RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,874
Posts: 5,329,017
Members: 24,556
Currently online: 614
Newest member: EvyR55

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Inquisition
By: Michelle on Jul 12

Cubify Star Trek 3DMe Mini Figurines
By: T'Bonz on Jul 11

Latest Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Jul 10

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 4 2009, 01:20 PM   #196
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral
 
Gep Malakai's Avatar
 
Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai
Re: Star Trek TNG Remastered?

trevanian wrote: View Post
This is the TNG forum, not a FanFiction thread.
If you've got work done by quality artists--like the folks who worked on Trek XI--Dennis is right. On the other hand, you can also get images like the one ST-One posted, which, were it not for your statement that you'd seen the model elements as part of your job, I would've thought came from some kind of fan-film.
__________________
"From the darkness you must fall, failed and weak, to darkness all."
-Kataris
Gep Malakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2009, 02:09 PM   #197
trevanian
Rear Admiral
 
trevanian's Avatar
 
Re: Star Trek TNG Remastered?

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
trevanian wrote: View Post
This is the TNG forum, not a FanFiction thread.
If you've got work done by quality artists--like the folks who worked on Trek XI--Dennis is right. On the other hand, you can also get images like the one ST-One posted, which, were it not for your statement that you'd seen the model elements as part of your job, I would've thought came from some kind of fan-film.
Didn't see it as part of a job, just in a book I bought. It IS from the last SW prequel, ain't it? Same company that did Abrams' thing?
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2009, 03:06 PM   #198
ST-One
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Germany - with UHC since the early 1900s
Re: Star Trek TNG Remastered?

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
trevanian wrote: View Post
This is the TNG forum, not a FanFiction thread.
If you've got work done by quality artists--like the folks who worked on Trek XI--Dennis is right. On the other hand, you can also get images like the one ST-One posted, which, were it not for your statement that you'd seen the model elements as part of your job, I would've thought came from some kind of fan-film.
Well, it's an actual image from ROTS.
And, yes, there is a huge quality difference between what ILM did on that film and what they did on Star Trek.
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2009, 09:31 PM   #199
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral
 
Gep Malakai's Avatar
 
Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai
Re: Star Trek TNG Remastered?

trevanian wrote: View Post
It IS from the last SW prequel, ain't it? Same company that did Abrams' thing?
ILM, yes. They just did a much better job in Trek XI.
__________________
"From the darkness you must fall, failed and weak, to darkness all."
-Kataris
Gep Malakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2009, 01:27 AM   #200
Captain Fine
Fleet Captain
 
Captain Fine's Avatar
 
Location: Toronto, ON
View Captain Fine's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Captain Fine Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Fine Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Fine
Re: Star Trek TNG Remastered?

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
trevanian wrote: View Post
It IS from the last SW prequel, ain't it? Same company that did Abrams' thing?
ILM, yes. They just did a much better job in Trek XI.
I'd guess because a) there's a lot less of it to do (Abrams' wanted the movie to feel as REAL as possible) and b) they had waaay more time to tweak it and make sure it was perfect
__________________
Formerly known as RegentWorf. But after seven years on this BBS, I went into pine farr and regenerated into Captain Fine.
Captain Fine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2009, 01:43 PM   #201
ST-One
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Germany - with UHC since the early 1900s
Re: Star Trek TNG Remastered?

Captain Fine wrote: View Post
Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
trevanian wrote: View Post
It IS from the last SW prequel, ain't it? Same company that did Abrams' thing?
ILM, yes. They just did a much better job in Trek XI.
I'd guess because a) there's a lot less of it to do (Abrams' wanted the movie to feel as REAL as possible) and b) they had waaay more time to tweak it and make sure it was perfect
As far as I know the film was finished for its original release-date in December '08.
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2009, 05:26 PM   #202
jefferiestubes8
Commodore
 
Location: New York City
Re: Star Trek TNG Remastered?

Captain Fine wrote: View Post
RAMA wrote: View Post
An interesting post on the STNG remastering:

http://www.dvdtown.com/messageboard/topic/8274/3/0
Even though the series was edited on video tape care was often taken at that time to reference KeyKode (the film equivalent of timecode) either by retaining this information in the extra timecode bits on the video tape or by transfer logs which match the videotape EDL to the film negatives' KeyKode. This makes finding the shots and re-cutting them quite easy.
Hmm sounds promising no??? Is this quote accurate/reliable?
It was a TV series on a budget and a TV schedule not a feature film. I highly doubt 22 episodes each season had notes that were meticulously kept about the footage and the transfer logs. Nor did they most likely keep the 1" videotapes or 3/4" dubs of a timecode/keycode burn-in window roughcut.
We know Paramount saved the 35mm camera negative from the above post since Michael Okuda confirmed that with Paramount but that is a lot of footage.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5 2009, 05:30 PM   #203
jefferiestubes8
Commodore
 
Location: New York City
TNG episode director cuts

AuntKate brought up something on another thread about a memorable episode
AuntKate wrote: View Post
the TNG episode "Genesis" scared my boys to death (they were about 10 and 7). Scared me, too!

Memory Alpha mentions:
* This episode won an Emmy Award for Outstanding Individual Achievement in Sound Mixing for a Drama Series; it was also nominated for Outstanding Individual Achievement in Sound Editing for a Series and Outstanding Individual Achievement in Makeup for a Series.
This is the only episode of the series directed by Gates McFadden (Beverly Crusher), and the first episode of Star Trek directed by a female cast member.
even though:
production work was hindered by the California earthquake of 1994, and McFadden did not have sufficient time to produce her own "cut" of the episode as a result).
I wonder what a 'director's cut' would look like?
Perhaps if TNG does eventually get a TNG-R a few episodes will get revisited and get a 'director's cut' if Paramount/CBS and Gates McFadden were interested in doing it. That itself would raise the price for remastering those episodes as:
1. they may increase running time of the episode
2. music cues would no longer be the same
3. would need additional sound FX
4. would need to have a complete remix on the sound for all scenes changed and music, FX added.
5. they would need to retelecine more of the original camera negative for the director to be able to look at (even if just in standard definition) to do a new edit, and then the selects would have to be retelecined at high definition to conform to the new edit.

