Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old October 21 2009, 07:17 PM   #286
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek TNG Remastered?

In "The Enterprise Incident" they changed the design of one of the Romulan ships. Originally, all three were retrofitted Klingon cruisers. But in the remastered version, one of them is now a Bird of Prey like in "Balance of Terror".
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2009, 07:47 PM   #287
Bertie
Lieutenant Commander

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
In "The Enterprise Incident" they changed the design of one of the Romulan ships. Originally, all three were retrofitted Klingon cruisers. But in the remastered version, one of them is now a Bird of Prey like in "Balance of Terror".
Yep. Also changed the station in "The Ultimate Computer" to something different (it was previously the same as in "Tribbles") and somewhere a Klingon "scout" that was just a light blotch got changed to be the cruiser.

But I believe that might be the extent of the changes in which one class/hull was changed to be a different class of ship entirely.

(Full list of this stuff at EAS.)
Bertie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2009, 09:20 PM   #288
Flake
Commodore

Maybe they should remaster BOBW into HD with new FX, then release it on Blu-Ray & premiere it on Scifi and then see what the response is like. To test the waters.

Even then, I still have sympathies with the people editing certain episodes - that one where some guy abducts the ships kids for instance... I would pay for the 35mm masters of that particular episode to be burnt and never seen again I am sure some others could join the list.

Use season 1 Wesley Crusher sweaters as fuel for the fire.
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2009, 03:32 AM   #289
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Flake wrote: View Post
Maybe they should remaster BOBW into HD with new FX, then release it on Blu-Ray & premiere it on Scifi and then see what the response is like. To test the waters.

Even then, I still have sympathies with the people editing certain episodes - that one where some guy abducts the ships kids for instance... I would pay for the 35mm masters of that particular episode to be burnt and never seen again I am sure some others could join the list.

Use season 1 Wesley Crusher sweaters as fuel for the fire.
Awesome idea...just as Doomsday served to test a lot of other CGI experiments with TOS!
Old October 25 2009, 01:38 PM   #290
Flake
Commodore

If they re-do the original ILM FX from Encounter at Farpoint they have potentially completed 60%+ of the effects in an instant because they where reused so much.

Or, even better, remaster them to 1080p Generations style and then try to match the 3D bits to it which I think the 3d wiz kids somewhere can do.

Erase all trace of the 4ft-er
Old October 25 2009, 06:25 PM   #291
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

If they re-do the original ILM FX from Encounter at Farpoint they have potentially completed 60%+ of the effects in an instant
While I have stated before that I think any TNG-R efforts would have 100% CGI work for visual effects some fans really want to see the original ILM models and I guess they would be willing to watch the branching Blu-ray with upconverted original FX shots as purists.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2009, 07:44 PM   #292
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

RAMA wrote: View Post
just as Doomsday served to test a lot of other CGI experiments with TOS!
Star Trek season 2 Blu-ray
special feature has
three [BD-Live] bonus features on the development of the new visual effects for "The Doomsday Machine"
if you are interested...
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26 2009, 12:09 AM   #293
Flake
Commodore

jefferiestubes8 wrote: View Post
If they re-do the original ILM FX from Encounter at Farpoint they have potentially completed 60%+ of the effects in an instant
While I have stated before that I think any TNG-R efforts would have 100% CGI work for visual effects some fans really want to see the original ILM models and I guess they would be willing to watch the branching Blu-ray with upconverted original FX shots as purists.
I think the original ILM effects would be fine at 1920x1080, Generations proved this with the Saucer Separation & the Fly-by. I think the effects should be remastered at 1080p where possible because I don't think low-budget CGI can compare.

No low-budget CGI could reproduce the original ILM effects and there is some great model work as well, Time Squared for instance.

But that would be only half of it, right? Every transport or phaser blast or Holodeck 'Arch' & Holodeck doors opening into a corridor would need re-doing... massive effort. It must be twice or three times the work that went into TOS remastered? I say they skip the CGI as much as possible and rescue every single original effect they can, I think the majority of early FX scenes where the ILM Encounter at Farpoint FX simply overlaid on top of new stuff.

Might be an interesting to go though each episode and see what needs doing
Old October 28 2009, 04:40 AM   #294
TeutonicNights
Commander

Season two could massively profit from a remastering effort.

The effect shots are often terrible , but last for a while.
So if they had more time and money this time, they could make some of those episodes very special.

Take an episode like "The Measure of a Man" for example (watched it today). The FX consist mainly of the Enterprise circling around "Regula 1", but those shots are rather long (and incredibly poor- the starfield...is terrible).
They could replace the station (like they did with the Ultimate Computer) and give us many awesome angle shots.
Or the scene when Philippa and Picard stand at the window and an ugly, odd-colored E flies by outside. That could be remade pretty cool.

Seriously, some of those early TNG FX look like cheap placeholders, anyway. TNG, maybe much more than TOS (which sometimes had very little FX to replace in the first place), would greatly benefit from a dedicated remastering.

Also, they wouldn't really need to "hold back", to not interfere with the 80's look like they tried in TOSR. At least I hope they wouldn't do that for TNG.

Also, half the Quadrant looks like Angel One. Things like these need to be changed, anyway.
TeutonicNights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28 2009, 03:03 PM   #295
RAMA
Vice Admiral

If only Paramount/CBS could see how much attention this remastering effort is getting here....
Old October 28 2009, 04:16 PM   #296
Bertie
Lieutenant Commander

I think the original ILM effects would be fine at 1920x1080, Generations proved this with the Saucer Separation & the Fly-by. I think the effects should be remastered at 1080p where possible because I don't think low-budget CGI can compare.

No low-budget CGI could reproduce the original ILM effects and there
While I can partly sympathize with this, image quality isn't all that matters — image variety matters too. Going back and whacking all the "thick rim" Enterprise shots in favor of the Season 1/2/Generations model might result in some better quality at HD resolutions, but really, that's an awfully limited palette of stock film to cover seven seasons worth of TNG.

In TOS-R, the extra variety in the hero ship flybys and such is a good thing.
Bertie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2009, 01:49 AM   #297
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

But that would be only half of it, right? Every transport or phaser blast or Holodeck 'Arch' & Holodeck doors opening into a corridor would need re-doing... massive effort.
Redoing the FX is going to be the least challenging aspect of this project.
Old October 29 2009, 04:00 AM   #298
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Bertie wrote: View Post

No low-budget CGI could reproduce the original ILM effects and there
While I can partly sympathize with this, image quality isn't all that matters — image variety matters too.
Variety matters when you've got a major storypoint, otherwise it is just background. That's why it is criminal to reuse the BoP blast from TUC in GEN, but fine to trot out the drydock TMP stuff in TWOK.

Most generic TNG stuff is fine, except the 2fter. If you can deal with how bad the -d looks in any size, you should be able to put up with the rest.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2009, 04:14 AM   #299
TeutonicNights
Commander

Watched more of season two... Heck the BOP FX in "A matter of honor" were absolute shit!
And the planets...ugh.
TeutonicNights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29 2009, 01:55 PM   #300
Anwar
Vice Admiral

I'd like it if they replaced a few of those scenes where the ENT meets with another ship and it's always the Excelsior class. Maybe just add some variety by making them other ship classes half of the time.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote