Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old May 11 2009, 12:58 AM   #16
Praetorian
Captain

Re: Star Trek TNG Remastered?

Hum...the early score was mostly orchestral with some synthesizer for flavor...And it was hardly awful, the early years *had* the best scores. Dennis McCarthy and Ron Jones in full strenght before they were neutered and eventually fired in the case of Jones...
There are *some* scores were Jones used more synthesizer than usual (specially in late Season 1 and early Season 3), but we are talking about the man which delivered masterpiece after masterpiece...
You didn't like stuff like the "Borg Voice Chorus" in Best of Both Worlds?
McCarthy rarely used synthesizer, the only cues I remember are from Encounter at Farpoint...
Jay Chattaway would also use synthesizer during all the years of his work so it wasn't a "early TNG thing" only...
Dennis Bell too I think.

And of course the master of them all, Jerry Goldsmith was quite fond of using synthesizer and if there's a man that defined Star Trek music it was him...

By the way, the only season of Star Trek that really used synthesizer scores, i.e. full blown synthesizer scores, was Enterprise's Fourth due to budgetary cuts. And it wasn't that bad...

I admit I tend to prefer fully orchestral scores, and some of those Jones' scores were borderline but I thought it was good nonetheless.

Just curious, which season of TNG (and/or Modern Trek) you consider had the best scores?
Old May 11 2009, 03:49 AM   #17
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Eh, if they did remaster it the only changes I'd go for would be changing some of the external shots of the Ent-D with another Fed ship so that the other vessel was different each time and not always the same Excelsior model. And maybe changed a few of the planets.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 01:26 AM   #18
Meteo
Cadet

Pretty good, like the Cheyenne, and the Bradbury...
Meteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 08:13 AM   #19
Captain Euphoria
Commander

View Captain Euphoria's Twitter Profile

How about just leave it alone as is? TNG was presented in standard definition video. That's how it's SUPPOSED to look. That's how it DOES look. Why not just release full seasons on single Blu-Ray discs and let the Blu-Ray players do the upconverting? I know it's not the same as full HD (believe me, I'm a stickler for this) but that's how the show looks. That's how I remember it looking. Why re-do it? Would you want to re-do the special effects for 2001 simply because you can? What about the old Muppet Show? That was recorded and edited on video tape and it looks exactly like it should -- like it was MADE. Why spend the money?
Old May 12 2009, 10:38 PM   #20
Falcor5
Fleet Captain

Over on Trekweb there was a recent chat with the Okudas with a few questions about TNG on bluray. One good thing they said in the interview is that they recently asked paramount if the negatives are still in storage and they said they are still safe. Here is the quote:

Bill Justin also asks: "Do the 35mm film negatives from Star Trek: The Next Generation still exist (from both principle photography and visual effects) and if so what is the likelihood that CBS would greenlight a remastering project for that show -- provided that the new film is a huge success for Paramount and your Star Trek: Remastered Blu-rays also sell well? (P.S. I am a proud owner of Season One on Blu-ray!)" That was also expressed a few years back from Bill Hunt on The Digital Bits who believes the effects from TNG are in need of an upgrade.

mikeanddeniseokuda As far as we know, virtually all of the original camera negative from ST:TNG is still in storage. (We asked, several years ago.) Remastering TNG would be a much bigger project than it was for the original series, but then again, there are a LOT of people who really love the adventures of Captain Picard and company. Star Trek: The Next Generation holds a special place in our hearts, and we'd love to see it in glorious HD.
Check out the chat transcript here: http://trekweb.com/articles/2009/05/...se-Okuda.shtml
Falcor5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2009, 12:43 AM   #21
Klaitu
Commodore

Jiraiya wrote: View Post
While the FX technology was lightyears ahead of the shoestring-budget FX seen in the original TOS 2 decades before, the FX technology seen in the first few seasons of TNG were kind of klunky when compared to even the remastered TOS FX.

Has anyone heard of a possible remastered edition of TNG?

J
I haven't heard anything, but if they did it, I'd be first in line to buy it.
Swashbuckling Space-Hero.
Klaitu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2009, 01:12 AM   #22
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

They should do new fan collectives first (with overlaps of already released DVD collectives).
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2009, 02:15 AM   #23
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Excellent news!!!
Old May 13 2009, 12:41 PM   #24
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

RAMA
There has been no 'news' since August 7, 2007 that
They further revealed that tests had been done for a possible future Star Trek: The Next Generation - Remastered effort.
Falcor5's post
Just because Mike & Denise Okuda want to see TNG series in HD (like some of us too) doesn't make it news of any announcement. They even say they asked several years ago.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2009, 02:25 AM   #25
RAMA
Vice Admiral

jefferiestubes8 wrote: View Post
RAMA
They further revealed that tests had been done for a possible future Star Trek: The Next Generation - Remastered effort.
Falcor5's post
Just because Mike & Denise Okuda want to see TNG series in HD (like some of us too) doesn't make it news of any announcement. They even say they asked several years ago.
I was commenting on the existence of the original tapes, which up till now, I have not seen a straight answer about!

RAMA
Old May 14 2009, 03:42 AM   #26
trevanian
Rear Admiral

RAMA wrote: View Post
RAMA
Falcor5's post
I was commenting on the existence of the original tapes, which up till now, I have not seen a straight answer about!

RAMA
What tapes? They were talking about celluloid.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2009, 07:03 PM   #27
RAMA
Vice Admiral

trevanian wrote: View Post
RAMA
Falcor5's post

RAMA
What tapes? They were talking about celluloid.
Pardon: "original 35mm film negatives". I apologize for the earlier use of BB shorthand.

RAMA
Old May 17 2009, 05:07 AM   #28
NJOberheim
Captain

Pardon: "original 35mm film negatives". I apologize for the earlier use of BB shorthand.

RAMA
Get it right RAMA!

I would definetly be first in line to pick up all the 24 century treks in HD also. Although I own all the series' on DVD, I find them difficult to watch now that I have a 50" Plasma.
NJOberheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2009, 01:37 PM   #29
Cyrus
Rear Admiral

We are in the high definition era. If they don't want the show to fade into obscurity then they better do an HD version eventually.

I demand it.
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2009, 01:45 PM   #30
Zeppster
Commodore

There will be HD versions of all Trek eventually.
Zeppster is offline   Reply With Quote