Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 11 2009, 07:28 PM   #1
J47
Commander

AICN reviews "Flash Forward" Pilot (Spoilers)

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/41030

So, basically, they lifted the premise of a 2 minute and 17 second flash forward, and then completely stripped away the rest of the plot from the novel. I'm not entirely convinced this is a bad approach, if only because the ending of the novel was godawful.

The review mentions the inherent problem with the flash only being six months ahead...where do we go from here? Outside of being an automatic reset button, I don't see any advantage to shortening the time line of events.
J47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2009, 08:08 PM   #2
Trent Roman
Rear Admiral

Re: AICN reviews "Flash Forward" Pilot (Spoilers)

J47 wrote: View Post
The review mentions the inherent problem with the flash only being six months ahead...where do we go from here? Outside of being an automatic reset button, I don't see any advantage to shortening the time line of events.
While I'm none too pleased about the way the novel's been hacked up, this part actually makes sense to me: this way the season builds up to the events seen in the first episode, like an internal countdown with--if done right--the associated suspense. And since they're changing so much from the novel already, I'm almost certain they'll modify the cause of the flash forward such that there will be a second event in the season finale. After all, if they kept to a timeframe of years, it would take forever to see the payoff and the entire premise of the show would be a one-time phenomenon; it makes sense to me that the flash forward should be a plot device used intermittently.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman
Old May 11 2009, 10:58 PM   #3
J47
Commander

Actually, that's a good point. They wouldn't even need to change the nature of the flash...IIRC, didn't the first glimpse into the future correspond with another flash forward at that point in time (something along the lines of they were able to inhabit their bodies in the future because their consciousnesses had flashed at that point)? Like you said, that would make for a more effective payoff.
J47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 01:23 AM   #4
Candlelight
Admiral

Plus they secure themselves a complete story if the show gets cancelled, but leave enough hanging if they get renewed.