on the flipside of that, I say you could explain away the "analogue" signal by the Borg jamming the communication, or the fact that the line went dead because the ship had been destroyed, leaving only background radiation to lock on to, which, after all is what white noise is.
Dac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2010, 07:49 PM   #639
jefferiestubes8
Commodore
 
Location: New York City
analog video artifacts on the viewscreen for face-to-face comm.

Dac wrote: View Post
I say you could explain away the "analogue" signal by the Borg jamming the communication, or the fact that the line went dead because the ship had been destroyed, leaving only background radiation to lock on to, which, after all is what white noise is.
But with digital video the video codec is decoded digitally and the video artifacts are completely different than analog video artifacts.
The transmission itself is a digital binary datastream.
Since the mid-1990s digital videocameras which convert the video signal to digital for processing and before storing or transmission became the standard way video was stored and transmitted. Really

That means all of the video would be a digital signal. There is no way it could breakup with analog video artifacts like in BOBW pt.2 unless done in the analog realm before transmission itself.
Since the rise of digital monitors and HDTVs we know that using digital connections like HDMI that the video signals stay in the digital realm from say a Blu-ray disc all the way to the monitor itself which does the conversion back to analog.
One would assume in 300 years from now the monitors would be 'digital' as well and only accept a fiber optic or binary digital signal over (obsolete) copper wiring.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2010, 08:43 PM   #640
swaaye
Lieutenant Commander
 
swaaye's Avatar
 
Re: Star Trek TNG Remastered?

Clearly, in the future, analog will be revisited.
swaaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2010, 05:32 PM   #641
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain
 
Doug Otte's Avatar
 
Re: Star Trek TNG Remastered?

swaaye wrote: View Post
Clearly, in the future, analog will be revisited.
Right - doesn't anybody remember Data's turntable and vinyl collection?

Doug
Doug Otte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2010, 10:16 AM   #642
Hober Mallow
Commodore
 
Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy
Re: Star Trek TNG Remastered?

How about the "record tape" on Kirk's Enterprise?

So, you mean someday Soundwave will get the last laugh?
__________________
"Beep... beep!" --Captain Pike
Hober Mallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2010, 06:43 PM   #643
Mytran
Fleet Captain
 
Mytran's Avatar
 
Location: North Wales
Re: Star Trek TNG Remastered?

Perhaps the analog-style effects are a feature of subspace radio communications?
Mytran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2010, 03:18 AM   #644
RAMA
Vice Admiral
 
RAMA's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
Re: BOBW2 viewscreen FX shot - transmission breakups

jefferiestubes8 wrote: View Post
When watching 'The Best of Both Worlds, Part Two', Ep#401 I noticed at 10:45 in that Admiral Hanson on the viewscreen was broken up.
Now that looks very standard definition NTSC video to me.
I'm guessing if there were a TNG-R done on a best-of or full season level the viewscreen shots when there was a data transmission breakup would be changed to a 'digital-video-breakup look' ala ENT or Star Trek XI (2009).

Since all face-to-face communication is digital since the 2000s via digital satellites wouldn't all data transmissions be a digital video signal with a "digital video look" artifacts during data transmission issues? We've all seen DVDs and DirectTV/DishNetwork digital satellite breakup & artifacting during transmission. It looks totally different that this season 4 episode from 1990 set in the 24th century.
I can't see the 24th century Starfleet reverting back to analog video processing/transmissions of any kind when digital data transmission of voice/audio transmissions became the norm in the 2000s with cable TV, satellite, fiber optics, and the IP video. Those all use digital video in some form.


This would be especially wrong during any video sent during a subspace transmission which by itself permitted the sending of data and messages across interstellar distances faster than the speed of light.
memory alpha mentions:
In fact, Starships rarely even monitored frequencies that traveled at the speed of light or slower.
What do you guys think?

Would you want an 'analog-video-artifact-looking' picture breakup on the viewscreen or should it look closer to VOY, and ENT viewscreen digital-video-artifact-looking picture breakups if they were to remaster TNG in HD?
I dont think they thought that far ahead..
__________________
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. Carl Sagan
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2010, 03:08 AM   #645
billcosby
Commodore
 
billcosby's Avatar
 
Location: billcosby
Re: Star Trek TNG Remastered?

I've been enjoying TNG recently on my newly acquired big (to me) tv and worrying about the actual original source for this stuff.

I knew the effects were video-based, but it was shot on 35mm film, yes?
Crossing my fingers for an eventual release. I agree all the effects will have to be redone. But what a masterpiece. TV shows rarely get better than TNG.

I was thinking there is kind of a "lost zone" for TV shows between the decline of film to videotape (or video just used for cheap shows) to the current usage of HD for everything... those shows in between, mostly from the 1980s. They might be doomed to look like crap on Blu-Ray.
__________________
My 1st Edition TrekCCG virtual expansion: http://billcosbytrekccg.blogspot.com/

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
remastered

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.