Perhaps if a fan-collective of 8 episodes were done as a test in HD for Blu-ray it could be director's cuts of a few? Would that be enough to get people to buy them in HD?
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6 2009, 09:02 PM   #204
Malcolm Orr
Ensign
 
Re: Star Trek TNG Remastered?

jefferiestubes8 wrote: View Post
Captain Fine wrote: View Post
RAMA wrote: View Post
An interesting post on the STNG remastering:

http://www.dvdtown.com/messageboard/topic/8274/3/0
Hmm sounds promising no??? Is this quote accurate/reliable?
It was a TV series on a budget and a TV schedule not a feature film. I highly doubt 22 episodes each season had notes that were meticulously kept about the footage and the transfer logs. Nor did they most likely keep the 1" videotapes or 3/4" dubs of a timecode/keycode burn-in window roughcut.
We know Paramount saved the 35mm camera negative from the above post since Michael Okuda confirmed that with Paramount but that is a lot of footage.
Yet they were able to find the exact scene they wanted from Menage a Trois for scanning for the finale of Enterprise, so presumably they are indexed in some way...
Malcolm Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2009, 10:31 PM   #205
Butters
Captain
 
Butters's Avatar
 
Location: The Summerland
Re: Star Trek TNG Remastered?

So a lot of fans think TNG would transfer to HD quite adequately without a lucas style interference of the effects, and I don't buy it. And then I watch "Thine Own Self" on Virgin 1 and I have to ask what exactly is being smoked? Data has his face torn off, flashing lights aplenty. Now, in all honesty, how can anyone defend these effects? His face is swollen to accomodate the interior detail but it looks terrible. Really terrible. OK for the day maybe, but the day as passed.

How could anyone in charge of a HD release let this episode pass without a major rework and expect to find further work?

To those who argue the original effects are adequate, I say, get real, and watch the series again. Much of it stood up on a 12"" black and white portable in the late eighties, but now? Not even close to acceptable.
Butters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2009, 10:36 PM   #206
jefferiestubes8
Commodore
 
Location: New York City
Re: Star Trek TNG Remastered?

Butters wrote: View Post
How could anyone in charge of a HD release let this episode pass without a major rework and expect to find further work?

To those who argue the original effects are adequate, I say, get real, and watch the series again. Much of it stood up on a 12"" black and white portable in the late eighties, but now? Not even close to acceptable.
I agree and just like TOS-R if it happens we'll see TNG-R. Visual effects would be redone in CGI. Physical live-action effects may not be redone though. It would be up to the producers. It's purly a cost thing and there WILL BE a budget they have to keep to.

There a 7 seasons. Before committing they may decide to do a fan collective type of thing to see about cost and time to do say 8 episodes before making the decision to commit resources to the entire season 1.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2009, 10:58 PM   #207
Hober Mallow
Commodore
 
Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy
Re: Star Trek TNG Remastered?

Butters wrote: View Post
So a lot of fans think TNG would transfer to HD quite adequately without a lucas style interference of the effects, and I don't buy it. And then I watch "Thine Own Self" on Virgin 1 and I have to ask what exactly is being smoked? Data has his face torn off, flashing lights aplenty. Now, in all honesty, how can anyone defend these effects?
Simple. Those are the FX of the show. The horribly unconvincing plane flying at the beginning of Casablanca wasn't changed when it went to blu-ray because that's part of the original movie. I'm against changing things for the sake of changing things; the whole point of doing HD transfers is to preserve the original content, not change anything. No colorizing movies for me, no crazy digital changes just because we can. The HD transfer of the Twilight Zone changes absolutely none of the many silly-looking FX.

However, that argument doesn't even matter. The TNG remaster folks would have no choice but to change the FX. TNG will never get a proper HD transfer without all new FX. So your argument and mine is neither here nor there.
__________________
"Beep... beep!" --Captain Pike
Hober Mallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2009, 05:15 AM   #208
Destructor
Commodore
 
Destructor's Avatar
 
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Re: Star Trek TNG Remastered?

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
However, that argument doesn't even matter. The TNG remaster folks would have no choice but to change the FX. TNG will never get a proper HD transfer without all new FX. So your argument and mine is neither here nor there.
Well... redoing digital effects would have no bearing on practical effects, such as Data's facial damage in Thine Own Self.
Destructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2009, 01:17 PM   #209
jefferiestubes8
Commodore
 
Location: New York City
Re: Star Trek TNG Remastered?

Destructor wrote: View Post
Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
The TNG remaster folks would have no choice but to change the FX.
Well... redoing digital effects would have no bearing on practical effects, such as Data's facial damage in Thine Own Self.
The 35mm resolution transferred to 1080p would show practical effects very sharply. It also shows flaws of props and makeup that do not hold up beyond 500lines of resolution.
The effects quality in question for many posts on this thread is the early CG visual effects that do not hold up very well in the first few seasons.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2009, 09:37 AM   #210
Hober Mallow
Commodore
 
Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy
Re: Star Trek TNG Remastered?

Something just occurred to me.

Generations is about to be released on blu-ray. I had forgotten that there was one TV series stock shot of the ship reused, yet it didn't look like crap on the big screen and will presumeably be in high definition on the blu-ray release. Doesn't this imply there are still film masters of the ship shots at least?
__________________
"Beep... beep!" --Captain Pike
Hober Mallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
remastered

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.